Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stoke offer free coach travel to all away games next season

STOKE CITY are to offer their supporters free coach travel to all of their Premier League games in the 2013-14 season, the Club has announced today.

It is believed to be the first time any side in England’s top four divisions has undertaken such a bold initiative for an entire campaign.
Coaches will leave from the Britannia Stadium for all 19 of the Potters’ top flight matches, starting with their Premier League curtain raiser against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday 17th August.
The Club is introducing the initiative on the back of the increase in their income delivered by the new TV deals, in a bid to try and ease the financial burden on fans who follow City on their travels.
Chief Executive Tony Scholes said: “As a Club we are conscious that following football can be an expensive business, especially at a time when so many people are feeling the squeeze financially.

“We work hard to try and provide our supporters with value for money which is why we have not increased our ticket prices since being promoted to the Premier League in 2008.

“However, we realise how expensive following the Club away from home can be for supporters and we’re delighted to be able to offer free coach travel and hope it encourages more of them to give us their fantastic backing away from home.”

We used to get one game a season, shows how much has changed since we left.

Comments

• top marks to Stoke, wonder if any other prem sides will follow their lead
  • Brilliant. What more could you ask for.
  • Fantastic gesture. Most unexpected in this day and age!
  • Amazing.

Top, top marks.
  • That's amazing, top effort there by the club.

Also takes the sting out of the prices involved with PL games
  • Good for them
  • speechless.
  • Brilliant. What more could you ask for.

Free train travel? What about car drivers? We should get free petrol? Typical Charlton Stoke ignoring "real" fans, blah blah blah

: - )
  • Well done Stoke!
  • Great gesture.

Maybe Man Utd could offer fans free coaches from London for all their home games.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's quality, I doff my cap!

No excuse for not selling out ever now though haha.
  • Well played Stoke. Great idea
  • That really is an incredible gesture and the extra support up and down the country could easily be worth a few extra points come the end of the season.
  • Shame they'll be watching shite, but fair play
  • good that they're finally passing on the tv money on to the fans! Great gesture.
  • Top Draw :)
  • top marks to Stoke, wonder if any other prem sides will follow their lead

Can you imagine Daniel Levy agreeing to that at Spurs? No chance. He cant make any money from it!

• There is a catch ... you have to watch Stoke
  • I'm pleased they've finally sorted it out. I gather it had been up in the air for sometime :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done , Stoke. What a fantastic gesture.

Club has gone up in my estimation.
  • Nice gesture but couldn't pay me to get a coach.
  • Nice gesture indeed.

The pessimist in me thinks this is the thin edge of the wedge though....as footy on TV becomes more regular and people stop going to games Prem teams will have to lower ticket prices (West Ham will soon have an Olympic stadium to fill for example) and what will that do to attendances outside the PL?
  • MrOneLung said:

Nice gesture but couldn't pay me to get a coach.

I'm with you MrOneLung. Restricted speed coach travel is third class.

• MrOneLung said:

Nice gesture but couldn't pay me to get a coach.

I'm with you MrOneLung. Restricted speed coach travel is third class.

Agree, you can't beat the train.
  • Club looking after their loyal fans
    Brilliant
  • Stoke City has a VERY rich and VERY committed chairman .. he also recognises that the potteries is (and has for a long time) going through hard financial times with reduced wages and high unemployment especially amongst the young. I am sure that his 'gift' is not purely altruistic as he wants his club to be well supported and to prosper but it is a very nice gesture from a rich man who loves his football.

• Chelsea to offer discounted travel to 10 games. £10 by coach or train to Man U.
  • A good idea. As an outsider looking in, Stoke do seem to have gone stale. A gesture like this is perfect for uniting the club with it's supporters home and away. Money well spent.
  • I think there is a real danger Curbs will suffer the "Curbs effect" now Pulis has gone.

Was it their fans moaning about boring midtable premiership football as in our case or did he just decide to walk?