Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford sign 7 players

This is what we're competing with - puts the Richard Wood signing in perspective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23374082

Watford have confirmed the permanent signings of seven players from sister club Udinese, including Italy international Diego Fabbrini.

Forward Fabbrini, 22, has signed a deal until 2017, while defender Gabriele Angella has agreed a five-year deal.

Last year's loanee midfielders Almen Abdi and Cristian Battocchio have returned on three-year contracts.

The club also expects deals for Marco Cassetti, Davide Faraoni and Javier Acuna to be confirmed.

On top of those seven Daniel Pudil will join from Granada following his loan spell last season.

The Hornets, who are under a transfer embargo, are waiting for ratification from the Football League for the latter four, but do not anticipate any problems.

Under the terms of the embargo, Watford can still sign players with prior permission from league officials.

Udinese have become a source of players for Watford as both clubs are owned by the Pozzo family, with 10 players making a loan switch between Stadio Friuli and Vicarage Road last season.

Swedish defender Joel Ekstrand and Scotland-born midfielder Ikechi Anya, who were two of those loanees last season, are training with the squad and are also expected to join.

Fabbrini has scored twice in 21 Serie A games for Udinese and netted once in eight during a loan spell at Palermo last season.

His one and only senior Italy appearance came as a substitute in last summer's 2-1 friendly defeat by England.

Angella is a 24-year-old Italian defender who scored four times in 14 Serie A appearances last season.

Abdi, 26, and Battocchio, 21, will be familiar to Hornets fans after playing 60 games between them last season to help Watford reach the Championship play-off final.

Paraguayan striker Acuna, 25, has agreed a deal until 2016, having joined Udinese from Real Madrid B earlier this summer.

The 21-year-old Faraoni is a former Inter defender who played 11 times for Udinese in Serie A last season and has signed terms until 2018.

Meanwhile, Czech full-back Pudil, 27, and defender Cassetti, 36, who were influential for Gianfranco Zola's side last season, have signed until 2017 and 2014 respectively.

Comments

• Options
    It's a complete mockery of the system that a club with a current transfer embargo over them can sign 7 players
  • Options
    They are, clearly, going to be one of the sides to beat last season. it would have been so much better if they had beaten Palace in the play off final, for more reason than one!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

It's a complete mockery of the system that a club with a current transfer embargo

It wasn't in reality.

We could buy players but just needed league approval.

The media mis-lead lot of people on that issue but then that isn't a surprise! and I certainly don't blame you for it.

We were always going to sign players on a permanent basis hence even we voted to reduced the number of overseas loans now.
  • Options

They are, clearly, going to be one of the sides to beat last season. it would have been so much better if they had beaten Palace in the play off final, for more reason than one!

I don't particularly rate Zola - indeed with the squad they had last season and the quality of the football they played (at times), they really should have gone up automatically - 79 points is a very low hurdle historically.

• Options
    any news on Viydra (sp) ??
  • Options
    But can they do it on a wet wednesday night at The Valley!

bring on the fancy dans
  • Options

any news on Viydra (sp) ??

Zola is still hoping he will come back..but it seems the agent is determined to get Vydra a move to the Premier leagur
  • Options
    Thanks for the info SH

Outstanding striker. Would go as far to say he could play champions league already. His one on one finishing is superb, takes it early an passes the ball between keeper and post.

Sorry SH, but I am hoping he is not in the champs next season as he is too too good . Him and deeney upfront and I expect u to walk the league now your overseas players are bedded into the team

I don't agree with the way u are allowed to bend the rules but that's an issue for the rule makers not for u. Great style of football though but I think forresteri is a tosser !
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if they can gel together quickly as last season it took some time which maybe cost us early points.

Of course we will expect to do well - but its the Championship and we'd probably still lose at Barnsley with Messi and Ronaldo in the side!
  • Options

It's a complete mockery of the system that a club with a current transfer embargo

It wasn't in reality.

We could buy players but just needed league approval.

The media mis-lead lot of people on that issue but then that isn't a surprise! and I certainly don't blame you for it.

We were always going to sign players on a permanent basis hence even we voted to reduced the number of overseas loans now.
    Defending the indefensible again.
    Just shows the punishment was a joke, pretty much like the loans they had last season.
    I wonder if they paid market value for these players?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    The punishment was for a situation created by the previous owner Bassini who was himself banned from football for 3 years which suggests they clearly felt he was at fault rather than the club - it wasn't connected to the Pozzos and their dealings.

Yes saying we have a transfer embargo and then allowing players to sign does seem to be a bit of cop out by the FL (they might as well not said we had one..)

Some were free transfers and others undisclosed fees...

Maybe Holloway and co should have done some research into what the Pozzos plan was long term rather than worrying about a short term situation that wasn't likely to happen again..and in the end didn't matter.
  • Options
    I REALLY hope they get relegated .. (though there is little chance of it happening)