Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mel Smith RIP

2»

Comments

• Sad and a shock. RIP Mel
  • Very sad indeed. Grew up with his comedy, NTNON and Alas Smith and Jones. So many favourites. Taken so young. RIP
  • Omg so sad loved Colin sandwich RIP Mel be sadly missed
  • rikofold said:

Very sad indeed. Grew up with his comedy, NTNON and Alas Smith and Jones. So many favourites. Taken so young. RIP

ditto, RIP.

• Very Sad ,RIP
  • Yes, very talented and funny man. R.I.P.
  • Was out yesterday when news broke of this. Just shock amongst everyone who was with me.

Grew up looking forward to seeing NTNOCN every week & then Alas Smith & Jones. Brilliant comedian & actor, truly made me laugh out loud so many times.

Rest in Peace Mel
  • edited July 2013
    I saw Mel on the TV about a year ago, probably some charity programme like red nose day.
    He was reprising the act ewehere he sits across the desk, opposite Griff Rhys Jones.
    I remarked at the time, how seriously unwell he looked.
    No great surprise to me I'm afraid.

Very sad. RIP Mel.

• I used to see him at Catford dogs when he was a youngster. His Dad was a Bookmaker in the cheap ring.

RIP Mel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really shocked when I heard this. Really made me think - he was not much older than me.

RIP Mel - loved your stuff, sorry there will be no more.
  • Only just heard this news from this thread.

Terrible shame.

Interesting to see how the careers (and lives) of him and GRJ took different paths.

• Great comic. RIP big man
  • By coincidence I ran into a contact today who knows Mel Smith - they both worked at the BBC together and she said it was a miracle he lived that long. Apparently back in the day going out on a bender at the BBC was known as getting "Smithed".
  • RIP

Does anyone remember that sitcom he did back in the late-80s, called Colin's Sandwich?

Absolutely brilliant.

• Not Again: Not the Nine O'Clock News.
    Tonight on BBC1 at 10-45pm. Story behind the series.
  • Not Again: Not the Nine O'Clock News.
    Tonight on BBC1 at 10-45pm. Story behind the series.

Yeap, have it on and bringing back a lot of memories of going to school the nextday and laughing all over again as we re-enatced it all over again.

• The Alas Smith & Jones episode shown in the Mel Smith tribute was bloody awful. So Dated . Shame really.

But funnily enough the Not Again: Not the Nine O'Clock News was as funny as i remember when i watched it as a kid. Brilliant.
  • The Alas Smith & Jones episode shown in the Mel Smith tribute was bloody awful. So Dated . Shame really.

But funnily enough the Not Again: Not the Nine O'Clock News was as funny as i remember when i watched it as a kid. Brilliant.

It was a compilation apparently - thought it was still quite funny myself.
  • I was looking for this for a while - hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVkNQtyqRc

RIP Mel