Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old charlton pics

A friend has posted some old photos on Facebook.
Thought they may be of interest on here.

Comments

• Options
    Love them mud bath shots.
  • Options
    Excellent!
  • Options
    good stuff PBS
  • Options
    Top row 4 along. - Are they playing in wellies ?
  • Options
    Brilliant, keep them coming!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant. Any idea where he got them?
  • Options
    Charlton Supporters about to set off circa 1946. The young lady arrowed is my mum now nearly 87 and still an Addick. Sorry about the quality of the photo.
  • Options
    Great photos.

Would be fantastic to these and the other fan photos collected together

Henske, love that one. You're not Gary T are you?
  • Options
    The 'we want Leary' photo.....wasn't that when he went on some kind of strike, refusing to play and ended up going to QPR. May have been also something to do with his cricketing commitments. I remember it was a sad way to end his time with us.
  • Options
    Hi Henry, No I'm not Gary T mate. Here's another photo. My Dad took this one. No idea who we were playing or when. Anyone recognise the Charlton players?
  • Options
    Great pics PBS
  • Options
    Here is a team photo from 1950
  • Options
    Great pictures. Loved Henske's first one. Off to Wembley?
  • Options
    I have many pre 1970 Charlton photos that will be up for auction over the coming months to raise money for the Greenwich and Bexley hospice. They include a team phoro of the 1921/1922 team.
  • Options

The 'we want Leary' photo.....wasn't that when he went on some kind of strike, refusing to play and ended up going to QPR. May have been also something to do with his cricketing commitments. I remember it was a sad way to end his time with us.

Johnny Summers sadly died in the summer which affected Leary badly and he wanted a break, given that as you mention he had played football and cricket continuously for many years, however Frank Hill, manager at the time, said no. Leary didn't show for training apparently and that was that. Hill flogging him (to QPR) at the first opportunity.

I was too young to be aware of all this as it happened but can remember my grandfather saying a year or so later, once I'd started watching, we should never have let Leary go as all he wanted was a break.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific photos: love the mudbath and the keepers in action. Who is featured in the most recent picture, fourth row, far right? Les Berry and Phil Warman, perhaps? And the keeper?
  • Options

Terrific photos: love the mudbath and the keepers in action. Who is featured in the most recent picture, fourth row, far right? Les Berry and Phil Warman, perhaps? And the keeper?

The keeper looks like Nicky Johns to me. Definitely Les Berry and the other defender does look like Warman.
  • Options

78/79 or 79/80 season against QPR. Berry, Nicky Johns, Steve Wicks (QPR). Racking my brains trying to work out who the dark haired fella is at the back post.
  • Options
    Henske said:

Hi Henry, No I'm not Gary T mate. Here's another photo. My Dad took this one. No idea who we were playing or when. Anyone recognise the Charlton players?

Jimmy Gauld?
  • Options
    Henske said:

No but i'm pretty sure thats Brunello in the flat cap

• Options
    Henske said:

Jimmy Gauld?
    shirty5 said:

78/79 or 79/80 season against QPR. Berry, Nicky Johns, Steve Wicks (QPR). Racking my brains trying to work out who the dark haired fella is at the back post.
    Is it Lawrie Madden?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Henske said:

Jimmy Gauld?
    shirty5 said:

Is it Lawrie Madden?
    Possibly Richard Wilson

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Henske said:

Jimmy Gauld?
    shirty5 said:

Is it Lawrie Madden?
    Possibly Richard Wilson

I don't believe it !

*sorry*

• Options
    It's strange: even just the body shape and angle of the legs identifies Nicky Johns. The defender on the post has the stature of Phil Warman, though I wouldn't recognise the face. I've just looked up the records: couldn't have been 1978-79 as proposed because we were in different divisions, but 1979-80 fits. I assume this was at The Valley: 19 April 1980, 2-2 (Robinson, Walker), attendance 6,975. A truly desperate season - finished rock bottom of the old second division with only six wins in 42 games - and only one win in the last 22! Ouch.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I don't think it's Lawrie Madden, but I wondered about Richard Wilson at first - except that he was a striker and it's a bit unlikely he would be defending the post. There was a photo of him playing in our veterans' team posted on CL fairly recently.