Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can we convert any of our non-strikers to strikers?

edited July 2013 in General Charlton
No disrespect intended to Pigott and Smith, but we're fairly well-stocked with good, intelligent footballers around the pitch and I was wondering if there's a case for playing someone unusual up front.

Hollands? Evina? Wilson? Pritch? Name other potentials...

Comments

• Options
    Hamer
  • Options
    I call this the Danny Butterfield Precedent, although it's obviously been going on long before he was around
  • Options
    Where is Waggy when we need him!
  • Options
    Phil Chappel
  • Options
    Don't think there's really a credible candidate.

We'll sign someone.....probably on loan.
  • Options
    Pritch up front xD as much as i love the bloke, please no .. : P
  • Options
    Bradley Pritchard is only 5-ft 7-ins. Have you forgotten the crucial Charlton height test?
  • Options
    I'd give Jackson more of a forward free role in front of the Midfield. As a top scorer we could do worse. Then have a midfield of :-
    Green, Pritchard, Gower, Harriot
    or
    Pritchard, Stephens/Hollands, Gower, Harriot.
  • Options
    Ronnie Moore, Arthur Horsfield.
  • Options
    Callum Harriot or JJ playing off a striker?

But seriously this would have to absolutely be the last option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We could always play Jason Euell instead
  • Options
    waggy....oh wait
  • Options
    Harriott, that is if he's not classified as a striker already .. he's nippy, confident, has scored a few .. he could be the new De Foe, though 1/2 an inch shorter !! ... need a lump up front ? .. Dervite although he is too valuable at the back
  • Options

Unless it works! Jackson maybe not, but Harriott might be a fantastic striker and we just don't know it, yet!
  • Options
    Andy Hughes
  • Options
    The answer is simply no.
  • Options

Unless it works! Jackson maybe not, but Harriott might be a fantastic striker and we just don't know it, yet!
    Didn't Harriott play off the striker for the U21's?
  • Options

Didn't Harriott play off the striker for the U21's?
    As skilled as he is,for me he's still a little bit too light and flimsy to be trying that at a senior level just yet. He'd need to be able to hold the ball up if the immediate pass is not on, and I am not convinced tricks alone are the answer. A few years down the line with experience and a bit of muscle and I think he could do very well in that position - whether it will be as an Addick remains to be seen...
  • Options
    why not Harriot? T.Henry was Left Mid and then changed to a striker
  • Options

why not Harriot? T.Henry was Left Mid and then changed to a striker

Yes, but he was Thierry Henry. One of the most gifted players of an entire generation. Walcott has undergone the same conversion, to distinctly less success.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe Pigott comes on, scores a hat trick in the first half, after 30 plus goals last year, and forgive me we ask a bloody silly question like this. I know the apology was offered to him and Smithy, I guess we are struggling to find anything to talk about. In fact we sold LLera who actually might have fitted the bill. Hot today isn't it ?
  • Options
    Worst comes to worst, we start the season with Kerm, Pigott, Azeez, Smith and Cook. I know there is a serious lack of experience but I think its better than playing someone completely out of position!
  • Options
    Chris Sutton or Paul Warhurst.
    Steve Staunton once scored a hat trick for Liverpool playing up front in a league cup game I think.

None of those are available though.
  • Options
    Harriott. He had a pretty free role with the U-21's, and was more effective than when played as a touchline-hugging winger. Plus the fact that he has found Championship defenders give him problems when he plays as a pure winger, and he has had to be subbed a few times. That and his defensive limitations make me think he'd be better as a striker, and I hope he gets the chance.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Ronnie Moore, Arthur Horsfield.

Can I just say Authur Horsfield isn't mentioned enough on this site.

He could still do a job for us. Would even make Yann look like a French powder puff,

Thanks for the memory of a proper footballer.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Gary Doherty!

And quite right, Grumpy, we need more Arthur H on here.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Chris Sutton or Paul Warhurst.
    Steve Staunton once scored a hat trick for Liverpool playing up front in a league cup game I think.

None of those are available though.

On the contrary, I'm fairly certain that all of those players are out of contract this summer and I'd bet that at least one of them would be prepared to sign for us if we guaranteed them games! ;-)
  • Options
    Morrison took his goal at Brizzle with aplomb last season.
  • Options
    Homebase do a striker conversion kit, but the knobs break off after about 6 months. I think Haynes was made from a couple of old wingers with one.
  • Options
    Walcott and Henry were both strikers converted to wingers in the first team, as their shooting was wayward and their pace was deathly to fbs.