Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ebbsfleet United vs Charlton XI

Comments

• Options
    Pigott is not ready for the Championship. I believe Conference South is the highest competitive level he has played at.

If we get someone in he needs to go out on loan till Xmas to league one or two.
  • Options

Pigott is not ready for the Championship. I believe Conference South is the highest competitive level he has played at.

no offence CS -this is not aimed directly at you- but Im getting quite weary of reading comments similar to yours like this every time the U 21's squad get a bit of time on the pitch and again deliver better quality football than the current supposed balance of the 1st team.

For the record -and again this isn't aimed at Clem- today's game against Ebbsfleet was always scheduled as a CAFC X1 game, then midweek it was re-assigned for the 1st team squad to ensure any players in the 1st team, who didn't get a full run out in yesterday's unfortunate lost game were able to get more pre-season minutes under their belt before the start of the season. To say the 1st half was underwhelming is an understatement and Ebbsfleet thoroughly deserved to be 2-0 up at half time, and the start of the 2nd half was not much better, it was only when the mass substitutions were made did the game change pace, gear and quality of football in Charlton's favour and within minutes we were putting Ebbslfeet under pressure with at least 2 or 3 well worked attacks resulting in an early shot just off target, a goal forma well worked corner taken by Muldoon nad finished well by Woods and at least 2 or 3 further chances - more than we saw in the entire preceding 65 minutes plus we then pretty well managed Ebbsfleet for the rest of the game....

At some stage we have to accept the quality of players in our U21's squad is possibly better than what we currently have in our 1st team and give them a chance...other players in bigger clubs than Charlton have started their 1st team careers at much younger ages than 18/19/20 and they weren't patronisingly called 'The Kids, youngster etc"

In my opinion Church made not-a-lot of his chances today and Piggott is way in front of him and also Mc Gurke looked average as did Jack Paxman, nothing for Callum Harriott nor Bradley Jordan or Muldoon to worry about as they are far more accomplished players.
    As for Munns - ex Spurs academy player- and yes, challenged in stature I give you that, but very composed on the ball in midfield and was not bossed off the ball... maybe with a player of his ability in middle of the park we would see less hoof it up benny football and more along the floor as we witnessed in the last 20 minutes Reality check, how tall is Lionel Messi and he ain't to shabby!

The back 4 of Osborne Feely Lennon and Fox were assured, there was good link up play with the midfield of Poyet, Muldoon, Munns made himself busy all over the midfield and Fox and Osborne provided decent wing outlets further up the pitch and Piggot was in or around the box to collect and either distribute or have a shot at goal.

....Can we please wake up and smell the coffee

• Options
    madadd this is a really interesting post, makes me smile and gives me hope. I repeat ad nauseum, what is the point of having any kind of development system if the players don't progress into the first team.
    In the early times when we had returned to the Valley the team was peppered all over with youngsters, some made it some didn't, but it was a good era and although we had to fasten our seat belts on occasion, we didn't get relegated, or really flirt with relegation either.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

madadd this is a really interesting post, makes me smile and gives me hope. I repeat ad nauseum, what is the point of having any kind of development system if the players don't progress into the first team.
    In the early times when we had returned to the Valley the team was peppered all over with youngsters, some made it some didn't, but it was a good era and although we had to fasten our seat belts on
    occasion, we didn't get relegated, or really flirt with relegation either.

glad i made you smile Seth, :) .... does this palce you in 'The For' camp ?
  • Options
    Well done madadd and well said.
  • Options
    We flirted with relegation last season and I doubt that at this point in his career Pigott can give us anything that Fuller or Haynes didn't. Pigott and Cousins need cameos to help them to the next level of their careers not being thrust into a team with the expectation and pressure of 18k fans on the shoulders.
  • Options
    madadd yes it does, all we are saying, is give kids a chance!
  • Options
    Where is Smith??
  • Options
    V, on loan to AFC Wombles so I hear
  • Options
    We saw what chucking Wagstaff in at the deep end did. Put him back 6-8 months.

I don't doubt that Pigott has the potential to be a decent player, what I do doubt is whether he has the mental or physical capacity to walk straight into a Championship season.

In my opinion he needs 6 months regular football at league 1 or 2 level before we are even thinking about using him regularly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, what have we learned this weekend? Well, it seems that every player other than Yann played either shit or rubbish and by the sounds of it, some were both shit and rubbish!

This is why i dont go too PSFs anymore. They tell us very little. They are to getthe players match fit and for the manager to see them and so he can get idea of attitudes etc.

The only real way for us, the fans to know how good our team is, is after the first game and then really know, after the last game!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    madadd said:

In my opinion Church made not-a-lot of his chances today and Piggott is way in front of him and also Mc Gurke looked average as did Jack Paxman, nothing for Callum Harriott nor Bradley Jordan or Muldoon to worry about as they are far more accomplished players.
    As for Munns - ex Spurs academy player- and yes, challenged in stature I give you that, but very composed on the ball in midfield and was not bossed off the ball... maybe with a player of his ability in middle of the park we would see less hoof it up benny football and more along the floor as we witnessed in the last 20 minutes Reality check, how tall is Lionel Messi and he ain't to shabby!

The back 4 of Osborne Feely Lennon and Fox were assured, there was good link up play with the midfield of Poyet, Muldoon, Munns made himself busy all over the midfield and Fox and Osborne provided decent wing outlets further up the pitch and Piggot was in or around the box to collect and either distribute or have a shot at goal.

I like Munns, but just can't see a manager in the Championship, for example, having the bottle to play him due to his size. Reminded me of Sammy Igoe, ex Pompey.

Pigott has something and Madadd is right, Pigott looks way in front of Church at present, but having only one senior striker is a joke.

• Options

feel sorry for Pigott as he jas been given very little game time with the 1st team squad this weekend

If Piggott was seriously in CP's plans for his season then surely he would have started ahead of McGurk and Church.

• Options

feel sorry for Pigott as he jas been given very little game time with the 1st team squad this weekend

If Piggott was seriously in CP's plans for his season then surely he would have started ahead of McGurk and Church.

I guess he felt he needed to try trialists?
  • Options

I guess he felt he needed to try trialists?

Agreed, he obviously know's what Piggott can do.

• Options
    Maybe he could do without Piggott getting injured as well before the season starts leaving us with one less Striker... Surely he'll be on the bench on Saturday at least?
  • Options
    Who was OG who did the Club's Twitter reports? I read through that thinking there were lots of own goals.
  • Options
    Olly Groome.
  • Options
    Ahh, perhaps he could use one of these as an avatar then ;-)

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47641/the-olly-thread/p1
  • Options

Maybe he could do without Piggott getting injured as well before the season starts leaving us with one less Striker

by that reckoning Kermy shouldn't played either then. But oh, he needed match fitness. much like Piggott I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Ahh, perhaps he could use one of these as an avatar then ;-)

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47641/the-olly-thread/p1

The glory days! (OG)

• Options
    really troubling to see the back 4 that would probably have played against oxford in the league cup next week were so comprehensively outplayed by a side 4 divisions lower worse still if the so called 1st XI get any injuries those 4 will be next in line
    bad weekend all round - my hopes for last and this season have only ever been to finish 21st or above but with no prospect of goals from anywhere my confidence is fading fast
  • Options
    http://thefleetadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ebbsfleet-united-2-1-charlton-athletic.html

Here's my report of yesterday's game.

Was good to see a few first-team players yesterday, as it gave us a good test. I can't imagine that being our starting line up come the start of the season. I'd expect 2 or 3 changes to that team.

McGurk was poor I thought. Wasted a couple of opportunities. Church looked a little livelier, but there's more to come from him. Would have had a goal but for an excellent reaction save from Preston Edwards. That was the game changer for me. A goal there, and you'd have gone on and got a couple more, but we went up and scored two decent goals before HT.

I'm confident you'll avoid relegation with ease.

Good luck for the season. Hopefully I can make it to a couple of CAFC games.
  • Options

http://thefleetadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ebbsfleet-united-2-1-charlton-athletic.html

Here's my report of yesterday's game.

Was good to see a few first-team players yesterday, as it gave us a good test. I can't imagine that being our starting line up come the start of the season. I'd expect 2 or 3 changes to that team.

McGurk was poor I thought. Wasted a couple of opportunities. Church looked a little livelier, but there's more to come from him. Would have had a goal but for an excellent reaction save from Preston Edwards. That was the game changer for me. A goal there, and you'd have gone on and got a couple more, but we went up and scored two decent goals before HT.

I'm confident you'll avoid relegation with ease.

Good luck for the season. Hopefully I can make it to a couple of CAFC games.

Nice blog.
  • Options
    Who was Peter Varney cheering on :-)
  • Options
    In the Charlton directors section was Chris Parkes with his wife and Jim Davidson behind em.

No Club reps other than Chris.

Jon Fortune was there, is he with a club?

• Options
    Fortune was also at the Daggers game
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    madadd said:

no offence CS -this is not aimed directly at you- but Im getting quite weary of reading comments similar to yours like this every time the U 21's squad get a bit of time on the pitch and again deliver better quality football than the current supposed balance of the 1st team.

For the record -and again this isn't aimed at Clem- today's game against Ebbsfleet was always scheduled as a CAFC X1 game, then midweek it was re-assigned for the 1st team squad to ensure any players in the 1st team, who didn't get a full run out in yesterday's unfortunate lost game were able to get more pre-season minutes under their belt before the start of the season. To say the 1st half was underwhelming is an understatement and Ebbsfleet thoroughly deserved to be 2-0 up at half time, and the start of the 2nd half was not much better, it was only when the mass substitutions were made did the game change pace, gear and quality of football in Charlton's favour and within minutes we were putting Ebbslfeet under pressure with at least 2 or 3 well worked attacks resulting in an early shot just off target, a goal forma well worked corner taken by Muldoon nad finished well by Woods and at least 2 or 3 further chances - more than we saw in the entire preceding 65 minutes plus we then pretty well managed Ebbsfleet for the rest of the game....

At some stage we have to accept the quality of players in our U21's squad is possibly better than what we currently have in our 1st team and give them a chance...other players in bigger clubs than Charlton have started their 1st team careers at much younger ages than 18/19/20 and they weren't patronisingly called 'The Kids, youngster etc"

I didn't see the game but your general remarks are right on the spot .. Play (it's too late now) less trialists and 'looking for a club any club ists' and more of the youngsters.
    Powell generally is a risk averse and conservative manager. In most cases that is a great strength and served us well last season in results if not in watching fluid and attractive, attacking football. This season I think Powell has to be a little bit more of a gambler and take a chance on some youngsters early on. Having said that, it seems that soon he will have few other options.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Fortune was a daggers player last season
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mike said:

Redhenry said:

Fortune was a daggers player last season
    From the 'Played For Both' section in the Daggers programme, "... He is currently without a club"