Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can you help - I am about to lose my job

I have been a Facilities Supervisor for the past 5 years at a school in Brockley and for a Law Firm in the City for 5 years previously. I am more interested in getting a job than what the salary is so if anyone can help I would be most grateful. I will be soon be 50.
I have already renewed my season ticket for next season so I don't have to worry about that.

Comments

• Options
    Feel for you... Been working in Recruitment for the past 5 years and at the beginning on the year they thought it would be a great idea to move my dept. to Stoke - My last day is tomorrow

Hope you find something soon
  • Options

Feel for you... Been working in Recruitment for the past 5 years and at the beginning on the year they thought it would be a great idea to move my dept. to Stoke - My last day is tomorrow
    Hope you find something soon

Sorry to hear that, good luck to you to
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Check out the Council websites. There may be some jobs going in schools. Can I suggest, Bromley, Bexley, Greenwich, Lewisham and Kent Councils or there's a website called 'Jobs go Public'
  • Options

Check out the Council websites. There may be some jobs going in schools. Can I suggest, Bromley, Bexley, Greenwich, Lewisham and Kent Councils or there's a website called 'Jobs go Public'

Thank you will do

• Options
    I cannot offer you immediate help, but perhaps some advice. Obviously you need to do all the basic things like preparing a good CV, register with an Agency, look at advertisements. For me the important thing is not to just wait for responses, but to identify local companies, councils, and anywhere where your experience would be valuable, and contact them personally. Good employers will always be impressed by people who take matters into their own hands, and will admire your initiative. Before you make the contact, find out as much as you can about the organisation which you can use in conversation to show your positive qualities. You can do it Vincent, go get em, and the very best of luck.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I cannot offer you immediate help, but perhaps some advice. Obviously you need to do all the basic things like preparing a good CV, register with an Agency, look at advertisements. For me the important thing is not to just wait for responses, but to identify local companies, councils, and anywhere where your experience would be valuable, and contact them personally. Good employers will always be impressed by people who take matters into their own hands, and will admire your initiative. Before you make the contact, find out as much as you can about the organisation which you can use in conversation to show your positive qualities. You can do it Vincent, go get em, and the very best of luck.

Thanks for the advice Granpa and for the words of encouragement.

• Options
    Mr F retired last Nov from a similar role with Skanska ie mobile facilities manager/operative.

Worth getting in touch with their HQ in the UK ?
  • Options

Mr F retired last Nov from a similar role with Skanska ie mobile facilities manager/operative.

Worth getting in touch with their HQ in the UK ?

Thank you I have registered on their website and will keep an eye open

• Options
    Vincent, give Village Staff a call on 020 8318 7327. They may not have the most glamorous jobs available, but I am sure they'll fit you up with something. They are based in Blackheath.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Granpa said:

In addition to Granpa's great advice, network. Employers would rather employ people who are recommended to them than somebody that is good at interviews. So talk to people - don't ask them for jobs or look out for jobs for you - just let them know you are available. Ask people to look at your CV and feedback on how they think it could be improved, get them to introduce you to people in the industry you are interested in so that you can have a chat with them about the industry. 9 out of my last 11 positions have come through contacts and not necessarily direct contacts. Don't feel afraid to call people from the past and have a chat. Flatter people about their experience e.g. because you are an expert in your field I thought it would be interesting to get your view on the opportunities around these days" etc,

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Vincent, give Village Staff a call on 020 8318 7327. They may not have the most glamorous jobs available, but I am sure they'll fit you up with something. They are based in Blackheath.

Brendan will call them tomorrow thank you

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Vincent said:

Granpa said:

In addition to Granpa's great advice, network. Employers would rather employ people who are recommended to them than somebody that is good at interviews. So talk to people - don't ask them for jobs or look out for jobs for you - just let them know you are available. Ask people to look at your CV and feedback on how they think it could be improved, get them to introduce you to people in the industry you are interested in so that you can have a chat with them about the industry. 9 out of my last 11 positions have come through contacts and not necessarily direct contacts. Don't feel afraid to call people from the past and have a chat. Flatter people about their experience e.g. because you are an expert in your field I thought it would be interesting to get your view on the opportunities around these days" etc,

Kap thank you also, I will take on board what you have said and will contact some of my old managers