Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oliver Rawlings...

...so what do we think then Lifers?

Vile, abusive, scumbag, bully deserving of serious slap or mentally ill attention seeker, more deserving of our sympathy and some serious therapy?

Comments

• Forgive my ignorance but who is he?
  • Soon changed his tune, when his mum was going to be told.
  • Oliver Rawlings, 20, used his Twitter account to call the Cambridge University professor of classics a “filthy old slut” and make a highly offensive sexual comment about her.

However, he then found himself on the receiving end of vitriol from scores of appalled supporters of Prof Beard after she retweeted the remark to all her followers, saying she would not be “terrorised” by online abuse.

One Twitter user wrote to the academic: “Mary, if you would like to send a copy [of] @Rawlings153's tweet to his mother, Joanne, I'd be happy to give you the postal address.”

Within minutes Mr Rawlings had said sorry to the academic and deleted his original comment, saying: “I sincerely apologise for my trolling. I was wrong and very rude. Hope this can be forgotten and forgiven.”

He added: "I feel this had been a good lesson for me. Thanks 4 showing me the error of my ways."
  • LenGlover said:

Forgive my ignorance but who is he?

twitter troll who threatened to rape either a writer or a MP, can't remember which

• Another abuser on Twitter says sorry when caught...............yawn!

• ...so what do we think then Lifers?

Vile, abusive, scumbag, bully deserving of serious slap or mentally ill attention seeker, more deserving of our sympathy and some serious therapy?

Vile, abusive scumbag no mark fits the bill I think.

• edited July 2013
    So, a university student eh? Just how stupid can you be and still get a place at Uni these days?
    BTW, watched Prof Beard's programme last night on the Emperor Caligula. She's an interesting and informative presenter.
  • Prof Beard got a load of abuse after appearing on Question Time and daring to have an opinion. Who'd be a woman eh? I hope all twitter abusers get found out. People aren't quite so hard when they have to face up to their actions
  • LenGlover said:

twitter troll who threatened to rape either a writer or a MP, can't remember which

No Large that was another sad waste of oxygen who did that but it led to the radio debate that Mary Beard was taking part in that young Olly thought he'd join in with by sending her abusive tweets.

There's a lot of sad, lonely, social misfits out there getting their kicks from trolling...and a few on here tbf!
  • if my child turned out like that I would be appalled
  • Sponsored links:

• That's why I go on about the would ya and whose rack threads. They're little different to the comments this little scrote made.

• LenGlover said:

No Large that was another sad waste of oxygen who did that but it led to the radio debate that Mary Beard was taking part in that young Olly thought he'd join in with by sending her abusive tweets.

There's a lot of sad, lonely, social misfits out there getting their kicks from trolling...and a few on here tbf!
    I'm not lonely !

• LenGlover said:

Is that why you spend so much time on here then? :-)
  • Oliver Rawlings is just another Internet idiot
  • Never really understood why people would use the internet to abuse others with their own name attached to it. Just reeks of stupidity, especially when you can set up a twitter account with a fake name in about 5 seconds.

But yeah, anyone that sends abuse over twitter is in need of a good slap. But also think that the block button should be used more.
  • Juvenile dickhead who has hopefully learned his lesson