Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford v CAFC XI at Princes Park tonight

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Pleased for for those two scorers who are looking to stake a claim up front especially Pigott after the penalty miss, which shows strong character.
  • Options
    Yeah, gotta hand it to him, to come back from a penalty miss shows real carácter.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Interestingly, it looked like Jon Fortune was coaching the back four during the warm up.

On Twitter a bloke on the pitch spoke to him and Jon said he had retired and started coaching at Charlton.

I'm surprised the OS hasn't said anything. Actually, scrub that, I'm not surprised the OS hasn't said anything, sadly!
  • Options

mart77 said:

Interestingly, it looked like Jon Fortune was coaching the back four during the warm up.

On Twitter a bloke on the pitch spoke to him and Jon said he had retired and started coaching at Charlton.

I'm surprised the OS hasn't said anything. Actually, scrub that, I'm not surprised the OS hasn't said anything, sadly!
    Would be glad if that was the case. Another old boy on the coaching team , nice.
  • Options
    Good result, sounds like Poyet did really well once he came on and definitely a good thing for the two goalscorers to both be strikers.
  • Options
    Poyet and muldoon did very well injected some slick passing in the side, seemed too reliant on Hughes first half. much better 2nd half when our strikers got into the game more.
  • Options
    Smash and grab. If Dartford could shoot or head when inside the penalty area it would have 5-6. Only picked up when they went 4-3-3 and to be honest they were still leaking chances at the back. Both goals came as a result of Dartford CBs tiring.

I'll get shot down for saying it but Pigott is notready for the Championship. He was shackled tonight and will really struggle against better players. There might be a player in there but he needs to go out on loan. Azeez hasn't developed as you would have hoped and I doubt he'll be anywhwere near the first team.

Munns is a great player but no way that he'll make it as a pro he is tiny.

As for the triallists, what is the point of having them if they aren't worthy of 30 mind in a friendly.
  • Options
    The trouble is, it's difficult to jude a young player when the team is full of them and they're not surrounded by experienced pros. I hope Poyet steps up this season.
  • Options
    All changed when Sho-Silva and Poyet came on. 3 up top for us and Max Branning and his mates at the back for the Darts lost the plot for fifteen minutes whilst adjusting to the pace and power. How they never scored is beyond me. Never a penalty for us, Max took the ball cleanly IMO. Nice to see Jon Fortune doing his bit in the warm up.
  • Options
    Poyet and Muldoon excellent, Pigott very good with the link-play. Azeez was very persistent and showed some pace. Munns is my new favourite player. PLEASE give him a contract! He'd make a really useful substitute I think - gives something unusual, hard to pick up, pops up all over the pitch, has a trick and a pass (and was very unlucky not to score 2 or 3 times)

Of course, as he's *actually* 5'3" people will write him off. Fools!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The keeper kept us in it in the first half. Dartford can think themselves unlucky not to have been one or two up.
    We played quite well from kick off in the second half and a lot better all round from the point where Poyet and and Muldoon came one.
    It was interesting listening to Piggot in the first half - moan, moan, moan. Nothing was going right for him and boy was it showing. Then he got the goal and calm descended.
    Apparently Rayman Yeboah is Tony's son. Munns (I was told he's on trial from Spurs) looked very lively, but a smaller player I can't remember seeing.
  • Options
    Nice to have some positive news for once. Now just waiting for Munns to end up at Millwall...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Agree. If I'm not mistaken, Dean Cox formerly of Brighton and now Orient is only 5'4" and has carved out a decent career.
  • Options
    Oi you Balde over there
    What's it like to have no hair?
    Two black eyes and a broken nose
    We are the Charlton, desperate
  • Options

Leuth said:

Agree. If I'm not mistaken, Dean Cox formerly of Brighton and now Orient is only 5'4" and has carved out a decent career.
    And the song "we've got tiny Cox..."
  • Options
    Munns released by Spurs, spent some time on loan at Aldershot. Birmingham were looking at him last season.
  • Options
    Keeper was mustard all game. Seriously impressed by him. Was also impressed by Centre half feeley (sp.). Very assured, confident and loud. Poyet involved in both goals - changed the game
  • Options

Keeper was mustard all game. Seriously impressed by him. Was also impressed by Centre half feeley (sp.). Very assured, confident and loud. Poyet involved in both goals - changed the game

Thanks for the info , what did you make of Piggotts performance (pen miss aside) oh and whats your team for Saturday going to be Chris? :-0

• Options

Thanks for the info , what did you make of Piggotts performance (pen miss aside) oh and whats your team for Saturday going to be Chris? :-0

As Clem said earlier, Pigott did not impress, though hardly his fault in the first half when we were defending for long periods. We were vulnerable at corners and on crosses, and but for some fine saves from Phillips and very close shaves, we could easily have been 3-0 down at half time. The introduction of Poyet and Muldoon half-way through the second half changed the game, with the former in particular making incisive passes and stretching the Dartford defence. Bad penalty miss by Pigott. On the balance of play, a draw may even have flattered us.

• Options
    Poyet could be pushing for first team soon, has been impressive in preseason
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Which is great but also annoying in that we have midfield well covered already!
  • Options

Felt for Piggott and Azeez in the first half as they had no service whatsoever. Took their goals very well however.

Haha my team ! It's a secret ;)
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Which is great but also annoying in that we have midfield well covered already!
    In numbers we are but Stephens and Hollands aren't convincing at this level. Hughes and Gower are coming towards the end of their careers.

At the moment it looks like Cousins is next in line.
  • Options
    I'll keep this simple, they won 2-0 !!

I always try to be a 'glass half full man'

Dartford's many attacks and shots on goal came to nothing because they were blocked, saved or just went wide of the target, so effectively the defence did what they were supposed to do - defend.

The less numbered Charlton attacks against Dartford resulted in 2 goals, better build up equals better results and as for Piggott being shackled by the CB's, eventually he beat them and scored, hmmm isn't this what a good striker does??? Azeez, still running offside a bit too much but his pace never falters and eventually the backs tire and when Sho Silva came on the and you had both of them running down the line the pace soon started to tell on the Dartford defence and then Azeez met a sweet delivery from Fox and scored, the build up to this through midfield with Muldoon was excellent.

Triallists, Munn's I like him, terrific engine works tirelessly in midfield good with his feet and belies his size in a challenge, I know this is a big ask but think Messi and he is only a little fella, last night as in previous games, he was a bit over enthusiastic wanting everything, but he is on trial and trying to impress and I would guess last night's game was his last chance to do so, I think, if he was in the squad and playing to his strength I think he would make a good acquisition alongside the likes of Muldoon and Poyet, he will always be challenged for a high ball but this might encourage less of the current 'hoof it up' and more old school Charlton 'ball along the floor' triangular movement all over the pitch.

if you want to procrastinate, you could argue should've been 3, but I never thought it was a pen anyway as initially first contact was outside the box so free kick at best.

Youth against men and a positive result...live with it, be pleased, have a great day :)
  • Options
    The biggest compliment for Munns was when I saw him at Ebbsfleet I didn't realise he was on trial, just assumed he came through our academy.

Good to see a player wanting the ball and able to actually 'pass it'. Imagine!
  • Options
    The problem is that we have good young midfielders (Poyet, Cousins) a talented guy on trial (Munns) but unless we play 3-7-0 they will never get a game!
  • Options
    i went to the game and pigott was terrible and with a mouth on him, what showed was our incredible fitness, when dartford were fatigued we almost seemed to have more energy, and diego poyet was a class above the rest, he could pass, move have vision, position himself well, and his link up play was great, i think poyet is better than shelvey, sell stephens take the money and buy a good striker, cousins and poyet will replace him
  • Options

The problem is that we have good young midfielders (Poyet, Cousins) a talented guy on trial (Munns) but unless we play 3-7-0 they will never get a game!

Like Barcelona we could develop the Charlton way where we don't bother having any strikers and base our team solely around teenage central midfielders !
  • Options
    I very much enjoyed the craic from that 14 year-old standing behind the goal in the second half. I doubt the Dartford goalie's gotten that much stick in a while. (I was standing next to him and couldn't help joining in on occasion)

Pigott wasn't terrible - his passing and link-play was good, and he won the ball in the air a few times. His composure let him down at times, but the finish was top class.