Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Button sold to Brentford***

Comments

• Options

Never really seen enough of Button to be convinced either way, will be worried if Hamer follows suit.

What are you like between the sticks, MIA ?

And are you free on Saturday ?
  • Options
    agree with those who are of the opinion that Button's gone to save a few quid or to allow release of funds to buy a striker(s) ... Pope can do the reserve job and will only get better as the season progresses
  • Options

Good news as far as I'm concerned, Pope goes on the bench and if Hamer does get injured we loan in a goalkeeper until he's fit.

Putting Pope on the bench for Saturday can only be good experience for him.
    Gets him used to being involved in the match preparations and warm up.

No way would CP even include him if he thought Pope couldn't do a job if needed.

We just have to keep our fingers crossed that Hamer keeps fit or doesn't have a rush of blood.
  • Options
    So, who plays in goal against Dartford tonight - surely not Pope now?
  • Options
    Never rated what i saw. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Smells of a loss altho I doubt we paid up front?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Are you free tonight, MIA ?

( Think I'm delirious !)

• Options
    Maybe Button wanted 1st team football.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Simon Church .. his versatility is being tested to the full .. If Powell signs him, he wants a good all rounder
  • Options
    razil said:

Smells of a loss altho I doubt we paid up front?

Agree. If the reported 400k was correct then it was awful business because I doubt we got a third of that in return.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Think this is a smart move, not ideal, but smart in the sense it's probably best to move the allocated wages into another area of the squad. Wish all the best to Button & can understand his desire for first team football, definitely the best move for all parties.

I would guess Button was on 3-4k a week, which could pay for a striker and still have a bit to contribute to a more experienced goalkeeper who is happy rotating and providing backup. Getting a fee is a bonus too considering Button only had 12 more months to run on his contract.
  • Options
    The fee to Spurs for Button was £200k but deferred until June 2013. Whether it had been paid, I rather doubt, so maybe this is to resolve that situation. But hopefully it is to free up money for a striker. After all, you can only play one goalkeeper at once.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Did Button himself want more regular first team football? Probably!

Have we got another keeper lined up like a vetran keeper to keep Hamer on his toes? Maybe!

Could it be to raise funds for Jon Obika? I suppose we will find out by the end of August!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

The fee to Spurs for Button was £200k but deferred until June 2013. Whether it had been paid, I rather doubt, so maybe this is to resolve that situation. But hopefully it is to free up money for a striker. After all, you can only play one goalkeeper at once.

Perhaps on that basis we got close to the 200k from Brentford and just passed the cash on to Spurs.

Maybe until we paid the Button fee to Tottenham they were reluctant to do business for Obika ? Just a thought.

• Options
    Thought Pope looked more solid when replacing Button.
  • Options
    Brentford just sold their first choice keeper to Cardiff so maybe some of that transfer fee has been forwarded on to us to sign Button? (straws. clutching. etc)
  • Options

Yep, priorities.

Right now we absolutely need another striker but we don't desperately need another goalkeeper. I guess the feeling is we'll make do with just Hamer and if anything happens to him then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
  • Options
    Bob Bolders stilled involved at Charlton.
  • Options
    If this deal allows us to bring in a couple of strikers it is great business

Button didn't have enough chance to really show his ability but I wish him well
  • Options
    dabos said:

Brentford just sold their first choice keeper to Cardiff so maybe some of that transfer fee has been forwarded on to us to sign Button? (straws. clutching. etc)

Moore went for £150k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was surprised when we bought Button, as with our finances last summer, spending money on a back up keeper seemed like a luxury.

I wasn't impressed when Button appeared for us, but that might be unfair. Good luck to him, but Pope clearly is highly rated at the club
  • Options
    What we need is another Steve Brown.
  • Options
    Just wonder if some of the general lack of movement in the Championship is being affected by ffp driving long term wage offers down? (Not wishing to contradict Prague here)
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

What we need is another Steve Brown.

We have - Matt Taylor.

Oh shit.
  • Options
    Powell's comment about Button, 'One we had high hopes for.' Maybe, it's me but I read that as, 'One we had high hopes for, but sadly it never quite worked out.'
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think this move is logical for all concerned, last year we paid a fee for a promising young goalie who wanted to put down roots at a club after playing over 100 first team games in the lower divisions on loan . It was clear to Button that after Spurs signed Lloris that he had no future there as the French number one is only two years older than him whereas the likes of Cudicini,Friedal and Gomes are all approaching the veteran stage of their careers.I suspect he has made a similar conclusion about Ben Hamer.

SCP is very fair to his players and allowing Button to establish himself as a number one albeit in a lower division was important for his development.

I would hope we recouped our outlay or maybe Spurs have retained their sell on clause in a similar way to how we did when Michael Turner left Brentford,I suspect one day he will be worth a decent fee.

Let's now get our strikers in for Saturday and I am happy for Nick Pope to be on the bench for our early games and play in the Carling Cup but would like to see an experienced keeper brought in before the window closes.
  • Options
    razil said:

Just wonder if some of the general lack of movement in the Championship is being affected by ffp driving long term wage offers down? (Not wishing to contradict Prague here)

I'm sure that FFP has put a chill on the market, Raz. I just don't think it explains our desperate striker situation.

• Options

Never rated what i saw. Good luck to him.

Yep agree , seemed a bit flappy and didn't cover himself in glory against the scum

• Options
    edited July 2013

Never really seen enough of Button to be convinced either way, will be worried if Hamer follows suit.

What are you like between the sticks, MIA ?

And are you free on Saturday ?
    Hi Fan , yes I used to be a dab hand between the sticks, unfortunately I'd fail the Charlton Life height test, and yes I am free on Saturday if Chris Powell's interested, I am prepared to sit on the bench for the princely sum of a packet of Hob Nob biscuits(must be chocolate).

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Powell's comment about Button, 'One we had high hopes for.' Maybe, it's me but I read that as, 'One we had high hopes for, but sadly it never quite worked out.'

Or possibly, "one we had high hopes for" but were forced to sell when an offer came in.