Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Following on from the Nice places to live thread - Kent

I suppose this is a little more specific. At some point in future I'm going to be looking to move away from Strood. So for the last few weeks we've started looking at different areas that we could move to. Ideally we'd like to get a 4+ bedroom detached house. But most areas are so expensive for this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent areas where you can get detached houses without spending a fortune? Let's say a ballpark figure of max 350k. I looked at Eynsford but it's too expensive.

The best bet we've found so far is High Halstow which is about 12 minutes drive to Strood,but we dont know much about the place. Plus it's up on the isle of grain and there is the issue of Boris potentially making a home there a flight path.

Only requirement really is within 10/15 drive of a station on the high speed links into Kings X St Pancras.

Comments

• Looked at Staplehurst?
  • I live in Lydd, the prices are pretty low down on the Marsh, we are 20 mins away from Ashford International which is 37 mins into St Pancras on HS1
  • Great. That's 2 I'd never looked at. We've only really looked M25 end. So around Strood (Hoo, High Halstow) , Gravesend (so Meopham/Vigo) and Ebbsfleet (Bean - not a lot affordable) Beyond that I dont really know any smaller towns, villages in Kent, especially further out.

It's a family home, so obviously decent schools nearby is a bonus, but really main aim is a nice place to live, ideally with countryside, and woodland nearby.
  • Middle of nowhere, but Marden is lovely.
  • Have you tried Phil and Kirsty?
  • Funnily enough a couple of years ago I did! But we're not looking to buy tomorrow. We're looking to find the area we want, then work out how much we need to save to be able to afford it, so we can set outselves a target to work towards!
  • Great. That's 2 I'd never looked at. We've only really looked M25 end. So around Strood (Hoo, High Halstow) , Gravesend (so Meopham/Vigo) and Ebbsfleet (Bean - not a lot affordable) Beyond that I dont really know any smaller towns, villages in Kent, especially further out.

It's a family home, so obviously decent schools nearby is a bonus, but really main aim is a nice place to live, ideally with countryside, and woodland nearby.

decent primary and an academy within 5 minutes, 4 beaches sand and shingle within 10 minutes drive, plenty of open flat coutnryside, 5 pubs within 3 minute walk, plus a curry and a kebab same distance.

Apart from that its rubbish......

Flask express to the valley picks up in Rye.
  • Bishops avenue north London aint to shabby
  • Bromley?
  • We looked at Hayes, west wickham. That's where I'm from originally. For a 4 bedroom detached in Bromley area (no way affordable ww or hayes) you're only going to end up in the ropiest parts.

Looked at Lydd. Might be a long way out but you get a lot for your money there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bromley?

That's London :-)
  • Bishops avenue north London aint to shabby

We did some work up there - it's absolutely mental. Simply ridiculous places

• berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/berkeley/developments/holborough-lakes

This is where I live - next to Snodland. Lovely quiet estate - nice scenery and you can pick up a 4 bed for £300 - £350k though not sure if detached or semi.

There are some detached on the new phases but think they might be a bit steeper into the early £400's
  • Brenchley, Matfield area is lovely. 5 minutes to Paddock Wood (which is then 40 minutes into charing cross).