Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This will be a long season!!

I have just watched the Football League Show and was mightily impressed by most of what I saw.

I know it is very early days and we had a disappointing result yesterday, but this is a good league. There is an awful lot of quality out there and it is unusual to have a Championship with such a large number of former Premiership players in it.

This season will be even tighter than last and we are really going to have to fight for every point. 9th place was a great achievement last year. Is Chris Powell right, did we over achieve?

Comments

• Options
    I still feel there are three teams worse than us in this league, doncaster, huddersfield and barnsley. So for that reason I am confident we will be fine.
  • Options
    I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I have been thinking. Who will we definitely finish above?
  • Options
    I'm sure we will be more than fine but a tilt at the play offs might be just beyond us.
  • Options

I'm sure we will be more than fine but a tilt at the play offs might be just beyond us.

not sure if you have your tongue firmly in your check bro, but I would say we are miles off a play-off place & I would be happy with anything above 20th place come May.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    DOC64 said:

I have just watched the Football League Show and was mightily impressed by most of what I saw.

I know it is very early days and we had a disappointing result yesterday, but this is a good league. There is an awful lot of quality out there and it is unusual to have a Championship with such a large number of former Premiership players in it.

This season will be even tighter than last and we are really going to have to fight for every point. 9th place was a great achievement last year. Is Chris Powell right, did we over achieve?

I do hope your joking or maybe your just looking for a reaction ?

• Options
    NO!! Just being honest.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

NO!! Just being honest.

Its the first day of the season my friend . This league will not start to take shape until the end if September . At least give us 9 or or 10 games before you right us off .
  • Options
    I always think back to the 03/04 season where we lost 3-0 at home to Man city on the opening day. We then went and spanked Wolves 4-0 and had our best season in the PL.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

DOC64 said:

NO!! Just being honest.

Its the first day of the season my friend . This league will not start to take shape until the end if September . At least give us 9 or or 10 games before you right us off .
    Mate, I'm not writing anybody off. I want nothing more than for us to do well. To lose to Bournemouth is acceptable if we can come out from it with a number of positives. Alas, I was not there today, but from everything I have read we were beaten by the better team. I then looked at the FL Show and saw an awful lot of good football from a number of strong teams. This will be a long season but, as long as we survive, that will not be a bad thing.......

• Options
    I think you'll find the season is exactly the same length as last year ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way will the league be as tight as last season
  • Options
    Think there will be a huge divide based on financial strength. This seasons 3 new arrivals from the prem with their parachutes plus more parachute money at Bolton and Blackburn will make them very hard to beat plus the likes of Watford Seagulls Forest and LUFC all of whom have far larger budgets.

We will be in our own mini league with the 'have nots' where good managerial qualities will have to make up for the lack of budget.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I have been thinking. Who will we definitely finish above?

Its definitely easier to name teams that will finish above us

This division will be tougher than last year the 3 that came down will finish above us if playing squads don't change too dramatically over the next few weeks

21st and above I'll be more than happy with
  • Options
    I am with Doc and oohaah, and that is what I would have said BEFORE yesterday. A tough but hopefully.enjoyable season, but we will definitely lose more than last season imo
  • Options
    How can anyone judge anything on 1 game
  • Options

Crystal balls?
  • Options

Exactly. Plus how many times have we assumed the worst with this team and they've pleasantly suprised us time and time again.
  • Options
    So how does it work.
    You lose the first game of the season and we are going to have problems, or if we had won we would be top six material.
    People should not look at a league table until 15 games in to get an idea how a season is going to pan out.
    Yesterday's game was always going to be hard, opening day fixtures against newly promoted sides who are on a roll from the previous season tend to up their game.
    I think Bournemouth will be okay this season, Howe is a very good manager.
  • Options
    Let's see whether or not Father Time is catching up with our midfield.
  • Options
    by end of October beginning of November you get a feel for the league, yes if you are putting in woeful performances for a half dozen games or so you get a feeling its going to be tough,

However its not just us I am on about its every team no one knows where anyone will finished based on 1 game, The bookies give shiter odds on this day than any other as you get some strange results

I think Bournemouth will be more than ok and I have backed them for a play off spot before yesterday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You can't. But you can have an educated personal judgement when weighing up factors such as opposing squads, club direction etc on who is going to have a good season or not. If that is not the case, why did so many if us win money backing us to win League One ? You weighed everything up and thought we had a very good chance.

As things stand (still a few weeks of transfer activity left) I think we are in for a difficult season, and will be more than happy in 9 months time for others to dig this up and say how stupid.I look.
  • Options
    but you based your winning the league in lge 1 like I did and many others surely before we even started the league its called blind hope and optimism, its the hope that kills you

what you cant do after 1 game is think its going to be a long season, if you had said that based on the pre season and lack of transfer activity then I could sort of agree with it, but all you have seen is cafc and Bournemouth, Now if every team that lost on the first day believes they are in for a long season, then 10 other teams are in the same boat

I can understand people feeling apprehensive due to the total lack of regard for transfers and movement in until so late in the pre season (but we don't know why that was)

2 days ago the blind hope and optimism was back because or sordell and church, we will still get 2 more players in imo minimum 1 in midfield and a goalie,

we will play a lot worse teams than Bournemouth at home who will have one of the best home forms in the league I reckon

and we lost by 1 goal after not turning up in the first half and having a player sent off

i think sometimes the wave of fear washes over people far to easy if we are winless after 6 games then yes there is a basis for the fear

but not yet surely

• Options
    I don't think we played that bad yesterday.

Some good approach play with just the final ball lacking.

We will get better once Sordell has got to know his team mates better.

When Jackson returns our midfield will look a lot more creative.

Just my opinion and I'm sure the wrist slitters will pick holes in it but that's what opinions are all about.
  • Options
    Only saw what was on FL Show, from the limited highlights I'm guessing if our defence had been more awake we might have had a draw. It is early days yet, though some of the play on show from Reading, Wigan, QPR, Leeds etc show that this season may not be as tight as last season. Good result for Yeovil, it was interesting to hear their manager saying they'd define success by how it looked at the end of the season - mentioning mid table and playoffs. Good attitude, expect to see them do better than predicted. I was disappointed with the result, but things will get better. If we don't roll over against Boro next week like we did last season I'll be happy.
  • Options

not sure if you have your tongue firmly in your check bro, but I would say we are miles off a play-off place & I would be happy with anything above 20th place come May.

You thought the same last year and we finished 3 points away from the playoffs. Lets see how the table looks after 10 games
  • Options
    Sloppy goals that can be rectified. They will watch the video and learn from it.

The thing that worried me was the heated arguments after the goals. Dervite and morrison seemed to be blaming each other. I know this is not uncommon but communication is vital, i hope they sort it.
  • Options
    i think we will finish 6th maybe 5th, i dont give a shit if you guys think im wrong, i think sordell, kermorgant and church will get 30 goals between them, and stephens will refind his top form and cause defences problems, harriot will continue to play well and use his pace. pritch will regain his top form, which he isnt far off of, lawrie wilson will provide battle for places. danny green aswell. danny hollands will be the battler we need in midfield. our defence will continue to be tight. i think this loss will make the players hungrier and bitter, then thhey will beat boro, barnsley and doncaster. we have top away form, improving home form and people outside of the club think of us as darkhorses, which puts fear in them, 6th for me guys