Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chelsea - War Cup Final

For those that are interested, Programme & Match Ticket are up on eBay for sale

Comments

• Options
    Keep an eye for the Charlton v Arsenal War Cup Final programme on the fundraiser for @cholland Greenwich and Bexley hospice over the next few months
  • Options
    I thought i would tell a little story about the war cup final against chelsea that maybe nobody has ever heard before.

About 15 years ago i used to work with a man called Gordon Bates. He was in the Royal air force during the second word war and as one of the few British soldiers that survived the drop on Arnhem in Holland.
    He told me of a story where his unit were given free tickets to the war cup final Charlton v Chelsea in 1944 .

During the game there was a lot of light hearted banter going around between the British and American military in the stands. That was until half time.

During the interval the British Army band were performing on the pitch when the trumpeter at the front tripped and fell over , followed by half a dozen others who fell over him.

At this point the Yanks laughed their heads of at what they had seen .

The royal Air force guys were having none of it. What happened next , according to Gordon , was a free for all between the British and Americans that involves at least 100 military scrapping with each other behind the goal !.

I can see his face now , chuckling , telling me how it kicked off at Wembley in 1944.

I lost contact with Gordon. I don't expect he is around any more as he would be in his 90's but i will never forget that story along with the horrific ones he told me about Arnhem.
  • Options
    How did smallwall infiltrate the RAF?
  • Options
    Proper RAF can handle their sniff.