Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The last time we lost on the opening day at this level...

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
Away from home, we lost by the same scoreline (2-1) at Middlesbrough in 97/98. Our next league game that season was at home to Oxford, our next league game this season is against Middlesbrough.

& we all know what happened in May of that season. :-)

Comments

• Options
    First away defeat since the one nil up at Hull on February 16. First away defeat in 8.
    Last defeat on an opening day of the season was at West Ham 19/8/2006 3-1.
    Last defeat on an opening day in the 2nd tier of English football was at Middlesboro 9/8/1997 2-1
    Last Charlton player to be sent off on the first game of the season was Jose Semedo against Bournemouth in a 1-0 win 7/8/2010
    Bradley Pritchard has become the 8th Charlton player to be sent off on the opening day of the season

• Options

Away from home, we lost by the same scoreline (2-1) at Middlesbrough in 97/98. Our next league game that season was at home to Oxford, our next league game this season is against Middlesbrough.

I was there @ the spanking new Riverside for that game .. the way we played against Juninho, Merson, Ravanelli (last minute winner) and the rest of Bryan Robson's 'superstars', I knew that we were going places that season.
    The thing is it's not IF you lose, it's HOW you lose. And this season ? .. it'll be about 46 league games long .. add a looooong cup run as well.
  • Options
    Should have won that afternoon. Mendonca missed 2 good chances, but performance wise you knew that we was going to have a good season with the possibility of getting into the play offs.
  • Options

I was there @ the spanking new Riverside for that game .. the way we played against Juninho, Merson, Ravanelli (last minute winner) and the rest of Bryan Robson's 'superstars', I knew that we were going places that season.
    The thing is it's not IF you lose, it's HOW you lose. And this season ? .. it'll be about 46 league games long .. add a looooong cup run as well.
    Will never forget the comfortable one carriage train from Darlington to Middlesborough.