Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A little bit of unknown Charlton history ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lainie said:

Philip Letchford is my dad, who is still alive. Therefore I feel need to clarify the facts. He is one of six children 4 boys, Arthur Letchford his twin, Dennis (known as Bill) and Robert who died over 25 years ago and 2 sisters. My dad Philip and his twin brother were at Arnhem, luckily they survived and are both still with us today and approaching their 90th Birthday. I am very interested in the post from Kerry, who believes she is related. There was definitely no other brothers, which has been confirmed not only by my dad but also from the family tree, or could it be by marriage?. There was more than one Letchford family in the area, but we have no evidence of being related. It would be helpful to know the name of the person who has passed on this story to see if there is a link somewhere along the line. It is really pleasing to read all of the recognition that has been generated from this post for my dad and Arthur who were very brave and has made us so proud.

Welcome to the forum lainie.

I believe Charlton Kerry is a "he" rather than a "she." Don't know whether or not that helps at all.
  • Options
    Oh ok, if so my apologies to him. Hopefully he will return with more information at some point. Thanks
  • Options
    Ianie, I can confirm I'm a he :-) my father name was Harry Arthur Letchford, he was born in east hill dartford. He fought in Burma for 31/2 years, I might be wrong about them being brothers but I was under the impression that they where. At moment am outside reading stadium so just purely going from my memory, and that ain't so good nowadays, just before my father died he did write a short history of his life and I will check it out to see if there's any clue in there. I got no family tree as such, unfortunately I am away for a little while so getting back to you might take some time. I would say that from what I know we are related in some way or other, if as I believe your father was born in dartford. Was one of your dad's sisters name Alice by any chance?
  • Options

Sensitive and heart-warming thread. Not only a unique Football Club but a special Charlton Family when it comes to the fans.

Totally agree. I'm so glad i shared the story about Gordon at the war Cup final and a big thank you must go to @SE7toSG3 for some great work.
  • Options
    Thanks, that cleared that up. It was obviously the age difference that confused me. Send everybody my regards, my father died about 15 years ago, and my mum Eileen passed away around 18 months ago. Small world ain't it.
  • Options
    Yeah it is a small world! and good to catch up with past family ties. All the best
  • Options
    Trying to work this out. Are you second cousins? If so, my closest relations are second cousins - surely you are going to meet up?
  • Options
    Great stories guys.
    The Arnhem Knights
    Never forget.
  • Options
    WSA said:

Trying to work this out. Are you second cousins? If so, my closest relations are second cousins - surely you are going to meet up?

If I followed that correctly, they are cousins once removed. If Charlton Kerry has any kids, they would be lainie's second cousins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I never have understood the family relationship and why our side appeared to have separated, but yes, I don't mind meeting up, if that's ok with iainie and Phillip. Iainie it might be better to inbox me re a meet up or not.

Its quiet funny I am always having letter and documents sent to me addressed to Mrs or Miss, how I got my christen name was because my mum always wanted a girl, she ended up with 3 boys, me being the youngest. When I popped into this world she refused to name me, so it was left to my dad, he had returned to the UK after 31/2 years in Burma some 6 years prior to my birth, and out there he had fought alongside a lot of Austrilians, some of whom where called Kerry, dad being dad, didn't realise that in the UK Kerry was a girls name!! Hence the concussion, however a bit like the song a girl called Sue, it never done me any harm, Infact if would say its actually helped, well apart from the ribbing I took at school.
  • Options
    Heartwarming stuff guys, goos to hear some of the old stories.
  • Options
    Stig said:

WSA said:

If I followed that correctly, they are cousins once removed. If Charlton Kerry has any kids, they would be lainie's second cousins.
    Agree

If Iainie has children they will be cousins with Kerry twice removed, and these children would be second cousins with any children Kerry may have once removed.

Yes c'mon chaps you have to meet up for a pint after being reunited through Charlton Life.
  • Options
    The continuing story. Don't know if Ianie still visit this site, but for her information I just found this out.

Arthur & Phil dad was also called Philip Letchford, this Phillip was one of my fathers older brothers (born 1900). Therefore I think I am much closer related than we expected.

Hopefully Ianie will read this.

Regards
    Kerry
  • Options

The continuing story. Don't know if Ianie still visit this site, but for her information I just found this out.

Arthur & Phil dad was also called Philip Letchford, this Phillip was one of my fathers older brothers (born 1900). Therefore I think I am much closer related than we expected.

Hopefully Ianie will read this.

Regards
    Kerry

Inbox her Kerry.

That way she'll get an email to whatever address she signed up with on here.
  • Options
    Ok thanks will do, bit of a Luddite, don't understand all this modern technology.
  • Options

Ok thanks will do, bit of a Luddite, don't understand all this modern technology.

That makes two of us!

I learnt that though from inboxes I've received.
  • Options
    Kerry,

Lanie hasn't been back since December. If you send them an inbox message, they should also receive it as an email (i've checked their preferences, and that is the setting they have).

However, if you want them to reply to you, state your email addy in it and say don't reply if replying by email. The email they receive is a system generated one from Cl, not from you.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Yes it does, thanks will resend my message with my email address on.