Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 4 (yes, FOUR) Oxford 0 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Don't know if it's been shown on sky sports yet, but I'm sure Green's goal took a deflection off of Church before going in. It looked liked Church was telling Greenie afterwards that he had touched it.
  • Options
    Was a very enjoyable game and so glad to be back at The Valley.

Delighted for Pigott to score and loved how he told two or three other senior players in the side that he was taking it in no uncertain terms. Greed is good!

Still not sure if he is quite ready for the Championship though. He did very little wrong yesterday but he doesn't strike me as the most mobile...maybe a little bit clumsy in the way he runs. I don't want to be harsh on him as it must have been like a dream debut, but for me he is suitable for cup games and the odd cameo only.
  • Options
    A good morale booster for the squad, combined with Boro's embarrassing defeat last night in a similar situation fills me with more confidence for Saturday. Slightly surprised that Pope didn't play, does that mean that Powell doesn't see him as the No2 keeper this season, and will bring someone else in?
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Don't know if it's been shown on sky sports yet, but I'm sure Green's goal took a deflection off of Church before going in. It looked liked Church was telling Greenie afterwards that he had touched it.

Yes, Greenie's free kick def got a deflection on the way in - we assumed it was off one of their players as no-one else claimed it.

Their no. 3 was giving the lino hell all way through the 2nd half & rightfully got booked towards the end - reminded me of a rottweiler......

• Options
    Thinking about it, maybe CP gives Green the freedom to go for goal from corners. Set piece routines are practiced heavily in training so I can't see him just coming out on game day and walloping a few surprises.

If he did that he'd be dropped, ah think I've worked it out.
  • Options
    A rare opportunity for me to see a game and I enjoyed it.

A good team effort. I was a little surprised at the regular tactic of Hamer giving the ball to Cort in the right back position and a slow passing game taking place around the area, but without Kermogant playing, I assume this is better than the keeper's hoof upfield.

I could not pick out a man of the match as I simply thought it was a good team perfomance. Just a shame Church missed that sitter.

Looking forward to Saturday now, then another very long wait until my next game.
  • Options
    As I said on the players marks, if CP didn't have the confidence to play Pope against Oxford last night, I'm sure we will see another keeper in before the close of the window.
  • Options
    We aren't the best team at holding onto the ball so seems a good tactic so the game would not turn into a hectic end to end cup tie.
  • Options

what was constable like for them

He was well policed by our centre halves.
  • Options
    Have to admit that this time it's my turn to be " O me of little faith "...

Good all round performance from the lads but for me, Jordan Cook and Joe Pigott were stand outs on the night. Both players totally took their chance to show just what they can do and playing like that would def not look out of place in the squad on Saturday. Really pleased for them both but esp for Jordan as I had been dismissive of him on here yesterday.

I know it was "only" Oxford, but think this game showed the depth of squad that we now have at our Club which is very encouraging. And full marks to the gaffer on the way he set up the team and used the opportunity to see what the fringe players on the whole can do in a competitive match.

Roll on Saturday !

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Ryan Williams, Oxford's no.15.

Aussie on loan from Fulham. I'd have him in the squad.

I'd have him in the team, wide right, better than anything we've got for that position. was very impressed.

I just emailed my Aussie mate who is involved in youth football over here at a national level about this kid (I had never heard of him!).

Quote: "He's got a lot of skill, enough to play at a pretty high level, his problem is that he has very fragile confidence and if it starts going wrong for him he finds it pretty hard to get back into the game."

That suggests that he has promise - or Fulham would not have bought him - but that he is still (only being 19) developing as a player in the pro game.
    He's a WestAussie, brother of Rhys Williams. Very, very good player. Have been 'scouting' him since his junior days. Comes from ECU Joondalup Club
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that game. I think everyone played well.
  • Options
    Was sitting right behind Green's free kick in the East and it would've gone wide without the deflection but no-one was claiming it so assume it hit an Oxford leg.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm pleased for those that went that we put in an enjoyable winning performance, my 2 lads went and thoroughly enjoyed it.

After going to ICT at home , and doing 8 hours of driving to Bournemouth , I thought I'd give this one a wide berth.

Danny Green still taking short corners is a concern, I thought he would have learnt by now, pleased to hear Joe Piggott and Simon Church played well.

Dare I turn up on Saturday, I don't want to put the moccas on Charlton?
  • Options
    Personal observations from last night...Without Yann as the main front target, we kept possession in a way that I hadn't seen before; thus Oxford hardly had a kick of the ball, particularly in the second half. It's good that we can vary our game to suit the starting IX.

My main focus was on the new boys:

Pigott work his socks off and was rightly rewarded with a late pen. Wasn't however a good pen, going under the keepers body. Nevertheless well done.

I was hugely impressed with Church. Took up some good positions in the box and took his two goals well. Looking forward to plenty of goals from him this season.

Wood was assured at the back. Always looking and available for the ball and never once just hoofed it up the field. Disappointed when he allowed an Oxford player to get inside him, who then nearly scored late on; not therefore sure about his pace. I need to see him a few more times to offer my personal judgement.

Sordell looked bright and quick with a late cameo. He looks a good prospect.

Overall, enjoyed the game and looking forward to seeing them against better opposition, but things look promising after last night's display.

ps Callum had but a few minutes, but he went on one run with a series of step-overs that made me dizzy and reminded me of a certain Real Madrid striker. Looking forward to see how he progresses this season.
  • Options

If we can keep the strength, accuracy and quickness of tonight's performance going, we will frighten the living daylights out of any team in the Championship.

You've obviously not seen the likes of watford and brighton. Don't get me wrong we played well today albeit against oxford but think the performance tonight has got to some people's head.

O Jay - I can assure you I have seen Watford and Brighton. I can also assure you that I saw our home defeats last season against Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Burnley, Palace, and Millwall - and Huddersfield in the Cup - and in all of those miserable defeats we barely had a shot at goal. For fifteen minutes in the second-half tonight we stamped our authority, used some intelligence, made it quick and instinctive, and peppered their keeper. Forget Pritchard! Let the good times roll.
    Hmm, well yes, but let's not forget it was Oxford we were playing.
    Hollands and Stephens gave us a reminder of what a good partnership they were during our League 1 promotion campaign.
    To date neither has stepped up to the plate in the Championship so I'd be wary of getting carried away with last nights showing.
    That said, the players did all that was asked of them - a thoroughly professional performance, lit up with plenty of good attacking football.
    The players all played like they had something to prove.
    Though Pigott had a shout as MOM - played with his head-up, confident and intelligent - created some good opportunities for others.
    Only gripe I had, like others, I'm sick of seeing Green trying to score direct from every corner on the left.
    Other than that, really enjoyed it.
    Love that song btw
  • Options
    A special mention for the manager and his coaching team who sent out a very motivated squad revealed by the way that players that we might have thought had lost a lot of their shine, were excellent.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to all those who attended and have provided some excellent post-match thoughts, really great to read and helpful to those of us not there.

Thanks guys and girls.
  • Options
    Enjoyed last night, didnt think i would after our history in these cup matches. Think we played good football and more importantly looked to retain possession a lot more and look for the simple pass.
    Think quite a few of the players will be knocking on Powells door asking about saturday now and dont think you can blame them.

Anyone know where you can find highlights? Want to have a look at the goals again.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

If we can keep the strength, accuracy and quickness of tonight's performance going, we will frighten the living daylights out of any team in the Championship.

You've obviously not seen the likes of watford and brighton. Don't get me wrong we played well today albeit against oxford but think the performance tonight has got to some people's head.

O Jay - I can assure you I have seen Watford and Brighton. I can also assure you that I saw our home defeats last season against Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Burnley, Palace, and Millwall - and Huddersfield in the Cup - and in all of those miserable defeats we barely had a shot at goal. For fifteen minutes in the second-half tonight we stamped our authority, used some intelligence, made it quick and instinctive, and peppered their keeper. Forget Pritchard! Let the good times roll.
    It was a very good win against lower division opposition. I'd certainly like to see us play like that in the Championship and I'm sure we'd frighten many in that division playing like that. To really guarantee success I think there are some things we'd need to tighten up on. Two in particular that I noticed last night:

1. Accuracy of passing: Whilst this was generally good, there were still times when we gave the ball away too easily. Interestingly these were often at times when the tempo was lower and there was less pressure on the man with the ball. I think sometimes there was a feeling that they had to pass even though the safer option might have been to hold it. I didn't notice this so much when we were running at them though - I was amazed at how accurate some of the passing at pace was.

2. Power/quality of tackles: There were several times last night when tackles were made that were good enough to take the ball from the opponent but neither powerful enough to get it right away nor precise enough to claim the ball (admittedly this was often when people were stretching into a tackle). It didn't matter last night because Oxford weren't quick enough to recover the ball. I think against better opposition though this might make a real difference to the amount of possession we'd have.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't there last night, my 1st game will be @ Barnsley .. does the performance from the revamped midfielders, especially Stephens and Holland, mean that Pritchard's place in the side is no longer a certainty? ... AND, I have a feeling that Joe Pigott has the skill, confidence and build to become in time a Denis Bergkamp (pray to the Lord he comes close to this standard) type of midfielder/striker, a powerhouse in central midfield .. am I right in having this 'vision' ?
  • Options
    Well, I didn't see anything in the midfield that would dislodge Hughes and Gower from a starting berth on Saturday, and I'd expect Wilson to get the nod ahead of Green for Pritchard's berth, Green putting in the sort of performance that switched between showing his talent and showing why Powell struggles to trust him.

The team did more than enough to win, but the central midfield didn't do enough to get hold of the game in the first hour. We didn't cope with their players running through our midfield in the first half and a better side might have taken one of the two or three decent chances they had.
  • Options
    Every player was good but the key to un-locking Oxford was Cook/Green occasionally moving inside to receive passes and when Pigott realised that now and again he needed to come short rather than just hang on the last man. That created a few gaps and Stephens took real advantage. The way that Pigott got better as the game went on and didn't fade was very encouraging.

Interesting change to the set-up against a deep laying team; both centre-backs pushed out wide to receive the ball from Hamer, which meant full-backs were pushed further on. It didn't work early on as nobody really came short so Cort & Wood resorted to lumping it for the first 20 mins....but when the midfield & forwards finally offered themselves, we were really able to hurt Oxford. Very well played, tactically and technically from the whole team.
  • Options

I wasn't there last night, my 1st game will be @ Barnsley .. does the performance from the revamped midfielders, especially Stephens and Holland, mean that Pritchard's place in the side is no longer a certainty? ... AND, I have a feeling that Joe Pigott has the skill, confidence and build to become in time a Denis Bergkamp (pray to the Lord he comes close to this standard) type of midfielder/striker, a powerhouse in central midfield .. am I right in having this 'vision' ?

No!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    rikofold said:

Well, I didn't see anything in the midfield that would dislodge Hughes and Gower from a starting berth on Saturday, and I'd expect Wilson to get the nod ahead of Green for Pritchard's berth, Green putting in the sort of performance that switched between showing his talent and showing why Powell struggles to trust him.

The team did more than enough to win, but the central midfield didn't do enough to get hold of the game in the first hour. We didn't cope with their players running through our midfield in the first half and a better side might have taken one of the two or three decent chances they had.

Interesting observations especially as we were 3-0 up after 57 minutes. SCP may well decide to give the same team, barring Pritchard, that under performed last Saturday a chance to put the record straight. However three of that midfield are now under added pressure to deliver, if selected!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

No!!!!
    to the point ... cheers (:->)
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

...Interesting change to the set-up against a deep laying team; both centre-backs pushed out wide to receive the ball from Hamer, which meant full-backs were pushed further on. It didn't work early on as nobody really came short so Cort & Wood resorted to lumping it for the first 20 mins....but when the midfield & forwards finally offered themselves, we were really able to hurt Oxford. Very well played, tactically and technically from the whole team.

Yeah, I noticed that. I was a bit worried at first because we ad a huge hole at the back with their number 9 wandering around in it. But it all seemed to work out ok.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

What he said
  • Options
    If Hollands and Stephens don't now get a start against Boro, they should be shipped out before the end of the transfer window. Personally I think any midfield permutation works better without Pritchard in it, as he lacks the technical ability to cut it at Championship level.