Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Birthday Eddie Firmani

The great man is eighty years young today. It only seems like yesterday watching him terrorise defences.

Comments

• Options

Happy Birthday.

Would be great to hear him speak about his career, both at Charlton and abroad. Perhaps an idea for the club or a supporters organisation or CAFC player.
  • Options
    Many Happy returns to Eddie (The Perfect Human) Firmani
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, Eddie. And many more to come.
  • Options
    Anyone know if he ever wrote a book about his career?
  • Options
    To young to have seen him play, but one of my dads (RIP) all time favourites....happy birthday Eddie, though I doubt he comes on here to read it.
  • Options
    Is he still the only player to have scored over 100 goals in both England and Italy?
  • Options

Is he still the only player to have scored over 100 goals in both England and Italy?

According to Wikipedia, yes.
  • Options
    King Eddie.
  • Options
    Great player. Great man. His return from Italy in 1963, and the way he galvanized both the team and the fans was ,without doubt, the happiest time I've ever had supporting Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy Birthday. Absolute class act.
  • Options
    A Charlton Great who I was privileged to see play.

Many Happy Returns.
  • Options
    Wait... I have a picture of Eddie somewhere. I must post it!
  • Options
    All my memories of Eddie are fond ones, as Seth said such a class act. I would like to think that he is reading this thread, if not could we perhaps send it to him ?
  • Options
    class act sums him up ! happy birthday edddie
  • Options
    Granpa said:

All my memories of Eddie are fond ones, as Seth said such a class act. I would like to think that he is reading this thread, if not could we perhaps send it to him ?

Great idea that, maybe through CAFC...?
  • Options

Great player. Great man. His return from Italy in 1963, and the way he galvanized both the team and the fans was ,without doubt, the happiest time I've ever had supporting Charlton.

• Options
    You have got it spot on. I could not think of the appropriate sentiments at the time; however, you have nailed it for me. 3-1 away to Man City and 5-2 at home to Cardiff for starters. Absolute magic stuff.
  • Options

pettgra Member
    2:35PM
    You have got it spot on. I could not think of the appropriate sentiments at the time; however, you have nailed it for me. 3-1 away to Man City and 5-2 at home to Cardiff for starters. Absolute magic stuff.

Thanks Pettgra. Magical days. My second full season going to the Valley, and watching Eddie tearing defences apart, week after week, home and away, had this little kid hooked for life.
  • Options
    Great memories of a great,great player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

pettgra Member
    2:35PM

Thanks Pettgra. Magical days. My second full season going to the Valley, and watching Eddie tearing defences apart, week after week, home and away, had this little kid hooked for life.

Bang on.
    My first Charlton hero - Eddie was a class act
  • Options

As someone else has said, this is still the case. Thought John Charles would have been close. A quick search reveals that whilst he scored more goals overall than Eddie, he was 3 short of 100 goals in Italy.

John Foot in the book Calcio describes Eddie as being one of only four players from the English leagues who were an unqualified success in Italy (Hitchens, Charles and Brady being the others).
  • Options
    I can still see that first goal against Bury. Trapped it on top of his thigh letting it drop and hitting it before it reached the ground. In 1963 you could have only learnt how do that in Italy, or did Eddie also teach the Italians a thing or two. Many more years Eddie!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Eddie
  • Options
    Happy birthday eddie-photo shows eddie on right scoreing against wolves.
  • Options
    Happy B'day Eddie, to young to have seen you play but your legend lives on.
  • Options
    A great player, long may he continue to be with us. Happy Birthday.