Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dragons Den

Return of a new series Theo and the slightly scary looking lady have been replaced.

What occurred to me is that it is quite strange how people more than often come into the Den without knowing the facts and figures of their business and don't even think to at least write them down on scrap bit of paper before presenting it. E.g (net profit of the last year)

The people that apply to go on the show have obviously watched dragons den and would identify that the error of not knowing your business numbers is a regular occurrence but yet still never learn to produce what I would have thought the most important thing, unless of course you are embarrassed of the figures or naive enough to think it's not relevant. Appears to be no valid excuse for not knowing that information.

The set-up is on par with towie...just so Duncan can quite rightly lay into someone who's asking for 10s of thousands pounds of his money and can't even do their homework or an acceptable amount of preparation.

I'm not an entrepreneur and don't have a business (pretty far from it) so maybe I'm missing something and the show isn't just about viewing figures.

Used to think it was really good.

Comments

• Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2013
    That bloke had a proper breakdown last night! Was car crash tele.

I certainly think they've gone down the 'drama' route a lot more, with that lift & reaction cam etc
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    another decent reality TV idea goes down the tubes looking for a bigger audience .. I agree with JT .. the BBC should spend less angst on gaining a huge number of viewers and more on creating quality programmes .. leave the sensationalist 'red top' programmes to the commercial stations .. the Beeb will still get the licence money if millions are watching or 'mere' hundreds of thousands.... a public broadcast network should attempt to educate and not always to tittilate
  • Options
    I know someone that has been on it and has just been invested in. not sure when it's on though. Don't usually watch it, but will tune in for that one.
  • Options
    I think the only real aim of those going on it these days is to generate public awareness of their product.
  • Options
    I dont think they are allowed notes.

They are meant to know turnover / profit etc if they have properly prepped for a presentation.
  • Options

I know someone that has been on it and has just been invested in. not sure when it's on though. Don't usually watch it, but will tune in for that one.

Can you get me some Reggae Reggae sauce then ... ??

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Return of a new series Theo and the slightly scary looking lady have been replaced.

What occurred to me is that it is quite strange how people more than often come into the Den without knowing the facts and figures of their business and don't even think to at least write them down on scrap bit of paper before presenting it. E.g (net profit of the last year)

The people that apply to go on the show have obviously watched dragons den and would identify that the error of not knowing your business numbers is a regular occurrence but yet still never learn to produce what I would have thought the most important thing, unless of course you are embarrassed of the figures or naive enough to think it's not relevant. Appears to be no valid excuse for not knowing that information.

The set-up is on par with towie...just so Duncan can quite rightly lay into someone who's asking for 10s of thousands pounds of his money and can't even do their homework or an acceptable amount of preparation.

I'm not an entrepreneur and don't have a business (pretty far from it) so maybe I'm missing something and the show isn't just about viewing figures.

Used to think it was really good.

I think you're right DaveXXI. The lack of preparation is quite frightening but unfortunately not surprising. I used to do some recruitment interviews and was quite shocked that graduates didn't seem to have the basic sense to actually do some research on their prospective employer or even browse the web site. Quite shocking really.
    That said, I suspect the Beeb deliberately choose some muppets to make for a more interesting show.
  • Options
    Never been the same since Farleigh got replaced.

"Richard Farleigh is based in Monaco...."

On the upside, good to see the BBC given a chance to a blind presenter. How he reads tge autocue I'll never know.
  • Options
    Felt properly sorry for that bloke.. Had just broken down after saying his wife had a miscarriage and the first thing Peter Jones said to him was that his noodles tasted like baby food!!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tony and Michael from South East London have an interesting proposition for the den

TJ & MS: "We'd like to interest you in investing £20m for a 15% stake in a football club in south east London, and it's not the one Theo used to own"
    Bannatyne: Thank god for that