Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Youth Players

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
I had a flick through the handbook last night and there was a player called Ahearne-Grant who scored 12 goals in 14 under 18 matches last season.

When I looked through the young pros and academy personnel there was no sign of him.

Any of you youth experts know why? I know stats are by no means the full story but on the face of it he has something to offer with that scoring ratio I would have thought.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    He's not old enough for the academy yet, so isn't listed.

He was U18 top scorer as an U15 and if he isn't poached by a bigger club, he should become a scholar next season.
  • Options
    Right thanks.

Another Jonjo maybe?
  • Options
    I've not come across his name before either, and I usually try to keep updated with U15s-U18s. We do have a fantastic selection of youngsters coming through. Though Chelsea seemed to have spotted that recently as they seem to have an eye of a few of them unfortunately.
  • Options
    Karlan Grant
  • Options
    The U18's kicked off their season with a 6-0 win away at Bristol City. Ahearne-Grant bagged a hat-trick.
  • Options
    Bloody hell - On that goal scoring basis from this season and last, lock him in the CP's office cupboard and only let him out to train and play... oh and maybe use the toilet
  • Options

The U18's kicked off their season with a 6-0 win away at Bristol City. Ahearne-Grant bagged a hat-trick.

He is going to be a good player, can see a bigger club coming in for him.

• Options
    I take it you've seen him a few times @dickplumb, how does he compare to the likes of Shelvey at a similar age? Hope we can keep him here.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

He is going to be a good player, can see a bigger club coming in for him.

I'd be amazed if they haven't had a go at getting him already.

The U16's also won their game - 5-2.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I take it you've seen him a few times @dickplumb, how does he compare to the likes of Shelvey at a similar age? Hope we can keep him here.

I have only seen him two or three times but is very lively and quick. Shelvey was more physically strong and playing in a different position. He looks like a natural goalscorer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would you compare him to any Strikers out there at the moment that he may be able to emulate?
  • Options

Would you compare him to any Strikers out there at the moment that he may be able to emulate?

Difficult to say as i haven't seen him enough. Will be going to a lot more U18 games this season so I will keep everybody updated on the new players.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Difficult to say as i haven't seen him enough. Will be going to a lot more U18 games this season so I will keep everybody updated on the new players.

It's a very big group of over 20 players. Going to be interesting to see who plays regularly, if any go on loan, who is involved at U21 level etc.
  • Options
    We have got some decent midfielders at U21 level with Muldoon,Poyet,Jordan. Also it will be interesting how Tobi Sho Silva and Ade Azeez do for the U21s.
  • Options
    Thinking about it, Paul Hart did suggest in the programme last week that some of the u21s need experience out on loan in the FL.
  • Options
    http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201308&date=20130818&time=0004

Match report on the 6-0 win over Bristol City. U16s beat them 5-2. As well as Ahearne-Grant, George Lapslie is also an U16.

Charlton:Harry Doherty, Aaron Barnes, Joe Gomez, Terrell Thomas, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis; Regan Cook (Connor Leon),
    George Lapslie, Alex Kelly (Greig Stewart); Joshua Umerah (Ellis Brown), Karlan Ahearne-Grant, Brandon Hanlan

Subs (Not Used):.
    Levander Pyke.
    Mehawl Martin.
  • Options
    I know we've got Tareiq Holmes-Dennis in the LB slot but no Archie Edwards?
  • Options
    He's been away with England recently, might have been rested?
  • Options
    That is two cracking left-back prospects we've got there.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201308&date=20130818&time=0004

Match report on the 6-0 win over Bristol City. U16s beat them 5-2. As well as Ahearne-Grant, George Lapslie is also an U16.

Charlton:Harry Doherty, Aaron Barnes, Joe Gomez, Terrell Thomas, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis; Regan Cook (Connor Leon),
    George Lapslie, Alex Kelly (Greig Stewart); Joshua Umerah (Ellis Brown), Karlan Ahearne-Grant, Brandon Hanlan

Subs (Not Used):.
    Levander Pyke.
    Mehawl Martin.

Connor Leon is my mates boy, going to be a great player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ahearne grant should be well known within the club later this year. expect poyet to get some sub appearances aswell, poyet is absolutely incredible, sign him on a 20 year contract..... sorted
  • Options

ahearne grant should be well known within the club later this year. expect poyet to get some sub appearances aswell, poyet is absolutely incredible, sign him on a 20 year contract..... sorted

Agreed. Cousins is getting the attention at the moment, but Poyet overshadowed him when he moved up to the under-21's near the end of last season.

• Options
    just one thing to think about, of the 18 players in the u18 squad there, maybe 2 will make it. levander pyke and mehawl martin i expect will be released in less than a years time. its brutal, but im not lying, even if you do get a pro contract, you might still be released in a year. a third of them will be released aged 18 or under. of the remaining 12, i expect 6 will get pro contracts, 4 for 6 months of some shit like that. i think ahearne grant will be sold to chelski, for the money
  • Options

just one thing to think about, of the 18 players in the u18 squad there, maybe 2 will make it. levander pyke and mehawl martin i expect will be released in less than a years time. its brutal, but im not lying, even if you do get a pro contract, you might still be released in a year. a third of them will be released aged 18 or under. of the remaining 12, i expect 6 will get pro contracts, 4 for 6 months of some shit like that. i think ahearne grant will be sold to chelski, for the money

Well that's positive.
  • Options

What a load of old rubbish, the only reason you have chosen those two is because they were named as substitutes yesterday. Have you ever seen the U18s play? Of course there are a number of players who don't make it, that is the same at any club.

• Options
    Well said Dick!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dickplumb said:

What a load of old rubbish, the only reason you have chosen those two is because they were named as substitutes yesterday. Have you ever seen the U18s play? Of course there are a number of players who don't make it, that is the same at any club.

jackmasterflash is only 14, (you need to be aware).
  • Options
    Goals from the Bristol City game..

1. Ahearne-Grant
    2. Lapslie
    3. Own Goal
    4. Ahearne-Grant
    5. Brown
    6. Ahearne-Grant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZLs5mNPUA
  • Options

Goals from the Bristol City game..

1. Ahearne-Grant
    2. Lapslie
    3. Own Goal
    4. Ahearne-Grant
    5. Brown
    6. Ahearne-Grant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZLs5mNPUA

That last goal is a cracker.
  • Options

The u21 side is there to stop clubs having to make decisions when a player is 17/18