Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sordell must play.

Unfortunately, I think maybe one of our strikers will be axed to shore up the midfield. Yann has strength, good technique and intelligence; therefore could he play in a withdrawn roll with Sordell up top. I know he ended doing that on Saturday but that was more in desperation. I am not comparing them to him ability wise; however Cantona did it brilliantly and Rooney does well, albeit grudgingly adding bite to the midfield as well.
Before you all think I have gone mad, I do have a vested interest in Sordell playing as I have a fiver e/w @ 100/1 to be top scorer in the championship. It looks like my betting slip might read sod all instead of Sordell. My mate said good luck, he won't be even top scorer at Charlton. Cheers for that.

Comments

• Options
    I think it is early days for Sordell as he hasn't had a lot of time to adjust to his new club and the players haven't had time to adjust to him. I remember BWP and Kermogant not playing that well together in their first few games. The problem for him is that Church sxcored 2 against Oxford and looked a better bet against Boro when he came on so if we do go with 2 up front, I'd expect Church to get the nod.
  • Options

I think it is early days for Sordell as he hasn't had a lot of time to adjust to his new club and the players haven't had time to adjust to him. I remember BWP and Kermogant not playing that well together in their first few games. The problem for him is that Church sxcored 2 against Oxford and looked a better bet against Boro when he came on so if we do go with 2 up front, I'd expect Church to get the nod.

Agreed. It's surprising, because apparently Church was meant to be well short of fitness and confidence - but he's got off to a better start than Sordell.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    The service to Sordell was awful on Saturday to be fair!
  • Options

The service to Sordell was awful on Saturday to be fair!

Do you still think I have done my tenner lads. Doesn't look promising does it.

• Options
    Dont worry pettgra your not the only plonker to do this bet. I also have a fiver each way at 100-1 :)

Think he will score a few once the team get going but doubt very much he will be in the top 3 or 4 places.
  • Options
    Try to come to terms with its loss
  • Options
    He badly needs that first goal.
  • Options

Think you were ripped off at 100-1 but to be fair he was obviously not match fit and had no sharpness (rather like the rest of the team).

• Options

Ha Ha cheers lads. I have instructed CP to tell the players they must pass to him at every opportunity. Even if he is on the floor!

• Options
    pettgra said:

Ha Ha cheers lads. I have instructed CP to tell the players they must pass to him at every opportunity. Even if he is on the floor!

1000-1 on that ever happening

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Judging by Saturday, that is probably the worst possible approach! Better to ask them to pass to the opponents - more chance of getting to him!
  • Options
    At the moment if Sordell, or anyone else for that matter, wants to score they should exclusively practise converting one of Morrison's ' up and unders '.
  • Options

Judging by Saturday, that is probably the worst possible approach! Better to ask them to pass to the opponents - more chance of getting to him!

Oh well. I wonder if the bookmaker laid my bet off. I could see the panic in his eyes.

• Options
    Think the midfield needs to improve a lot more passing-wise to get the best out of Sordell.

Church's workrate works better within our 'lump it to Yann' system.
  • Options
    Green was hardly suppling pinpoint crosses
  • Options
    Feed the Fish and he will score!

/thread
  • Options
    pettgra said:

If that means we pass the ball along the ground, I am happy for this to happen. ;).

• Options

If that means we pass the ball along the ground, I am happy for this to happen. ;).

Agreed
  • Options
    Il give you 1000/1 if you want! Problem isn't the player but the lack of any sort of creativity in midfield.
  • Options
    if yann could play in midfield and church and sordell up front,would give the midfield creativity,could this work with the right system?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

if yann could play in midfield and church and sordell up front,would give the midfield creativity,could this work with the right system?

No.

Let midfielders play in midfield and attackers in the forward line. By dragging YK into midfield you risk weakening the midfield and will rob the forward line of our most creative player.

• Options

Solly's our best player throw him up front.
    Hamer's tall put him in as target man.
    Harriott is a complete brick play him centre half.
    Pigott's got a shit haircut put him in goal!
    Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
  • Options
    im not sure about him, saturday didnt impress me

he reminds me too much of BWP's bad things, jogging around, not pressuring the defence, poor passing, wears the 10 shirt (not bad just a similarity), doesnt make up with the lack of pressure with blistering pace, etc
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Solly's our best player throw him up front.
    Hamer's tall put him in as target man.
    Harriott is a complete brick play him centre half.
    Pigott's got a shit haircut put him in goal!
    Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
    Well thats me told then,fell off me chair when i read this witty reply

• Options
    I know it's apparently not his game but his first touch with his back to goal in the first two games has been terrible.
  • Options
    Feed The Pig and he will score. I hope we're not under any obligation to play Sordell as part of the deal.
  • Options

I don't think it is a viable starting formation, but a game chasing one when we are not firing on all cylinders could be possible.
  • Options
    Strikers need to work in tandem, and strikers also tend to play in certain ways.

I think Sordell looks a decent player, butis not a target man. He plays on the shoulders of defenders, and is looking for flicks and passes that he can run onto.

Yann likes to come deep, and make things happen, so at the moment the partnership doesn't seem to work.

That doesn't mean it can't, but both need to learn how each other plays. Partnerships rarely click instantly.

But, at the moment, Yann and Church look the most likely partnership to work. This is because they both work so hard to get onto the ball.

However, I think there is justification in playing Pigott and Yann, seeing how well they worked together against Welling. Yes, you have to take into account the quality of the opposition, but you also have to take into account that the 4 goals scored in the 1st half where all scored by one half of the partnership, and made by the other. This shows an understanding that has been lacking with the other partnerships tried, with the exception of Oxford.

And I, and I hope nobody else, is advocating the dropping of Yann? At least, not just yet!
  • Options
    Yann behind Pigott, now you're talking. Joe would have stirred things up nicely on Saturday instead of Church who looked like a lost pony.