Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benefits Britain 1949 on channel 4

Anyone watch it? Was mentioned to me so going to watch it on 4od.
By all accounts compares benefits today to those available in 1949, first episode looks at how the state should support disabled, long-term sick and elderly people.

Comments

• Options
    I'm afraid not, after watching the "Council House" documentary I'm frightened I might put my size 9 through the screen.
    Is it the one where in the trailer the young guy say's he'd have to work 40 hours a week to get the same money?
  • Options
    Haven't watched it yet t.c.e............this is the 4od desc

Craig, who's 24, finds that being born with spina bifida doesn't entitle him to any benefits under the 1949 rules. But the post-war welfare state has another solution: it offers him training and work experience, and it has the power to force employers to take on workers with disabilities.

Craig has applied for hundreds of jobs in the past four years without success. Will his 1949 work experience at a call centre be a turning point?

Melvyn, who's 71, hands over his 2013 pension, only to find that in 1949 he receives just £38.48 (the precise sum he'd have got then, adjusted for inflation). From this, he has to cover his food, bills and transport for the week.

Initially he appears to be coping well, but is soon plunged into debt and is forced to pawn his grandfather's watch. What would the 1949 system have done with a pensioner who was failing to cope?

Karen, who's 54, is on sickness benefit. Having worked all her life, she feels she should be entitled to greater support, rather than the government trying to take away more of her benefits.

2013 has judged her eligible for state aid, but will 1949 take as sympathetic a view of her conditions?

SERIES SYNOPSIS
    Everyone's got an opinion about the welfare state, whether we're bemoaning 'scroungers' or pointing out how it's failed the vulnerable, but there's no consensus on how it can be fixed.

In this bold piece of living history, current benefits claimants volunteer to live for a week by the rules of 1949 to explore how our safety net should work.
  • Options
    Do they have 1949 living costs too?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    While we're on the subject. Friends of mine out here are getting divorced just before their 1st anniversary because she's now decided that she's a lesbian and so she's going back to the UK. Anyway, she popped back last week to pick up some of her and their little boys clothes so me and the missus went over for a BBQ and to say goodbye (to the 4 year old lad) and she was saying that she's started applying for full time jobs, but has been "advised" by the big house not to and also to run every vacancy she applies for past them first as it could have an impact on her social payments. They've already told her to turn down one part time job offer (over the phone) because its more than a certain amount of hours a week.
    She's basically being advised by the benefits people to stay on the doll!

Mental!
  • Options
    Karen is an overweight, foul mouthed old bag who thinks the world owes her a living. If she lost a few stone of fat most of her (imagined?) ailments would disappear. But then, of course, she wouldn't be able to claim benefits.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Karen is an overweight, foul mouthed old bag who thinks the world owes her a living. If she lost a few stone of fat most of her (imagined?) ailments would disappear. But then, of course, she wouldn't be able to claim benefits.

Without a doubt. That young lad who was in a worse position than her ad such a fantastic attitude and work ethic. Lovely ladand I would have given him a job if I had a job to give.

The thing with that was that the work "scheme" he went on to replace benefits eventually landed him a job, a job which he was grateful for, if you suggested doing that to the unemployed, "working for your benefits" let alone the disabled you would have a massive outcry from so many people, but that young man is now in full time employment, but just remember, you're entitled to whatever you want, and whatever I have :-)
  • Options
    Totally agree, top, top lad who just gets on with life with a smile on his face, even though he 's been dealt a pretty crap hand.
  • Options

This

• Options
    Being advised to stay on the doll? Interesting :-)
  • Options
    *dole