Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hamer "Not been enough intensity about our work"

From http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/chris-powell-sure-charlton-will-find-top-gear-soon-8769817.html

Chris Powell has worked his Charlton players harder in training this week in a bid to put right their slow start to the season.

Charlton have lost their opening two games in the Championship and boss Powell is demanding improvements ahead of tomorrow’s trip to Barnsley.

“We have had some in-house discussion over the past few days and the manager told us in no uncertain terms that it was nowhere near good enough against Middlesbrough,” said goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

“We have not been on our mettle, there has not been enough intensity about our work. At the training ground we have got to be more intense so this week has been sharp, intense and the manager has worked us harder.

“We wanted to start in the same fashion that we ended last season but I am sure it will click soon and we will be alright when it all comes together.”

Simon Church has been on international duty with Wales but was an unused substitute against Ireland, which will do little to help his search for full fitness following his move to The Valley.

Forward Church, 24, was without a club for most of the summer after leaving Reading and only joined Charlton two days before the start of the season. He scored two goals against Oxford in the League Cup last week and could start tomorrow.

“Churchy showed glimpses of his quality against Oxford," said Hamer. "He did very well when he came on against Middlesbrough and Marvin Sordell is looking good so hopefully we can get them both firing.

“We just need to get that first win on the board and then we can build on it. We will go to Barnsley believing we can get a result up there.”

Comments

• Options
    Good.
  • Options
    The players have always said it amazes them that CP can go mental at them in the dressing room and then 2 mins later come out and give a cool calm interview to the press.
  • Options
    I thought pre season was all about intensity, surely the last thing needed after two weeks is upping the intensity. I can understand the players being distracted by off field, but never thought that pre season would not be intense enough, which is the implication.
  • Options
    the talk is right, now time for them to do it on the pitch.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I thought pre season was all about intensity, surely the last thing needed after two weeks is upping the intensity. I can understand the players being distracted by off field, but never thought that pre season would not be intense enough, which is the implication.

Indeed it is. Management team and Sports Scientist(Is that right?) seem to have been caught out.

• Options
    Early reports from those that attended the pre season friendly's stated the players looked "leaner, meaner and hungry", pre season is all about getting fit and hitting the ground running. If this is the talk coming out the changing room and training ground before the end of August we are in trouble.

Forget the spin & waffle Ben, do it on the pitch!

• Options
    Talk is cheap. They know whats expected of them and shouldn't need reminding.
  • Options
    I agree!It should not take 2 games to realise and be told you need to up your performance!
  • Options
    Always bank on Hamer to have something to say. Just a pity he didn't say anything when coming out into no mans land last week to collect the ball, leaving a wide open goal.......................
  • Options
    Ok, so next time he is asked a question he should just blank the reporter....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Early reports from those that attended the pre season friendly's stated the players looked "leaner, meaner and hungry", pre season is all about getting fit and hitting the ground running. If this is the talk coming out the changing room and training ground before the end of August we are in trouble.

Yeah, on this point I remember a lot of people were saying Yann was looking fit a strong pre season. All of sudden one poor performance against Boro and he has been on the 'mars bar' diet during the summer break.
  • Options

Yeah, on this point I remember a lot of people were saying Yann was looking fit a strong pre season. All of sudden one poor performance against Boro and he has been on the 'mars bar' diet during the summer break.
    Well, it's funny you should say that because I saw a couple of PSF's and Yann the rest all looked incredibly slim, fit & toned. As good as I can ever remember.

Yet on Saturday Yann definitely looked bulky to me, which I couldn't & still can't understand.

Perhaps, he was wearing some sort of undergarment or padding to protect a knock or something.

It would make no sense to suggest he'd piled on weight, since the season started. It's a mystery.
  • Options
    I think we need to look at the season starting tomorrow and put last week to bed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Well, it's funny you should say that because I saw a couple of PSF's and Yann the rest all looked incredibly slim, fit & toned. As good as I can ever remember.

Yet on Saturday Yann definitely looked bulky to me, which I couldn't & still can't understand.

Perhaps, he was wearing some sort of undergarment or padding to protect a knock or something.

It would make no sense to suggest he'd piled on weight, since the season started. It's a mystery.
    Yeah, my girlfriend asked me "Has Yann always been that large?" - which is when I noticed it. Yet even against Welling he seemed in very good shape.

On a similar note, Simon Church looked like quite a chubster on a photo taken during the Oxford League game which was posted on the cafc twitter.
  • Options
    The banqueting manager was sacked for (allegedly) selling cheap pies to the players on the side. It all adds up now.