Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Shearer: Too many French players at Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

The argument is that home grown talent is overlooked so they're not given the chance to be good enough.

I'm really not sure. I just think that the shocking lack of proper coaching at grass roots levels means we end up producing players with very poor technical ability.
    Maybe if the 3 foreigner rule was brought in there'd be more interest and more millions pumped into the finding and development of young grass roots players
  • Options
    So let the talent get nurtured in the Championship, which is probably of higher quality than it's ever been.
  • Options
    Cliques won't appear if there are too many of one nationality. There would be one big French clique. Could see his point if everyone is of different nationality and speaks different languages.
  • Options
    Isn't there an Essex clique at Charlton?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

The argument is that home grown talent is overlooked so they're not given the chance to be good enough.

Maybe if the 3 foreigner rule was brought in there'd be more interest and more millions pumped into the finding and development of young grass roots players
    I wonder if the pressure for instant success and amount of money to be gained from achieving doesn't help clubs think about the long term future of their and youngsters?

The top teams wouldn't be allowed to develop a side over a number of years like Ferguson did due to the high demands of supporters and media for success...

Aren't clubs required to have a number of home grown players in their squads or does that not work because it can include overseas players who come through the Academies?

• Options
    se9addick said:

I'm really not sure. I just think that the shocking lack of proper coaching at grass roots levels means we end up producing players with very poor technical ability. Look at the u20 & u21s this summer, absolutely dire.

If we restrict the number of foreigners it will only mean that it's not just poor players we're producing but poor teams and a poor competition.

Correct, it would just be a really poor competition as the youngsters are not good enough, forcing a poorer product would probably affect the Sky deal and make us even worse. With the completely ridiculous prices you have to pay to buy a player from another English club let alone an English player from an England club, teams would much rather try and produce their own players.

"The incredible depth of Germany's coaching resources, as well as the DFB's close relationship with Bundesliga clubs, helps to make the programme. According to Uefa, Germany has 28,400 (England 1,759) coaches with the B licence, 5,500 (895) with the A licence and 1,070 (115) with the Pro licence, the highest qualification. It is little wonder that Ashworth said last month that there will be no quick fix for English football. The country that invented the game has forgotten that we need people to teach it."

^ is the problem.

Shearer's point was different though to be fair in that it causes cliques rather than a difference in quality, which is possible I guess. Other than the French Arsenal players being better, I guess also an English speaking manager and probably more than half the team speaking French and bitching about Pardew behind his back could cause more problems in creating the cliques. Of course they would be right to moan about Pardew until he's replaced with Joe Kinnear though.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

I'm really not sure. I just think that the shocking lack of proper coaching at grass roots levels means we end up producing players with very poor technical ability.
    I think you might be looking at this problem arse about face, Rob
    The simple fact is, we are not producing kids of a high enough quality.
    Why?
    We lack the coaches.

If the local lads had developed the skills by 12 years old, of course they would develop, but the sad fact is we don't have that kind of set up in the UK, and won't for at least a generation. Lots of post tournament bleating about changing the English game has produced nothing.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I'm really not sure. I just think that the shocking lack of proper coaching at grass roots levels means we end up producing players with very poor technical ability. Look at the u20 & u21s this summer, absolutely dire.

If we restrict the number of foreigners it will only mean that it's not just poor players we're producing but poor teams and a poor competition.

Correct, it would just be a really poor competition as the youngsters are not good enough, forcing a poorer product would probably affect the Sky deal and make us even worse. With the completely ridiculous prices you have to pay to buy a player from another English club let alone an English player from an England club, teams would much rather try and produce their own players.

"The incredible depth of Germany's coaching resources, as well as the DFB's close relationship with Bundesliga clubs, helps to make the programme. According to Uefa, Germany has 28,400 (England 1,759) coaches with the B licence, 5,500 (895) with the A licence and 1,070 (115) with the Pro licence, the highest qualification. It is little wonder that Ashworth said last month that there will be no quick fix for English football. The country that invented the game has forgotten that we need people to teach it."

^ is the problem.

Shearer's point was different though to be fair in that it causes cliques rather than a difference in quality, which is possible I guess. Other than the French Arsenal players being better, I guess also an English speaking manager and probably more than half the team speaking French and bitching about Pardew behind his back could cause more problems in creating the cliques. Of course they would be right to moan about Pardew until he's replaced with Joe Kinnear though.
    Modern football
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    Yep, and grassroots football in England is stuck in the past.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Whatever way I perceive it it ain't gonna matter, no use shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. I just find it incredible that an English side can field an entire squad of foreign players and people think it's for the good of the English game. So much for the anti capitalist liberals of CL eh..

; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Whatever way I perceive it it ain't gonna matter, no use shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. I just find it incredible that an English side can field an entire squad of foreign players and people think it's for the good of the English game. So much for the anti capitalist liberals of CL eh..

; )

If you really want to watch second rate, but all British players, perhaps I could suggest a trip down to Ebbsfleet? ;-)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    Tell that to the hundreds of families who watch their lads work their socks off week in week out that they're stuck in the past. Sure they'd love that
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

; )

If you really want to watch second rate, but all British players, perhaps I could suggest a trip down to Ebbsfleet? ;-)
    Done that worn the T-shirt and worn it out pal. I doubt I'll ever pay money to go to a Prem game ever again
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    Tell that to the hundreds of families who watch their lads work their socks off week in week out that they're stuck in the past. Sure they'd love that
    Better still, get them to ask what level coaching badge is in charge of developing the little huffers and puffers.

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

; )

Done that worn the T-shirt and worn it out pal. I doubt I'll ever pay money to go to a Prem game ever again
    Amen to that, Rob.
    Unless Charlton make it back to the trough one day!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    And there it is - we think that effort is all that's required. It's not. If you're "working your socks off" under a poor coach/someone's Dad who, despite best intentions, doesn't really know what they're doing them we're stopping them progressing. It's for "the hundreds of families" and their "lads" that we need to sort our game out from the bottom up and the answer isn't simply limiting the number of foreign players in the game.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    And there it is - we think that effort is all that's required. It's not. If your "working your socks off" under a poor coach/someone's Dad who, despite best intentions, doesn't really know what they're doing them we're stopping them progressing. It's for "the hundreds of families" and their "lads" that we need to sort our game out from the bottom up and the answer isn't simply limiting the number of foreign players in the game.
    Do you know anything about the development side of things at 7-10 years old? Do you know about the feeder clubs who work with local scouts from local pro clubs to pass on any talent in their midst? Its all there if there was more emphasis put on the clubs to use it
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

; )

Amen to that, Rob.
    Unless Charlton make it back to the trough one day!

Even when that happens, the nearest I'll be will be the Lib watching on the vidiprinter
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    And there it is - we think that effort is all that's required. It's not. If your "working your socks off" under a poor coach/someone's Dad who, despite best intentions, doesn't really know what they're doing them we're stopping them progressing. It's for "the hundreds of families" and their "lads" that we need to sort our game out from the bottom up and the answer isn't simply limiting the number of foreign players in the game.
    Do you know anything about the development side of things at 7-10 years old? Do you know about the feeder clubs who work with local scouts from local pro clubs to pass on any talent in their midst? Its all there if there was more emphasis put on the clubs to use it

Clearly, it is not there.
  • Options
    I think it is there if the emphasis was put on the clubs to use it.

Plain and simply the domestic game's gone in completely the wrong direction over the last 10-20 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    You can have all the scouts in the world, but without decent coaching levels (both quality and quantity) we're simply making the pool of selection so woefully shallow that big clubs, particularly those that compete in Europe, have to look abroad.

Just for reference here are the number of qualified (UEFA A, B and Pro badges) to registered players in major European nations ;

Spain 1:17
    Italy 1:48
    France 1:96
    Germany 1:150
    Greece 1:135
    England 1:812

So in Spain for every 17 players there's a qualified coach. In England it's one coach for every 812. If you still think the issue is the number of foreign players at the top level that's fine, but I think the only reason we're so reliant on foreign imports is because we just aren't giving enough of our own kids the right coaching.
  • Options
    Yep and that's why football grounds now aspire to be be multi-purpose arenas. Load of old wank.

Where's me time machine?
  • Options
    The FA have been changing the stucture of the game and formats in the kids level in recent years
    and clubs are trying to bring in better methods but there are still doughnut "up and at em" parents who don't look at the bigger picture and this is from experience with helping out my sons u7s team last year
  • Options
    Why would a club want to spent £30mill on an import, when home grown talent is so much cheaper?

We just don't have the coaches, the numbers posted above prove that.

What trees did the English team tear up 20-30 years ago that convinces you the problem is foreign talent playing in the prem?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Why would a club want to spent £30mill on an import, when home grown talent is so much cheaper?

What trees did the English team tear up 20-30 years ago that convinces you the problem is foreign talent playing in the prem?

I'm not saying we pulled any up, but you tell me if you think that a Premier League with 11 foreigners in EVERY side is good for the national team?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

^ is the problem.

Modern football
    You can have all the scouts in the world, but without decent coaching levels (both quality and quantity) we're simply making the pool of selection so woefully shallow that big clubs, particularly those that compete in Europe, have to look abroad.

Just for reference here are the number of qualified (UEFA A, B and Pro badges) to registered players in major European nations ;

Spain 1:17
    Italy 1:48
    France 1:96
    Germany 1:150
    Greece 1:135
    England 1:812

So in Spain for every 17 players there's a qualified coach. In England it's one coach for every 812. If you still think the issue is the number of foreign players at the top level that's fine, but I think the only reason we're so reliant on foreign imports is because we just aren't giving enough of our own kids the right coaching.
    I know its not the only reason, but it ain't gonna help is it!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I'm not saying we pulled any up, but you tell me if you think that a Premier League with 11 foreigners in EVERY side is good for the national team?

Well no but that isn't going to happen, also players like Walcott are more likely to get to reach international standard by training and playing alongside players like Fabregas/van Persie/Rosicky than average England youth.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Well no but that isn't going to happen, also players like Walcott are more likely to get to reach international standard by training and playing alongside players like Fabregas/van Persie/Rosicky than average England youth.
    Exactly, because of what's been created. Those players you've mentioned could've been British names and all just as good if the whole set-up was different from 10-20 even 30 years ago. IMO
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I agree - I don't think anyone is saying having a top flight where literally every team is manned solely by foreigners (although that's not really the case) is good for the English national team. Of course it isn't.

But what is being discussed is why have we found ourselves in this situation and what can be done to try and deal with the problem. As I said the biggest issue isn't that English players aren't given a chance it's that we don't produce enough who warrant a chance at the top level, and that is down to coaching at grass roots level.
  • Options
    Read what I said further up the thread @se9addick, in 10 to 20 years time a Prem League with 99.9% foreigners is completely do'able, if not sooner.