Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life as a kid

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
I grew up in Charlton on 10 St Alferge Road. I walked to school every day down Charlton Lane dribbling stones along the side walk path. Sometimes I would go through Marrion Park for a change of scenery as I headed towards Charlton Secondary School. My school won the regional cup and I played for the local district team as well as being a Charlton Athletic Colt. I have many fond memories growing up in Charlton, playing football at Charlton Park, having cups of tea at the cafe, bouncing around the parks. This topic is good for pages of material... Who did the paper rounds? all my brothers and sisters did. Walking around those hills carrying the heavy bag of papers proved to keep me fit and helped me become a professional football player. I didn't make it at the senior level at Charlton, a huge disapointment for me. Charlton has always produced talented players but have let alot of players slip through their ranks over the years. Anyway, Charlton is quite a unique area of South East London and its history is very rich. There are a lot worse areas around to grow up but Charlton is one which I will always be proud of. Who remembers that waste land field which backed onto Marrion park? There is a book that can be written about what went on there, November 5th bon fire nights were nuts as firework fights would commence. Just one out of hundreds of activities that kids got up to, we called it the dump... Anyway, I will follow this discussion to see who pops up on it.... George Gibbs

Comments

• edited August 2013
    George there is a really good thread on here from growing up in charlton back in the day. I'm sure some kind person will find it for you on here as I can't remember the title. You will find some memories on there.
  • Who did you play for?
  • I grew up in Charlton on 10 St Alferge Road. I walked to school every day down Charlton Lane dribbling stones along the side walk path. Sometimes I would go through Marrion Park for a change of scenery as I headed towards Charlton Secondary School. My school won the regional cup and I played for the local district team as well as being a Charlton Athletic Colt. I have many fond memories growing up in Charlton, playing football at Charlton Park, having cups of tea at the cafe, bouncing around the parks. This topic is good for pages of material... Who did the paper rounds? all my brothers and sisters did. Walking around those hills carrying the heavy bag of papers proved to keep me fit and helped me become a professional football player. I didn't make it at the senior level at Charlton, a huge disapointment for me. Charlton has always produced talented players but have let alot of players slip through their ranks over the years. Anyway, Charlton is quite a unique area of South East London and its history is very rich. There are a lot worse areas around to grow up but Charlton is one which I will always be proud of. Who remembers that waste land field which backed onto Marrion park? There is a book that can be written about what went on there, November 5th bon fire nights were nuts as firework fights would commence. Just one out of hundreds of activities that kids got up to, we called it the dump... Anyway, I will follow this discussion to see who pops up on it.... George Gibbs

Cox Mount, my house (648 Woolwich Road (opposite The Vic)) use to back onto it and I would go up there with me grandad to get the dear shit (yes it weren't cheap before any jokes) for our alotments. Also me uncle was tragically killed up there in an accident when he was very young.
  • I lived just outside the gate of Marion Wilson Park in Kinveachy Gardens. Was a good area to grow up with lots of green open space although I also spent at least as much time in Greenwich at my nans house in Colomb Street just by the top of Tunnel Avenue.
  • Curb_It said:

George there is a really good thread on here from growing up in charlton back in the day. I'm sure some kind person will find it for you on here as I can't remember the title. You will find some memories on there.

Thanks!
  • I think this is the link. I played in the district team with you, George.

forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/41914/new-article-living-in-charlton-village-in-the-1950-60s/p1

You did? What is your name? Thanks for the link, it is a great thread
  • Who did you play for?

Charlton Colt, Cardiff City, NASL Rochester Lancers, Toronto Blizzards, Tulsa Roughnecks
    Google George Gibbs NASL there are some pictures there of my days.
  • BIG_ROB said:

I grew up in Charlton on 10 St Alferge Road. I walked to school every day down Charlton Lane dribbling stones along the side walk path. Sometimes I would go through Marrion Park for a change of scenery as I headed towards Charlton Secondary School. My school won the regional cup and I played for the local district team as well as being a Charlton Athletic Colt. I have many fond memories growing up in Charlton, playing football at Charlton Park, having cups of tea at the cafe, bouncing around the parks. This topic is good for pages of material... Who did the paper rounds? all my brothers and sisters did. Walking around those hills carrying the heavy bag of papers proved to keep me fit and helped me become a professional football player. I didn't make it at the senior level at Charlton, a huge disapointment for me. Charlton has always produced talented players but have let alot of players slip through their ranks over the years. Anyway, Charlton is quite a unique area of South East London and its history is very rich. There are a lot worse areas around to grow up but Charlton is one which I will always be proud of. Who remembers that waste land field which backed onto Marrion park? There is a book that can be written about what went on there, November 5th bon fire nights were nuts as firework fights would commence. Just one out of hundreds of activities that kids got up to, we called it the dump... Anyway, I will follow this discussion to see who pops up on it.... George Gibbs

Cox Mount, my house (648 Woolwich Road (opposite The Vic)) use to back onto it and I would go up there with me grandad to get the dear shit (yes it weren't cheap before any jokes) for our alotments. Also me uncle was tragically killed up there in an accident when he was very young.
    BIG_ROB said:

I have been on Cox Mount, that place was very doggie place to play.... Loose soil paths and very steep, almost had a fall and that was my last time I went there.
  • Sponsored links:

forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/41914/new-article-living-in-charlton-village-in-the-1950-60s/p1

I've sent you a private message, George.

I have replied with my email, please drop me a line.

I have replied with my email, please drop me a line.
    Have done, George. Cheers!