Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First league game abandoned since.........

.......4 February 1978 against Orient (as was) at Brisbane Road. Abandoned at half time with the score at 0-0. Only other game since then to be abandoned to my knowledge was in May 1990 on a tour of Australia against Wide Bay. I believe this is the 16th ever Charlton game to be abandoned.

Comments

• Options
    I'm interested in the reasoning of the decisions today.
    I suspect that, had it been 0-0, it would have been abandoned at 25 mins because both managers would probably have agreed and the ref would have an easy decision. However, as Donny were in control, Dickov protested vehemently (as we saw).

At halftime, the momentum had changed. The stoppage affected Donny far more than us, we got a goal and they got a man sent off. I suspect Dickov weighed up the options and figured that he really didn't want to risk his team throwing away a 3 goal lead AND having a man suspended. Potentially disastrous morale-wise. So he cut his losses and agreed. Both teams will feel they've got away with one there. Us more than them, but still.
  • Options
    Just weird and farcical today
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I didn't think the managers had to agree, in fact, it's nothing to do with them.

Obviously refs try to get them onside and a gentlemans agreement and handshakes all round works best, but ultimately it's the refs call and his alone.
  • Options

I'm interested in the reasoning of the decisions today.
    I suspect that, had it been 0-0, it would have been abandoned at 25 mins because both managers would probably have agreed and the ref would have an easy decision. However, as Donny were in control, Dickov protested vehemently (as we saw).

At halftime, the momentum had changed. The stoppage affected Donny far more than us, we got a goal and they got a man sent off. I suspect Dickov weighed up the options and figured that he really didn't want to risk his team throwing away a 3 goal lead AND having a man suspended. Potentially disastrous morale-wise. So he cut his losses and agreed. Both teams will feel they've got away with one there. Us more than them, but still.

I think you've called it right there.

• Options
    I think it's pretty embarrassing to have a game called off for rain at this level. Especially seeing as every other game in London seemed to cope fine enough
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I didn't think the managers had to agree, in fact, it's nothing to do with them.

Obviously refs try to get them onside and a gentlemans agreement and handshakes all round works best, but ultimately it's the refs call and his alone.

I know what you mean Off_it.
    Like I say it's just a suspicion. However, I think that throughout the shenanigans, the ref thought it was borderline, so managers agreeing would make the decision easy, that's all.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I think it's pretty embarrassing to have a game called off for rain at this level. Especially seeing as every other game in London seemed to cope fine enough

Ffs! Why is it embarrassing? It rains. A lot. The ground gets soaked. It happens.

• Options
    Christ, was that Orient game 35 years ago! Seems like only yesterday.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Going to happen when there is no money to spend on the pitch. A mate of mine was at Orient today, they had the same rain but it drained off?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Interesting point. I notice just over the Thames at Leyton Orient the game was played to a conclusion, as it was at Dartford.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also had the non starter at The Valley, against West Ham, which was New Years Day about a decade ago.
  • Options

... suspect Dickov weighed up the options and figured that he really didn't want to risk his team throwing away a 3 goal lead AND having a man suspended ...

reds and (I think) yellows still count from suspended games, so the suspension will stand

• Options
    Off_it said:

Croydon said:

Ffs! Why is it embarrassing? It rains. A lot. The ground gets soaked. It happens.

Just my opinion. Plenty of lower league grounds coped with the same amount of rain, the pitch is in need of investment that's all I'm getting at

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Salad said:

... suspect Dickov weighed up the options and figured that he really didn't want to risk his team throwing away a 3 goal lead AND having a man suspended ...

reds and (I think) yellows still count from suspended games, so the suspension will stand

Fair enough. Didn't know that. Doesn't seem right that goals won't count but cards will (unless violent conduct, which would be fair enough.)
  • Options
    When was the last actual abandoned match at the Valley?
  • Options
    I have been going for 45 years and I cannot remember one?
  • Options
    Funny how it was abandoned after HT (no refunds), yet also after all the beer and pies had been served up and the fans were ready for the second half !
  • Options

Funny how it was abandoned after HT (no refunds), yet also after all the beer and pies had been served up and the fans were ready for the second half !

Have heard it all now.

TJ may think he's Gods gift, but I doubt even he thinks he's God himself!

• Options
    With the game called off at half time means no refund for pay on the day fans and any other fan who brought a match ticket for this match.Also food and drink had at half time makes Charlton less loss.Had game been stopped 18 minutes before half time could have been refund required.
    Have to feel sorry for ALL fans who attended todays game.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Against Southampton. 19th January 1963 in the winter to end all winters. Abandoned after 57 minutes due to snow with us leading 1-0. So, on that basis, we're looking at a once-every-half-century event.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Against Southampton. 19th January 1963 in the winter to end all winters. Abandoned after 57 minutes due to snow with us leading 1-0. So, on that basis, we're looking at a once-every-half-century event.

"Embarrassing", apparently.
  • Options
    The rain wasn't that bad at Dartford game to be fair
  • Options
    Someone said to me that the last match abandoned at the Valley was in the 60's against West Ham due to snow. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options

There are many more conspiracy theories than actual conspiracies. However, its hard not to be a bit cynical.

The sequence of events this afternoon is hard to understand, 1) the referee suspends the game with the rain pouring down and the pitch deteriorating quickly, 2) it continues to rain heavily whilst the ground staff (and Doncaster players) work to clear water from the pitch, 3) the rain abates and the game restarts (very much to my surprise), 4) they get to half time without incident. The pitch is a problem, but it's not dangerous, 5) the half time interval starts with no indication the game won't continue, 6) the ground staff casually fork the pitch, but make no attempt whatsoever to clear excess water, 7) the half time break is nearing its end when the Doncaster players come back on to the pitch, 8) the first sign that the game isn't going to restart, as expected, is when the players go to the wrong end of the pitch to thank their fans, 8) Charlton's players do the same thing and an announcement is eventually made.

Not very impressed. Still, every cloud had a silver lining. We got out of Jail for the second week in succession. If you can't be good, be lucky.

• Options
    Croydon said:

We play in a valley, as you know. Its always going to have bigger puddles than other clubs.

• Options

There are many more conspiracy theories than actual conspiracies. However, its hard not to be a bit cynical.

The sequence of events this afternoon is hard to understand, 1) the referee suspends the game with the rain pouring down and the pitch deteriorating quickly, 2) it continues to rain heavily whilst the ground staff (and Doncaster players) work to clear water from the pitch, 3) the rain abates and the game restarts (very much to my surprise), 4) they get to half time without incident. The pitch is a problem, but it's not dangerous, 5) the half time interval starts with no indication the game won't continue, 6) the ground staff casually fork the pitch, but make no attempt whatsoever to clear excess water, 7) the half time break is nearing its end when the Doncaster players come back on to the pitch, 8) the first sign that the game isn't going to restart, as expected, is when the players go to the wrong end of the pitch to thank their fans, 8) Charlton's players do the same thing and an announcement is eventually made.

Not very impressed. Still, every cloud had a silver lining. We got out of Jail for the second week in succession. If you can't be good, be lucky.

No way game would have been abandoned if we were 3-1 up. Big difference between an unpleasant pitch and an unplayable one - not as if high balls were stopping stone dead.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Off_it said:

Croydon said:

Just my opinion. Plenty of lower league grounds coped with the same amount of rain, the pitch is in need of investment that's all I'm getting at

Lack of investment or lack of preparation?
  • Options

Croydon said:

Off_it said:

Croydon said:

Lack of investment or lack of preparation?
    Or maybe not the same amount of rain?
  • Options
    That famous SE7 microclimate
  • Options

That famous SE7 microclimate

No, you're right. It's a well known fact that EXACTLY the same amount of rain falls daily across the whole of London.