Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The game (45 mins) today?

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
Was the pitch really to blame for our awful start? Or are the players to blame? Someone help?

The ssp said that we were attacking well, however are defending was awful?

Comments

• Options
    First goal we could only blame ourselves, shocking defending from Wiggins never challenged their right mid and then keegan had a free header in the box second two goals no chance of going in if pitch was not waterlogged
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Doncaster were playing on the same pitch but seemed to have coped with it better. We was awful.
  • Options
    Left side of defence was questionable but that was also the worst area of the pitch, plus our goalmouth. First goal was a good header. Second I need to see again, third an unlucky deflection.

Compared to the performance against boro I thought it was infinitely better. We would probably have gone on to got a draw or win but there was no telling if another freak incident might have completely ruined the outcome.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Doncaster were playing on the same pitch but seemed to have coped with it better. We was awful.

This isn't really accurate, the Covered End end, was worse than the Jimmy Seed end.

• Options
    seth plum said:

DiscoCAFC said:

This isn't really accurate, the Covered End end, was worse than the Jimmy Seed end.

Exactly... same with the side of the pitch down by the East Stand
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed the (half) match.
  • Options
    Indeed the north stand was far worse than the south stand end. Turnbull pulled off three stunning saves one a full on volley from Pritchard. The attackers followed in by the midfield when the ball is slowed by mud and water will have an advantage over a back 4 only, nothing behind them to cover or support. I still believe we would have won this game
  • Options
    I thought,even taking into account the pitch, our defending was absolutely dreadful. Wiggins, Cort, Morrison awful. Going forward we looked ok but if you can't defend you are always giving yourself a mountain to climb. There seems a feeling of apathy amongst some of the players, which might be down to the contract situation, but that is no excuse. Church and Cousins for me were the standout players, but that is not saying much.
  • Options
    As soon as the ball stopped in our box at 1-0 then the ref should have stopped play and tried to sort the area. Our lot were still going mental and they took advantage and banged in the second goal.

All this said, our defence was Keystone Copesque and we seriously need something to zap the team out of the malaise that they are currently showing. New faces are needed and I think some painful decisions will be made in the next 10 days.
  • Options
    Terrible at the back. Morrison looks a shadow of his former self and this has affected the others.

Going forward we looked decent. Gower and Cousins were prominent and Kermorgant was a handful. Harriott looked threatening. I think we had at leas half a dozen decent chances.

Need l get the defence sorted though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought our attack looked better today and we were also better in midfield. Definitely not a good day for our defence. Some of it was conditions but there seems to be no communication. The radio on the way home was saying "we'll have to see what happens with the Charlton game" but surely it will be replayed?
    After we got one back I felt we could have gone on to get a point. Was worried Hamer was going to get booked with him ranting at the lino and ref. I think we need a different option to Morro as back up captain. Thought Cousins, Harriot, Church, Kermo and Gower all played well. Pritch was largely edged out apart from a shot that brought a good save from their keeper. But even though we let in 3 I thought we were better than against Boro. And I felt we were likely to score more.
    Feel sorry for the Donny fans - a long way to come to see your team go 3-0 up then see it abandoned.
  • Options
    Just saw the goals on sky sports news. Doesn't look like the rain was the reason for any of their goals just poor defending, although you didn't see too much of the build up. For our goal the rain seemed to stop the ball in a perfect place for Church to bury it.
    As the match went on it was clearly worse with the ball not moving at all and definitely correct to stop the match.
  • Options
    Very impressed by Cousins. He looked the part today.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Won't just the Covered end part though!
  • Options
    Anyway.
    When the decision was made to re-start, during the whole of the waiting period I did not see any football produced to try out any of the pitch conditions anywhere on the ground.
    How did the referee decide to re-start without testing the behaviour of the ball?
  • Options
    Wiggins was terrible today, the pitch was the worst down our left side but that's no excuse for not following the player from the throw which led to their first goal.

Morrison looks very low on confidence, Solly only started to cross the halfway line when we were 3 down and Pritchards first touch today was woeful.

Another goal for Church which will be good for his confidence...
  • Options

First goal we could only blame ourselves, shocking defending from Wiggins never challenged their right mid and then keegan had a free header in the box second two goals no chance of going in if pitch was not waterlogged

Thought Morrison was too busy arguing with Lino though should have covered
  • Options
    Their second one was down to the pitch, first was crap defending and the third a bit unlucky. Also, their keeper made some good saves. That said, Doncaster were far better than us, could pass the ball around. We just lumped it
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Anyway.
    When the decision was made to re-start, during the whole of the waiting period I did not see any football produced to try out any of the pitch conditions anywhere on the ground.
    How did the referee decide to re-start without testing the behaviour of the ball?

Yes, that was odd. Bouncing the ball is surely one of the main tests you use.
  • Options

Thought Morrison was too busy arguing with Lino though should have covered

Morrison was arguing with Wiggins and the Lino long after the decision... Its moments like that when he needs to remember he's captain and get on with the match
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could say that todays game of football was certainly a half of two halves.
  • Options
    First goal Wiggins played "after you Claude" and made no attempt to challenge. The cross came in with Morrison and Cort nowhere to be seen and poor little Solly was comprehensively outjumped as Keegan powered a header into the top corner giving Hamer little chance.

The second goal Hamer tried to gather and Morrison kicked it almost out of his hands to a Doncaster player and they scored as a direct result.

The third goal was pinball which hit the Doncaster player (Brown) in the face and flew into the net.

In my view the third goal was one of those things that happens from time to time for any team but the first two were down to poor defending.

• Options
    A really poor performance defensively and we simply cannot continue to give away such cheap goals. Morrison and Wiggins were both exceptionally weak and, whilst I think the manager will persevere with them for now, any more performances like that and they will both have to come out of the side.

Harriott and ( especially ) Cousins were good and we fashioned a few decent positions, although Donny were by far more impressive and imaginative team overall.

We were very lucky to get out of jail. Let's hope that, by the time the game is replayed, we'll have got ourselves together and some of the air will have come out of their tyres.
  • Options
    Defending as usual was like watching the keystone cops.....Donny just passed the ball something we cant do...anyone blaming the pitch for being 3-0 down needs their head examined. The pitch was the same for both teams.

Biggest "get of jail free card" ever i have seen given.

God knows what the score will be next week when Leicester create havoc.
  • Options

Defending as usual was like watching the keystone cops.....Donny just passed the ball something we cant do...anyone blaming the pitch for being 3-0 down needs their head examined. The pitch was the same for both teams.

The defending wasn't good, but it's not true that the pitch was the same for both sides in that half, as the worse parts of it were down the end we were defending.
  • Options
    Morro watched as Robinson sneaked behind Wiggins to take the throw and set up the first goal. Why didn't he either cover or at least tell Wiggins? Wiggins failed to look around to see who was behind so both bear responsibility for the goal.

Morro has a habit of playing a short ball to Wiggins even when Wiggins is marked and facing our goal which results in panic all round. The attack performed with credit and Cousins in the midfield was energetic (but so right-footed!!!) but our defence do not communicate at all. Robinson pulled us apart and he is nothing special.

Like Seth I couldn't work out why the ref waited until the end of half-time to abandon the game. He should have been on the pitch and visible to the crowd, making an inspection during the break. I found it bizarre that the announcement seemed to come from 'crowd control' or some such. It seemed to me that BDL only learnt of the decision from the crowd control announcement. Perhaps with the score at 3-1 to Donny but they being down to 10, both managers were content to accept a new start later in the year.
  • Options
    First goal Wiggins switched off and forgot that you can't be offside from a throw. Pitch not to blame. Second, the whole defence stopped thinking he was offside. Irrespective of whether he was or not you pay to the whistle. Pitch not to blame. They should have scored another but ball stopped in a puddle. Pitch to blame, to our advantage. Can't remember the third.

Thought we were ok going fwd and Turnball made a couple of decent saves. Defensively we were dire. Ultimately it was the right decision to abandon the game although the ref seemingly called it off after a twent minute half time without really looking again at the pitch. Thought too that our efforts to improve it were inadequate.
  • Options

The defending wasn't good, but it's not true that the pitch was the same for both sides in that half, as the worse parts of it were down the end we were defending.
    Right so they had some sort of super boots that just ignored the water when it was down our end...didnt realise water was so biased.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It was harder to defend on - not rocket science and the reason the game would have been abandoned without tests was that Dickov agreed - he clearly didn't fancy it -or he would have complained more -and we were actually in with a decent chance of a win! On paper it looks like we got away with it.

I think the performance was better today - you have to make an allowance for the pitch I'm afraid.
  • Options
    so, after 4 games we have not scored first in any of them and in 2 of those games we've leaked goals like a sinking ship.

If anything has got to change it is our continuing lack of urgency.