Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East Turnstiles

Apologies if this has already been raised but why were there so few turnstiles open today resulting in longish queues in the pouring rain. Appreciate that we have no dosh but have we now sacked match day turnstile operatives?

Also noticed only one ball boy on east touch line or do I need a trip to Specsavers. With the present cost cutting VFR will soon resemble the Marie Celeste!!

Comments

• Options
    Ball boys don't get paid
  • Options
    Yeah I appreciate that but it appears to be endemic of top down malaise at VFR :-(
  • Options
    the East Stand turnstiles are getting worse season by season. There must be about 6 available but usually only 2 or 3 are open - today I think it was down to just 2. Also, towards the end of last season the "match no" sign didn't change for about 3 or 4 games , leading to even more confusion.

this club is a joke.
  • Options
    To be fair the East stand was only a 3rd full so 2 gates should be plenty.
  • Options
    Glad to see you've cheered up Golfie.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

To be fair the East stand was only a 3rd full so 2 gates should be plenty.

HAve to agree poor crowd why pay more people

• Options
    As soon as the queues formed at about ten to three they opened four more turnstiles.
  • Options

the East Stand turnstiles are getting worse season by season. There must be about 6 available but usually only 2 or 3 are open - today I think it was down to just 2. Also, towards the end of last season the "match no" sign didn't change for about 3 or 4 games , leading to even more confusion.

i am a joke.

True

• Options

As soon as the queues formed at about ten to three they opened four more turnstiles.

Be interested to know what those four people were doing before that.
  • Options

Be interested to know what those four people were doing before that.
    Warming up on the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the east stand they had 2 bar security staff what a waste of money
  • Options
    There are ten turnstiles for the East in Harvey Gardens, at 2.45 there were only four open but they were just about coping. If they opened another four at ten to, then presumably they got it about right. Let's face it, it was never going to be a big gate was it?
  • Options
    But in the swing if things when you are allegedly losing £7m a year why pi55 off your paying customers who are getting soaked in the pouring rain and saving say £50 (a complete guess) in overheads?? Didn't strike me as good business.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JonnyK said:

But in the swing if things when you are allegedly losing £7m a year why pi55 off your paying customers who are getting soaked in the pouring rain and saving say £50 (a complete guess) in overheads?? Didn't strike me as good business.

Since the club doesn't take cash in the turnstiles and there is therefore no need for them to cash up after kick-off it uses people who double as stewards to operate the turnstiles. So there is no extra cost. They can then go on to other duties during the match and the club has reasonable flexibility in terms of opening up turnstiles, although you may get build-up of queues while they respond to unanticipated peak demand.

Only certain staff can be used, however, because for example all the gates and access points have to be stewarded from the time the stand is opened in order to comply with the safety certificate. Each turnstile block has a supervisor to report back to the control room, the CCTV monitors the queues and if they build up unexpectedly a response will be arranged.

If people were queuing for more than five to ten minutes and/or missed the kick-off then the club has got it wrong, and that may well happen from time to time, but If it's just that people object to any queue then I don't really think that's reasonable.
  • Options
    It didn't bother me as I took my umbrella. It was a poor crowd though just 13,000. But then I think ticket prices have a part to play. The north upper is always full now because its the lowest priced area of the ground. Yet the north lower is £30 at Millwall. It doesn't make sense. £30 is to expensive to watch out team play. Given our home form as well. The club also need to pull there finger out and sort out the online ticket booking service. It was much better when you could chose your seat. Now you can only book a ticket in the block and just hope for a decent seat. I asked the club when this would be sorted out and they said 2 weeks. That was 2 months ago. I am really starting to see the club going a little down hill. Its sad to see.

I thought powells comments "the season starts here" after a 2-2 draw with Barnsley were a little naïve. No Offence but Barnsley are the worst side I have seen. They are dreadful..
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

It didn't bother me as I took my umbrella. It was a poor crowd though just 13,000. But then I think ticket prices have a part to play. The north upper is always full now because its the lowest priced area of the ground. Yet the north lower is £30 at Millwall. It doesn't make sense. £30 is to expensive to watch out team play. Given our home form as well. The club also need to pull there finger out and sort out the online ticket booking service. It was much better when you could chose your seat. Now you can only book a ticket in the block and just hope for a decent seat. I asked the club when this would be sorted out and they said 2 weeks. That was 2 months ago. I am really starting to see the club going a little down hill. Its sad to see.

I thought powells comments "the season starts here" after a 2-2 draw with Barnsley were a little naïve. No Offence but Barnsley are the worst side I have seen. They are dreadful..

The dearest ticket yesterday was £26, while other tickets were available at £24. There were lots of empty seats in the north upper, especially around M & N blocks.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    £20 was the price yesterday for North Upper, and yes lots of empty seats.
  • Options
    One day Mr GolfAddick may some something positive about this club instead of complaining all the bloody time.
  • Options
    Well now we have a striker scoring goals he is getting all confused.