Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Return to the Valley 1992 Portsmouth Programme

How much would you pay for this assuming you don't have one?

Friend of mine has found a giant collection of classic programes thinking of selling up if it would be of any worth.

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:

How much would you pay for this assuming you don't have one?

Friend of mine has found a giant collection of classic programes thinking of selling up if it would be of any worth.

No more than a quid, plenty of them around.
  • Options
    Have got my name printed in that - twice.
  • Options
    What is meant by "classic"?

Pre-60s might be worth £4+ Most later programmes are worth £1 to £1.50. Big game programmes tend to be very common so not very pricey.
  • Options
    3,000,000,000 zimbabwean dollars
  • Options
    Not so much then didn't know they were common.
  • Options
    8,000 people attended that game, I bet not many of them went home without a souvenir program.
  • Options
    I was the 4th match official at that game so I kept my programme. Interestingly. one of the linesman (not assistant refs in those days) was a thalidomide person with short arms and had the lineman's flags strapped to his arms for retention. He (Richard) was a local lad. The game is so professional these days that I doubt that the FA would allow somebody with similar disabilities to join the ranks of match officials.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    PeterGage said:

I was the 4th match official at that game so I kept my programme. Interestingly. one of the linesman (not assistant refs in those days) was a thalidomide person with short arms and had the lineman's flags strapped to his arms for retention. He (Richard) was a local lad. The game is so professional these days that I doubt that the FA would allow somebody with similar disabilities to join the ranks of match officials.

Richard Saunders? I knew Richard who had many remarkable and varied talents for someone living with disability. He taught me amongst others how to abseil which I found remarkable but as a teenage lad I had every confidence in his professionalism and ability. A real inspiration and as you say a local who gave so much to others and proved what can be achieved with the right attitude. He no doubt would be better at his job as a linesman as many of today's and I'm sure he would have the drive and determination to prove the FA wrong if they attempted to suggest otherwise!
  • Options
    Yes, Richard Saunders. I did not have my programme to hand when I penned my first scribe above. He was a very good referee at local level and I haven't seen Richard since the Portsmouth day.
  • Options
    Re Programme Value.What price could the one from Saturday v Doncaster be worth in years to come? as it may have been the only game to be abandon during the game,I stand corrected if wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:

Re Programme Value.What price could the one from Saturday v Doncaster be worth in years to come? as it may have been the only game to be abandon during the game,I stand corrected if wrong.

Aren't all abandoned games abandoned during the game? If not, they're just postponed, aren't they?
  • Options
    You're a real smart ass Big Man ;-))) But you are spot on as always!
  • Options
    Programmes nowadays are not so expensive. As clubs have a good idea on expected gates due to advance sales, and particularly in the premier league games being virtual sell-outs, then it is easier to know how many to print. In the good old days of terraces and non all-ticket games clubs found it harder to gauge attendances thus a lot of games being sold out of programmes.
    Apart from all that, Charlton programmes have never been rare and commanded a lot price wise.
    I wonder how much the Exeter 1921 is going for though!
  • Options

Programmes nowadays are not so expensive. As clubs have a good idea on expected gates due to advance sales, and particularly in the premier league games being virtual sell-outs, then it is easier to know how many to print. In the good old days of terraces and non all-ticket games clubs found it harder to gauge attendances thus a lot of games being sold out of programmes.
    Apart from all that, Charlton programmes have never been rare and commanded a lot price wise.

I've been looking for the Exeter programme for years. Never seen one come up, very,very rare.
  • Options
    Did they have them back then? Anyone got any other progs from 1921? I'll bet they were nothing more than team sheets with a couple of adverts added on.
  • Options
    If I'd waited a bit longer I wouldn't have had to ask the question. There's a reproduction of the front cover and centre pages of the Exeter programme in David Ramzan's new book.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I've been looking for the Exeter programme for years. Never seen one come up, very,very rare.
    Got a copy about a month ago. All legible, but split in half from the fold in the middle. Cost me more than my season ticket

• Options
    edited August 2013
    BTTV programme, my little sh*t of brother cut mine up to stick the pictures on a wall collage. I'm still mad about it!!!
  • Options

BTTV programme, my little sh*t of brother cut mine up to stick the pictures on a wall collage. I'm still mad about it!!!

This explains a lot. Childhood trauma often leads to strange behaviour in later life.

I think we should have a whip round to buy AFKA a new BTTV programme.

Obviously this is a deep rooted issue for him and I think we can all help him to move on and lead something like a normal life.

: - )

• Options

PopIcon said:

Got a copy about a month ago. All legible, but split in half from the fold in the middle. Cost me more than my season ticket

Nice one, very jealous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PopIcon said:

Nice one. If you fancied knocking out some colour copies I'm sure there'd be a maker for them at something like a couple of quid a go. I'd have one.
  • Options
    Where did you get it from?
  • Options

Where did you get it from?

ebay

• Options
    Was that the first game ever at the Valley ?

Have you seen the fixtures for that season; you played each team home and away in succession - odd
  • Options
    I see - it was first professional game - took some time from 1905 to get up and running didn't it !