Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Wright Goalkeeper 1932-1934

I hope that this post will be read or passed on to people with a specific interest in compiling and maintaining the history of your club.

The post is to let you know that a 2,500 word article on former Charlton goalkeeper, Alex Wright, has been published in the Summer 2013 edition of the quarterly Scottish Football Historian publication.

The article is titled “Sanny Wright – from the Meadow to the Valley”. “Sanny” is one of many Scottish diminutives for “Alexander” and the name he was known by at home. “Meadow” is a reference to “Irvine Meadow XI” the Scottish Junior (non-league) club he played for before joining Charlton.

Alex Wright died in 1934 following a non-playing accident while a Charlton player. The article covers his early playing career in Scotland, his time at the Valley and the tragic circumstances surrounding his death.

This article may have been picked up already but I just want to make sure you are aware of it. It may contain some new information to add to your history. Of course, I would be interested if anyone had anything to add, correct, etc. to the contents article.

Good luck in the new season.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for alerting us.

Do you have a link or an address to get a copy of the article?
  • Options
    Couldn't see it was available when I looked earlier. Last edition was Spring 2013.

http://www.pmfc.co.uk/sfhindex.php
  • Options
    Yes that is the right link. The "latest edition" information has not yet been updated for the Summer 2013 edition that came out a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Thanks bluedragon. I'll be reading this article with particular interest.
  • Options
    Thanks bluedragon - I studied Alex's story quite a lot a couple of years ago and found a lot of press cuttings from the time - I remember being struck by one which said he died ten minutes after his mother and daughter arrived at the hospital in Torquay and that 15,000 people lined the route of his funeral in Kilmarnock. A very sad tale. I look forward to seeing the article
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments amazing to hear from an "Alex Wright"!
    Mattaddick - it sounds as if we have looked at some of the same sources as I also uncovered your two points and included in the article. It is a very sad tale. A friend managed to locate the family gravestone in Kilmarnock. On the brighter side I uncovered a story from his early days in Scotland that suggests that he was a bit of a character!
  • Options
    Did this OP article ever surface?

I arrived at this page having read part of Steve Tongue's Turf Wars that said Sam Bartram was brought to the club following this tragedy of which I had never previously heard.

Charlton had defeated Torquay United 1-2 at Plainmoor. From press cuttings it seems that Wright was instrumental in the victory with a series of brilliant saves. The team were due to travel back to London that night, but decided in a late call to travel the next day instead. This gave the players a chance to swim at Torre Abbey Sands where Wright misjudged the depth of the water when diving from a raft.

Press cuttings here: http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/5234/death-alex-wright-1934

From Steve Tongue’s Turf Wars: (paraphrased)

Jimmy Seed brought Sam Bartram to the club following the Alex Wright tragedy, after following up on his brother’s recommendation. Sam finally accepted he was a goalkeeper after failing a trial at Reading as a wing half. Sam began a four week trial by conceding 10 goals in the reserve team during his first two games. Seed told him there’s much work to be done. Bartram took the first team shirt in January 1935 and kept the position for the next 20 years.

It is said that Bartram's outfield skills aided his goalkeeping, and his style was ahead of the time. He would come out of the penalty area to head and pass the ball, he would even take throw ins.

• Options

Thanks for posting @Raith_C_Chattonell
  • Options
    We have the board minutes in the museum where the directors debate paying the family's traveling cost. The next paragraph says we've signed a Samuel Bartram.