Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What makes a CAFC legend?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    The mark of a legend is not what the people that saw them make of them, but what do subsequent generations know of them and think about them. For me, I'd say the club's legends are Bartram, Duffy, Leary, Firmani, Jeppson; I never saw any of them but I know about them. For later generations it's Hales, Flanagan, Powell Co, Peacock and later still Kinsella, Mendonca, Rufus, Powell Ch, perhaps Bent and Costa and if he hadn't spoiled things, Parker.

Sadly, I don't think any player in the last 5-6 years comes close to the players listed above. I truly hope that this current team does well, but in my heart of hearts I think that if I end up at sometime in the future telling my grand-kids about any of them it will be a sorry state of affairs.
  • Options
    Ooops, I left Powell out of my list!
  • Options
    Scoring the winner against the Palarse!
  • Options
    Any one saying that bwp is one should be shout lol
  • Options
    Bryan Hughes.
  • Options
    Derek Hales
    Keith Peacock
    Colin Powell
    Steve Gritt
    Simon Webster
    Mark Kinsella
    John Robinson
    Scott Parker

Lenny Lawrence
    Alun Curbishley

Little mention of keepers which is surprising

Graham Tutt has to be there even though his was sadly shortened at Sunderland
  • Options
    What about those like Bob Bolder, John Humphreys, Colin Walsh etc who will be playing at Badgers Sports Ground this Sunday ( ko 2pm ) in a charity match with family and kids entertainment, live music, raffles and auctions etc. £10 adults kids free?
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Derek Hales
    Keith Peacock
    Colin Powell
    Steve Gritt
    Simon Webster
    Mark Kinsella
    John Robinson
    Scott Parker

Lenny Lawrence
    Alun Curbishley

Who is this Welsh Curbs you talk of?

• Options

Vincent said:

Derek Hales
    Keith Peacock
    Colin Powell
    Steve Gritt
    Simon Webster
    Mark Kinsella
    John Robinson
    Scott Parker

Lenny Lawrence
    Alun Curbishley

Who is this Welsh Curbs you talk of?

Haha well spotted
  • Options

A combination of one or more of; a long of career at Charlton, achievement at Charlton and a certain x factor.

Simonsen was a wonderful footballer who played for us but that does not make him, in my opinion, a Charlton legend. Mendonca elevated himself from a good striker to a legend in one day at Wembley.

Yann can become a legend, he already has bit of x factor to him. To acquire legendary status he needs to play well for a few more seasons yet or have a major achievement with the club (a third tier title is an achievement but not a major one). He has made a start, and if he needs inspiration, he need look no further than his manager who is legend despite a past indiscretion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 words...

Carl Leaburn
  • Options
    Someone that changes our position for the better.
  • Options
    Being a legend at Charlton doesn't mean you're necessarily a good player, as fans who've seen Leaburn will tell you. They also must posses the ability to be loved by us even after they've left the club.

Kiely
    Solly, Rufus, Brown, Powell
    Robinson, Kinsella, Stuart, Mortimer
    Leaburn, Mendonca

My legends XI
  • Options
    With Hermanator, Matty Holland and Bent just missing out.
  • Options

Being a legend at Charlton doesn't mean you're necessarily a good player, as fans who've seen Leaburn will tell you. They also must posses the ability to be loved by us even after they've left the club.

Kiely
    Solly, Rufus, Brown, Powell
    Robinson, Kinsella, Stuart, Mortimer
    Leaburn, Mendonca

My legends XI

Isn't that a cult hero?
  • Options
    You're probably right but I'd still regard them players as legends
  • Options
    Is there anyone that nobody disagrees is a legend? Say, Bartram, Hales and Peacock?
  • Options
    As many have said it's very much a personal thing. I would only add as others have mentioned that we shouldn't forget the managers which brings in lenny and curbs as well as jimmy seed.