Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club looking for matchday volunteers

Comments

• Options

Good article, but does the NMW have to be paid in cash ?

Yes it does.

And a lot of fuss about six people? Wait until they come back and say the scheme has proved so successful they're seeking another six volunteers. And then another dozen... And then, by pure coincidence of course, notice how paid match-day staff find their hours and shifts getting cut-back...

Personally I think it's crazy that a club that employs footballers, each and every one of whom are paid several thousand pounds a week and who are probably all millionaires and yet has to ask for free volunteer labour because they are skint.

• Options

Yes it does.

And a lot of fuss about six people? Wait until they come back and say the scheme has proved so successful they're seeking another six volunteers. And then another dozen... And then, by pure coincidence of course, notice how paid match-day staff find their hours and shifts getting cut-back...

Personally I think it's crazy that a club that employs footballers, each and every one of whom are paid several thousand pounds a week and who are probably all millionaires and yet has to ask for free volunteer labour because they are skint.

Any evidence of that's the reason they are doin it?

Could it be that club are giving the chance to fans to be able to help out, earn themselves a ticket and get onto the pitch, behind the scenes etc.

So much over reaction at any action or words from players/staff lately.

Yes it does.

Well when/IF that happens, you make as much fuss as you like.
  • Options
    Fuck me.

Rise up brothers. Rise up against your oppressors. Band together, fight the good fight. Lets raise our banner high and proud, as we march along behind our brass band into oblivion.

If HMRC haven't got better things to do than chase cafc over six people choosing to give two hours of their time for free once a fortnight then we may as well give up now.
  • Options
    I must be going mad if I think this is a good idea time for bed me thinks
  • Options
    IA, you really are becoming a WUM
    Volunteering is good for you in so many ways - you should try it - it may relieve your dreadful unionised chip-on-your-shoulder misery. I agree with you though, that volunteering is just a couple of steps away from rowing across the Atlantic in a slave boat.

Though volunteering can even help you live longer.
    http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/1308/130826-volunteering.html
    Try it - live laugh and be happy.

Rubbish link
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/volunteer_opportunities_benefits_volunteering.htm
  • Options
    Some people who oppose the idea of ever doing something for nothing - firstly your very sad and secondly in this case it is definitely not for nothing.
    Would you stop people who run supporters clubs acting for nothing?
    There are some people with such big chips on their on their shoulders
  • Options

Yes it does.

If it works out then of course the club will repeat it!

I fully understand the principles that you and others are citing but let us remember one thing... CAFC is losing £7M a year and has a lot of empty seats for every game apart from that one game a year when they charge a fiver... six people won't make much of a dent but if they can recruit casual labour in exchange for a ticket and improve revenue and cut other costs then all the more chance that the club keeps going... and if the people doing the work get a buzz, a free ticket and learn some skills / network with some people then it is a massive win win.

Isn't that what a club is all about - for the people, by the people and all that?

• Options
    I'd be all for that, but the Mysterons have road roughshod all over "for the people by the people" in a Charlton context. They make their bed, they can lie in it.
  • Options
    My nephew Conor was one of the volunteers who helped out putting a bit of paint on areas in the summer. Mick has emailed about this new volunteering chance and Conor thinks it's a great idea.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to try and hire staff for 2 hours every other week. Think about it for a second and you'll realise that this is a great way for the club to get some very necessary work done and for some dedicated fans to effectively get a season ticket. Fantastic for fans who may have had to stop going for monetary reasons.

This is also a little different to the Portsmouth scheme in Rick's link. No one is taking people from a local labour exchange and telling them they'll lose their benefits if they don't do it.

I agree that unpaid internships are wrong, as are zero hour contracts, but that's not what this is about. The club have been upfront about what's on offer and no one is being forced to do it.

If you can't see that this is good for both sides, then you really need to take your blinkers off.
  • Options
    Tel, first job for Conor, fix the hole in the roof.

I think the duties will be searching for VOTV, the ten minutes after the game is to reenact Fahrenheit 451.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If i still lived in charlton and could make the times i would sign up in a shot its a great idea. Didnt hear anyone moaning when the summer clean up takes place i wouldnt care if we had 100 of them on a match day at least they would be addicks or have a passion for football and not be either students or people who wouldnt know what a football is.
  • Options
    So, just to turn this on its head, the HMRC are discussing businesses' and individuals' private tax affairs with a national newspaper? Isn't that in breach of all sorts of different pieces of legislation and something that the football clubs concerned should, in the first instance, report to the Information Commissioner's Office regarding the HMRC's data protection breaches?

• Options

Off_it said:

Clearly there are not many trade union members among the CL massive.

What the hell is a professional business doing recruiting free labour? If there is work to be done, employ paid stewards and pay them the union-negotiated rate.

Whre does it end?

Perhaps there are a few decent Sunday morning footballers who could volunteer to play on Saturday afternoons for nothing? Didn't we recruit the likes of Paul Williams and Paul Gorman from amateur football - good signings and perhaps the only mistake we made was paying them a pro salary...

And there are plenty on here who reckon they can do a better job than Powell. Perhaps we could have a volunteer manager, too? I've always admired Scoham's tactical analysis and I reckon he'd do a good job.

Henry Irving would make a fine honorary chief executive and I will volunteer to take on Prothero's job free of charge as it apparently only takes up one day a week.

Perhaps Airman Brown could be persuaded to abandon VOTV and edit the match-day programme instead for free?

This is not jjust a bad idea but a dangerous one that undermines basic employment rights. That clearly doesn't worry Cameron/Osborne acolytes, like Slater and Jiminez. But it worries the hell out of me.

I take it this is a wind up post surely you dont mean this
    Of course he does!
    First time you've been right in a long time, comrade.

All of these free labour schemes, internships etc. are utterly wrong and are opposed by the TUC. You want to work for free, go and volunteer in the local Oxfam shop.

You should be supporting Dinamo Moscow mate.
  • Options
    Red Army!!!
  • Options
    And people say CL isn't as fun as it used to be

: - )
  • Options

And people say CL isn't as fun as it used to be

: - )

Who's saying it used to be fun ?
    ;-)

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I'd be all for that, but the Mysterons have road roughshod all over "for the people by the people" in a Charlton context. They make their bed, they can lie in it.

You really think that TJ to MS have anything, anything whatsoever, to do with this?
  • Options

I think its a great idea and would take part if I lived closer to the Valley. I did 13 days voluntary work at Glastonbury this summer and had the time of my lfe ! Am heading off to Croatia tomorrow morning for 3 more weeks of the same.
  • Options
    Unbelievable thread.....IA, you must be on a wind up
  • Options
    Free The Valley Six.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I volunteered to do that leaflet-on-the-seats thing at the end of the promotion season. I now realise I was being exploited.

The free food, drink and T-shirt were crap and the club should have taken 30 people from the dole Q for 3 hours.

Internships ? Don't do it if you don't want to. Much the same for glue sniffing.
  • Options

keep the red flag flying here
  • Options
    Was that them folding up advert in the centre circle before kick off?
  • Options
    Well said IA.
    Exact reason why I refused to help clear the Valley pitch of trees and weeds etc. taking food out of the mouths of local gardening businesses that was, what with all those exploited non unionised prople being asked to help the club out. Don't even get me started on the health and safety aspect.
  • Options
    Hate the unions with a passion, me!
    ;-)
  • Options
    Brilliant mr one lung

We have used volunteers for as long as I can remember even in the good old days when we had plenty of pots to piddle in, cleaning seats before the first game etc etc

But let's not get in the way of yet another good old rant at the club

Id love to share a whisper IA sent me once about how great TJ and Jiminez are...

• Options
    Referring to the HMRC article is it any wonder this country is in such a mess.

Why can't people volunteer to do something that they love for free, nobody is forcing them or promising them something that they are not going to get.

What difference is it from me helping my son paint his house & not charging, I do it for love not money, this country is driven by greed I'm afraid.

Referring to why we might need the volunteers, well there's a new advertising "thing" in the centre circle for a start & perhaps more help is needed with the pitch after last weeks debacle.
  • Options
    There was a bit on Portsmouth on Soccer AM yesterday. Their receptionist is also their cleaner. When we are in that situation then I will worry.

This is just about getting fans involved with a nice reward at the end of it.
  • Options
    I'm obviously missing out here, Baileys next visit to the upbeats will be invoiced accordingly. ;)
  • Options
    Anyone know any of yesterdays volunteers ? Would be nice to hear what they did and whether they felt exploited.