Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

“I am getting on with the squad I’ve got”

2»

Comments

• IMO this squad is about the same as last year the difference is that there are too many players out of form. Solly is way below last year (still better than most mind), Wiggens looks lost, Morrison needs to be dropped he's a liability and don't get me started on Ben "it's all your fault not mine" Hamer. So the problem isn't really the players it's the form they are displaying. We need a decent win to get things going, pretty much like last season when we beat Bolton after being 2-0 down.

Agreed, in the Doncaster game going forward we looked pretty decent, passing the ball around reasonably and creating several chances. It was at the back where the problems were, with the same players that finished 9th last season.
  • edited August 2013

Getting the blend of youth and experience is the key along with instilling confidence. We still have the majority/core of the team that came 9th in this league last season, and with SCP one year wiser of the rigours and know how of Championship level football. What I am trying to say is...COME ON YOU RIP ROARING GOAL SCORING ADDICKS!!! I'll still be there cheering you on tomorrow come what may! I may have my head in my hands here and there, but that's why I love you - YOOOOOOUUU REEEEDDDDDSS

That's what I'm talking about!!! Pma superclivemendonca style!!!
  • Church is going to be a brilliant bit of business by the club. The squad isn't too bad just we have a lot of players under performing, let's hope that starts to change starting tomorrow.

I agree - he like Sordell, has had a rough season or so and needs the confidence of a few good games and a few goals under his belt. Plus they have a manager in CP who'll put some trust in him.

• Why would he walk? There's always the chance that Tweedle dee & tweedle dum manage to find someone with more money than sense before the window re-opens, giving him a bit of money to spend in jan. Although the flip side is that they replace him with their own man :-/
  • Let's face it, apart from the acquisitions he made prior to the L1 winning season (when he was getting backing from the Board) CP has always had to function in this mode at Charlton. Last year he did very well so that's encouraging. Roll on new owners with Chris at the helm. Then we'll be able to see what he can really do.
  • Surely, if CP is unhappy and doesn't want to walk 'he will' put his name in the frame for one of the many upcoming vacancies?
  • I wouldn't rule out Powell leaving if the right offer came along. Yes, he has an affinity with our club, but he is also an ambitious young manager.

If he did leave I would be surprised and disappointed if he felt the need to comment on the goings on at CAFC - I think he has more class than that.
  • edited August 2013
    We still need a back up keeper?

I don't know if Pope is ready, or whether we have much choice in terms of having him as our back up keeper.
  • Before the season started, when I was asked about us I told people that our defence is one of the best in the division. As has been said, too many of them have been below par this season - They are good players and when they do get into gear so will we.
  • WSS said:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130830-powell-confident-in-youth-options-1024160.aspx

“If there is no leeway for us to get players in for whatever reason then it will be us working with what we have got and trying to galvanise and introduce young players, we would see what we could get from them, and do our best to get results."

Pinch of salt.
    Right up there with " The club is not for sale"

• Sponsored links:

• Surely, if CP is unhappy and doesn't want to walk 'he will' put his name in the frame for one of the many upcoming vacancies?

That is what I fear.

That is what I fear.
    Then it won't look bad on CP or the board (no-one would want to stop him furthering his career). The club would even get some compensation for remainder of his contract I guess?

Everyone is happy, well, except the fans.

That is what I fear.
    Then it won't look bad on CP or the board (no-one would want to stop him furthering his career). The club would even get some compensation for remainder of his contract I guess?

Everyone is happy, well, except the fans.

Not much compensation on 10 months.

• Interesting - clearly a subtext there - not an especially upbeat-sounding Powelly.
    "for whatever reason" "working with what we have got" "trying to galvanise" "see what we could get" and "do our best" are all telling phrases which don't inspire me with huge confidence. I remain fully behind Powelly but I can't escape the feeling that he's not a particularly happy man at the moment.
  • I can see scenarios in which CP will leave, either of his own volition for another job or pushed, but I can't ever see him quitting in a fit of pique, he ain't like that.

Coming up to the time when speculation begins about the future of those managers who will be first for the chop. I wonder who?

• Wishful thinking time ..I would LOVE to see Nahki Wells in our squad .. the new deFoe
  • Of course he isn't happy. We look league one standard, outpaced and outgunned. He has been getting leftovers in the last two years transfer markets and no sign of anything getting better. Not suicidal about it (I enjoyed our L1 promo season, at least) but realistically Powell is universally respected and there are a lot of clubs would appreciate a manager who has his gravitas and intelligence.
  • edited August 2013

Wishful thinking time ..I would LOVE to see Nahki Wells in our squad .. the new deFoe

Doubt Parky is going to do us any favours !

But I agree, a player like that would be a massive boost.
  • There are many other clubs who would say of Powell 'if you don't want him, we'll have him'.
    Powell remains our one shining diamond of a person at our club. if he goes all we have left will be us, the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• CP will go some day and as always we the fans will be left. This isnt CP Athletic.

as for him being pissed off well think on this at ur place of work.

You have an idea and put it to the top boys-----------no answer
    You have a re-think and scale things down and send it to em again-----------still no answer
    So you scale it right the way back in the hope that you will get a response------they respond"your budget is 60% of last year, loose 4 players,get on with it".
    trying to engage the top boys you ask about the players contracts that are up for renewal as the players are asking you------there is no answer.

I think the above would piss most people off a tad.

• Of course he isn't happy. We look league one standard, outpaced and outgunned. He has been getting leftovers in the last two years transfer markets and no sign of anything getting better. Not suicidal about it (I enjoyed our L1 promo season, at least) but realistically Powell is universally respected and there are a lot of clubs would appreciate a manager who has his gravitas and intelligence.

Unfortunately if we get relegated this time there wont be a quick return.........in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up staying in League 1 for some time. We haven't got the funds to buy the best L1 players like we did 2 yrs ago & almost all our players would leave as they are out of contract.

As RM said in 2006 - its the worst year to get relegated !! ;)
  • CP will go some day and as always we the fans will be left. This isnt CP Athletic.

as for him being pissed off well think on this at ur place of work.

You have an idea and put it to the top boys-----------no answer
    You have a re-think and scale things down and send it to em again-----------still no answer
    So you scale it right the way back in the hope that you will get a response------they respond"your budget is 60% of last year, loose 4 players,get on with it".
    trying to engage the top boys you ask about the players contracts that are up for renewal as the players are asking you------there is no answer.

I think the above would piss most people off a tad.

Agree on both points.

Much as I want CP to stay he is not the Club.

Unfortunately if we get relegated this time there wont be a quick return.........in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up staying in League 1 for some time. We haven't got the funds to buy the best L1 players like we did 2 yrs ago & almost all our players would leave as they are out of contract.

As RM said in 2006 - its the worst year to get relegated !! ;)
    Sure. But I'll take my lead from His Excellency and try to be stoical about it.
  • why talk about relegation? win our game in hand and we are mid table! Not only is Chris Powell getting on with it but we put in a much better display than this time last year - good enough to bury the memories of the game vs Boro...

I think most fans would like to see the club push on from 9th place last season - I just hope that funds are made available later on in the season as and when additional players might be needed... I have always maintained that we have enough to get us to the international break but that injuries or loss of form in October/November will need addressing - I expect most games to have just one goal in them and obviously prefer that that's in our favour...

Contrary to the doom and gloom merchants I genuinely think that keeping the same squad and management together for what is now the third seson can only be a good thing
  • On today's performance I think CP has a squad that will play for each other and see us safe and possibly in the play-off places. Too many arrivals can disrupt a squad but I doubt that will be a problem for us this season!!
  • Shrew said:

WSS said:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130830-powell-confident-in-youth-options-1024160.aspx

“If there is no leeway for us to get players in for whatever reason then it will be us working with what we have got and trying to galvanise and introduce young players, we would see what we could get from them, and do our best to get results."

If Cp really motivates the squad especially the younger ones with a fighting mentality we could turn this round and get some good results this season.
    This comment makes me chuckle... The 'younger ones' already have the 'hunger' and the ability to play at this level... All they require is the opportunity to play
  • The point was that it would be easy for the negativity re lack of contracts to effect the whole squad , but this can be turned around with CP's passion for the club. Yes your right the younger ones do have the hunger but this is only effective if those around them have that too.
  • Apologies Shrew and you are spot on there and about others around them needing hunger too.
  • I didn't see any negativity among the squad out there yesterday, they all looked up for it and really played for the shirt