Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North Stand Bar

ScoSco
edited March 2007 in General Charlton
That one half way up the Stairs - anyone use it and what is the point in it if not?

I reckon that if they opened it up without having to pay that they'd take a lot more money over the course of a season than via members.

Comments

• Options
    is that not crossbars?? (i may be wrong here)
  • Options
    I don't know its name - just bowl past it every home match and see it mostly empty. Not prepared to pay for the privilege myself, but it would ease congestion on the foyer and "maximise revenue" for the club if they dropped the annual fee IMO.
  • Options
    It is called crossbars & it's no riff raff allowed + no smoking. Went up there the day it opened. Nice Carpets & nice view & thats about it.
  • Options
    Perhaps VHairy Henry can offer an opinion on this one.
  • Options
    I agree with Sco here. Went in there the day it opened and it's really smart but isn't it something like 2-300 quid for the season to go in there. If it was free you'd definitely get it full most weeks. As an example me and my lot (8 of us) go in either the horse and gloom or bartrams before a match. Say we all have on average 4 or 5 pints before a game at £ quid each, that's 120 quid between our group at every home game.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]Perhaps VHairy Henry can offer an opinion on this one.

Pardon,

half of it is a bar and normally where all the ex-players go with Bernard Wickham and you get John Robinson and Bob Bolder, John Humphrey doing the rounds so a change to meet. Also see alot of the staff in their including Ketman Snr The other half is a succesful resturant.

IMHO Nice enough, good take the kids and they do basic but good food (but not as good as the boardroom or the liberal club obviously)

It's a bit of a catch 22. People pay for the privalage of being able to get a pint fairly easily in pleasant surroundings near their seats. If it was open to all it would be rammed and takings would be up but you would lose income from fees.
    The other hurdle is health and safety and the limits on the the number of people allowed to use it at any one time.

The price did come down after originally opening but I'm not sure what it is now. Maybe in the ST application form.

PS if people want to try it I'll see if there are any spares for a game (donation to Demelza/Valley Flags expected of course) may not be possible and will only be a few, not dozens. As Ketman say, and it takes one to know one, have to keep the riff-raff out
  • Options
    Haven't they dropped the membership price next season to 100 pounds(i have no pound key, stupid Canadian keyboard). I still agree though that is still to much to pay. I to went in there when it first opened and also to those Former Player Dinners. Met Walshie a top man likes a bevvy.
  • Options
    OK - confession time - I'm a member. Moved seat this season from East to North Upper (much better) so decided to give it a go as the NU seat was so much cheaper. It costs £75 for the season if you are VG (another for the argument there...) or £100 if not. It's always pretty full before the game. After, it depends on the result, so it's tended to be pretty empty this year until recently! I will be renewing because it's become part of our routine now, and as Henry says, the ex-players wander around too. By the way, did I mention it's where McMoist and I met Paul Mortimer before the West Ham game? OK, I might have done...

(You can buy tickets for a one-off match for £8.)
  • Options
    Its £100, or £75 to Valley Golders (who are they ??)

Its a tricky one, the intention being that it increases revenue for the club. But does it do that ?

I have no idea of both how many people either pay the subscription or use it on a regular basis (i suspect there is quite a difference between the two), but what i do know is when it was introduced, some people dropped out of the West Stand corporate set / Addicks Business Club to take this cheaper option, so in that respect it would not of increased revenue.

Over the course of the season, it will work out around a fiver a game to have the privledge of getting a drink overlooking the pitch before and after a game. That's a bit much for me, but it would be something i would consider if it was £30-£40 for the season.
  • Options
    To be honest if they sold Guinness on the concourse I'd go into the ground and watch the live game before most games and give the club my money. Likewise I think a better choice of beer all round might encourage a few more to do this. maybe worth an experiment next season for a month or two?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone -they sell a very nice pint of Guinness in Crossbars!
  • Options
    Yes, i dined in Bartrams before the Boro match on my Birthday and very nice it is too. Sadly I normally drink with a group of 7 or 8 so a bit unfair to expect them to shell out.

The Valiants club at Selhurst was different gravy though. Shepherds Pie and beans and a few pints in relative comfort.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]To be honest if they sold Guinness on the concourse I'd go into the ground and watch the live game before most games and give the club my money. Likewise I think a better choice of beer all round might encourage a few more to do this. maybe worth an experiment next season for a month or two?

Guinness? Bleeding hell, it takes them long enough to pour a pint of lager!
  • Options
    You seen those 8 pint pourers? Eight spouts, eight glasses, one handle.......

Nah, too easy......
  • Options
    Had my wedding reception in there ;o) tried to take the carpet home but they wouldn't let me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]Had my wedding reception in there ;o) tried to take the carpet home but they wouldn't let me!

Nice one! I had my 40th birthday party in the Board Room - very special. (And we beat Liverpool 3-2 the next day - perfect present...)
  • Options
    lol Weegie! my wedding was on my 40th birthday!