Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swap of ends

Anyone notice that after the handshakes our players went towards the Jimmy Seed stand when they usually gotowards the Covered End. In the end we swapped ends before the game.

Is this going to be usual from now on our players will go towards the Jimmy Seed stand after the handshakes?

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps they're trying to make it feel more like an away game so as to increase our chances of winning.
  • Options
    Just changing the usual routine to help break with recent form, put Leicester off their stride a bit.
  • Options
    A few years ago Wolves were OK away but couldn't win at home for love or money. The manager came up with the idea of taking the players to a hotel on the Friday night, then having them driven on a magical mystery tour of the West Midlands on Saturday morning, ending up at Molyneux.

They still lost, so the manager brought in a witch-doctor to exorcise the home turf.

If - heaven forbid - we ever sink to such depths of desperation, we should call upon the spiritual services of the blessed Reverend Onmi Edson.
  • Options
    Talking about this yesterday, came to the conclusion that it may be down to the sun shine.
  • Options

Talking about this yesterday, came to the conclusion that it may be down to the sun shine.

This. JS goalmouth was in shadow.
  • Options

I think it was a one-off today, so that Yann could sign some autographs before the k.o.

Nice one, AK !

• Options

A few years ago Wolves were OK away but couldn't win at home for love or money. The manager came up with the idea of taking the players to a hotel on the Friday night, then having them driven on a magical mystery tour of the West Midlands on Saturday morning, ending up at Molyneux.

They still lost, so the manager brought in a witch-doctor to exorcise the home turf.

If - heaven forbid - we ever sink to such depths of desperation, we should call upon the spiritual services of the blessed Reverend Onmi Edson.

I seem to remember a few years ago Southampton brought out some mumbo-jumboist preacher-witch type thing to exorcise a curse at St Mary's. Result - they beat us.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Stig said:

I seem to remember a few years ago Southampton brought out some mumbo-jumboist preacher-witch type thing to exorcise a curse at St Mary's. Result - they beat us.
    Ha! My atheism remains resolute, Stig. I'm a great admirer of Lennie Lawrence, though we did go through some horribly bleak winless periods with him while we were lodging at Parkhurst Cell. During one of these, he said to the Press at the weekly conference: "I've told the players: I can't do anything more for you. I'm not having any more ifs, buts, or hard-luck stories; you've just got to win."

That's one of the many things I like about Lennie; no-one could accuse him of confusing his players with too much science. It was a truly miserable time: a hard winter, and we hadn't won for ages. "No more ifs, buts, or hard-luck stories; you've just got to win."

And the following Saturday, we did.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Stories regarding being stuck in a rut / being on a losing streak / being affected by a gypsy's curse, etc. abound throughout sport. A common response is to 'change the routine'. This can either help, make no difference, or be somewhere in between.
    However, one thing that can make a positive difference is when supporters get behind the team and SUPPORT. No jeers, no voicing of (real) frustrations.... just passionate, honest support. Charlton fans have engaged in this on numerous occasions in recent times - including last Saturday - and the results have been tangible, immediate and very important. The players are energised and feel valued, and I have observed that the referee is influenced too, so that 'questionable' decisions go our way. Chris Powell has often spoken of the positive effect that the home support has on the players.
    I reckon that the singing from the Covered End over the past couple of years is the best I've heard since the mid to late 1980s.
    Well done, all. Grumble quietly. Sing up, long and loud!

Nice post, Anna, though I doubt if refs are influenced by the crowd, and I'm thankful for that. But you're right: it's a symbiotic relationship between the crowd and the players - on Saturday the team played well and we responded lustily, spurring them on further. For the first time in ages I left the ground feeling heartened and uplifted.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Stories regarding being stuck in a rut / being on a losing streak / being affected by a gypsy's curse, etc. abound throughout sport. A common response is to 'change the routine'. This can either help, make no difference, or be somewhere in between.
    However, one thing that can make a positive difference is when supporters get behind the team and SUPPORT. No jeers, no voicing of (real) frustrations.... just passionate, honest support. Charlton fans have engaged in this on numerous occasions in recent times - including last Saturday - and the results have been tangible, immediate and very important. The players are energised and feel valued, and I have observed that the referee is influenced too, so that 'questionable' decisions go our way. Chris Powell has often spoken of the positive effect that the home support has on the players.
    I reckon that the singing from the Covered End over the past couple of years is the best I've heard since the mid to late 1980s.

Nice post, Anna, though I doubt if refs are influenced by the crowd, and I'm thankful for that. But you're right: it's a symbiotic relationship between the crowd and the players - on Saturday the team played well and we responded lustily, spurring them on further. For the first time in ages I left the ground feeling heartened and uplifted.

Many refs are definitely influenced by the crowd. Why do you think Man U & Liverpool hardly ever concede penalties at home ?

Excellent post in parts by Anna. When we get behind the team, invariably they play well.

Probably, why we were so poor at home last season, as we didn't get behind them enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Many refs are definitely influenced by the crowd. Why do you think Man U & Liverpool hardly ever concede penalties at home ?

Excellent post in parts by Anna. When we get behind the team, invariably they play well.

Probably, why we were so poor at home last season, as we didn't get behind them enough.
    So, all those home defeats last season were our fault! Get real.

• Options

So, all those home defeats last season were our fault! Get real.

No, but some of the games we should have won / were in winning positions then either drew or lost when fans are clearly showing nerves, this nervous energy can easily be sensed by the players and mistakes creep in. If we are in full voice to the last minute the players can often find that extra 1 or 2% that will see us over the line when put under pressure in the final few minutes.
  • Options
    I still remember the Cardiff home game last season, we were several goals down and being given a lesson in how to play football. The covered end and others started singing the red and white army song for a good twenty plus minutes and chins lifted, shoulders stopped slumping and in the second half the players not just matched a better/more valuable Cardiff team but superseded it. Two lucky late goals made it much closer than they deserved.

Of course the players should be giving 110% as a matter of course, but it cannot be denied that the fans can definitely inspire them to better performances. It is not inconceivable the opposite may also be true.
  • Options
    Singing until you're hoarse, shouting instructions to our players, clapping to make your hands sore. And leaving The Valley drained and uplifted. It was lovely on Saturday.