Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for the FA....

..to step in on players being withdrawn from England squads?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23921240

shock that Sturridge now has a knock...

Meanwhile, Reds striker Daniel Sturridge, who scored the winner, said he had been "hindered" by a thigh injury but was hopeful he would be available for the forthcoming qualifiers.

"He has struggled in the last couple of games and we need to think of Liverpool first," said his manager Brendan Rodger

...struggled so much he's won all their 9 points.

Do the FA have doctors/physio's that look at these injuries? or do they just take the clubs word for it?

Its becoming a bit of a joke. I can understand clubs wanting to look after their best players but this is a re-occuring theme at the moment.

The Moldova game should be a walk over but the Ukraine game is probably the most important England game since the Euro's. Im not having a gashed head will keep out a player for 'several weeks'.

Comments

• Options
    the pride has gone with the england sqaud, it was nice to see lambert because he really was honoured to wear the shirt a lot of players now are put under by pressure by there clubs not to play so they pick up these "injuries" and if a player rises up against them and does play he will probably get a bollocking from the manager. i think the fa should step in and try and stop this bull from the clubs about there players being injured.
  • Options
    Well said. But you are tilting at windmills. This is the consequence of the FA signing away its ability to run the game 22 years ago.
  • Options
    How does a cut on your forehead keep you out for 'several weeks'?

Surely you stitch it up, bandage it up and get on with it?
  • Options
    Rooney's a wimp. That explains it - tell him to have a word with Terry Butcher about playing with head wounds
  • Options
    Sturridge looks in great shape and form. Not surprised he joins the withdrawl list.
  • Options
    Before the match yesterday Sky showed Sturridge holding his thigh in the warm-up... Guessing he doesnt want to go on International Duty incase he makes it worse
  • Options

My understanding is that the FA can insist that a player is assessed by their medical staff. However, there is the option of accepting the club's version of events without this assessment, after all there is no point forcing a Newcastle player to come to London for an assessment when they have a broken leg.

Agree with Prague's opinion about the FA losing control of the game.

The England manager has to think carefully about enforcing an assessment as this risks antagonising both player and club manager. If neither player nor club manager wish the player to play for their country then certain injuries could in theory be faked and it would be hard to prove the player does not have an injury. However if the player does wish to play against the club managers wishes, then the FA medical staff could confirm the player is fit to play (assuming the player is fit to play) despite the manager saying otherwise and assist the player in his desire to play for his country.
  • Options
    I agree with all that has been said above, however if Rooney is not playing it might just be a bonus!
  • Options
    I believe in spain all players HAVE to report for duty to then be dismissed.
    Seem to remember a story of a kid not showing for an u17 squad and his club were fined around 5mil by their fa. Nobody has not turned up at any level since.
    Looking for link to story now, will post when I find it.
  • Options
    If Sturridge is struggling so much then why did Liverpool play him for 120 minutes in their midweek cup tie?

Then me managed all 90 minutes yesterday, but suddenly now he's injured. Absolute bollocks. I'm sure he'll be fit for the Ukraine game even if they don't bother with him v Moldova.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These players will all be fit if England qualify for the finals though, not that they helped England get there.

• Options
    Is/was there a rule saying that a player could not play for his club within x days of an International match if that player withdrew due to injury? If not, why not?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Is/was there a rule saying that a player could not play for his club within x days of an International match if that player withdrew due to injury? If not, why not?

Because the FAPL is a separate entity to the FA, and considers itself more powerful. The FA could not enforce such a rule, in the current way English football is organised.

This is not the case in Germany where the Bundesliga is still part of the German FA.

• Options
    As it stands this morning the top 7 clubs in the Prem are managed by non English managers so why should they care if one of their star players plays for England or not?

Add to this certain players lack of enthusiasm for pulling on an England shirt it is no surprise England win nothing.
  • Options

As it stands this morning the top 7 clubs in the Prem are managed by non English managers so why should they care if one of their star players plays for England or not?

Add to this certain players lack of enthusiasm for pulling on an England shirt it is no surprise England win nothing.

it's not the nationality of the managers (or more correctly owners) that matters. It's the money and who controls it.

Do you think Ashley/Pardew, Levy/Redknapp are/were more 'patriotic' than Abramovic/Mourinho? I don't.

• Options
    And if we don't make Rio, or preform badly there its poor old Roy whose head will roll.
  • Options

Its becoming a bit of a joke. I can understand clubs wanting to look after their best players but this is a re-occuring theme at the moment.

I think Ryan Giggs never played a single away friendly for Wales in his entire career.
  • Options
    Nice sentiments VG. I fear that this is a battle which was lost many years ago.

The FA has lost all control over the doings of the Premier League clubs and patriotism has become a dirty word in this country.
    The main issue however is that few of the premier managers let alone the owners of the top clubs are English and therefore have no real incentive to release players or even to see England do well internationally. They will always put their own interests first. And realistically, right or wrong, if they have paid millions in signing/developing players and pay them high wages, who can blame them for taking this attitude when there is no sense of national pride involved.
    Also, many football fans would rather their team won major trophies than see England do likewise
    Lastly, the players themselves, as with the attitude of the clubs, will not often want to risk injury or tiredness, or being away from England in some god forsaken hotel away from familiar surroundings for a few nights, and of course, many may lack the good old fashioned desire to do well for 'their' country.
  • Options

it's not the nationality of the managers (or more correctly owners) that matters. It's the money and who controls it.

Do you think Ashley/Pardew, Levy/Redknapp are/were more 'patriotic' than Abramovic/Mourinho? I don't.

Not at all, you are spot on however my point was the "Top" teams where most of the England internationals come from are managed by non English managers. The like's of Pardew, Redknapp, Houghton and Allardice can only dream.
  • Options

Steve thompson & Steve brown would not bother with the bandage Kermo would decline the stitches !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the old days you could not play for England if you were suspended for your club.
  • Options

Steve thompson & Steve brown would not bother with the bandage Kermo would decline the stitches !
    Just grab the stapler from the gaffer's desk !

• Options

or being away from England in some god forsaken hotel away from familiar surroundings for a few nights, and of course, many may lack the good old fashioned desire to do well for 'their' country.

I think the hotels my be a little better than you are suggesting Lincs... I know it suits your argument, but 5 Star top of the range luxury would probably be a more honest assessment than "god forsaken". :-)
  • Options

or being away from England in some god forsaken hotel away from familiar surroundings for a few nights, and of course, many may lack the good old fashioned desire to do well for 'their' country.

I think the hotels my be a little better than you are suggesting Lincs... I know it suits your argument, but 5 Star top of the range luxury would probably be a more honest assessment than "god forsaken". :-)
    lol .. as is not unusual I was overstating my case .. BUT .. have you spent any time in Kiev lately ?