Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tommy Morrison

Passed away , full blown aids . Sadly denied he ever had it . Was a really talented fighter who would have done more if he was trained proper .

Comments

• Options
    Didn't know much about him. It's always sad to hear when a man in the prime of life is struck down by a dreadful disease. RIP
  • Options
    Was he Tommy 'The Machine' Gunn from Rocky V!?
  • Options

Didn't know much about him. It's always sad to hear when a man in the prime of life is struck down by a dreadful disease. RIP

Have a read here m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9588582&src=desktop

Sounded like a bit of a character......

• Options

Have a read here m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9588582&src=desktop

Sounded like a bit of a character......

thanks QN
  • Options
    Tommy Morrison had the potential to be a great a real great, never knew he was close to death real shame RIP the great white Hope
  • Options
    Looks like it was not AIDS Nolly

Miller Fisher syndrome is a rare, acquired nerve disease that is considered to be a variant of Guillain-Barré syndrome. It is characterized by abnormal muscle coordination, paralysis of the eye muscles, and absence of the tendon reflexes. Like Guillain-Barré syndrome, symptoms may be preceded by a viral illness. Additional symptoms include generalized muscle weakness and respiratory failure. The majority of individuals with Miller Fisher syndrome have a unique antibody that characterizes the disorder.

a very good pal of mine was struck down with Guillain-Barre syndrome at xmas 2011 it was so bad that by boxing day he couldn't walk and was rushed to Southend Hospital where he was in ICU this was within 48 hrs of feeling like he had the flu

its a serious disease that seems to becoming more common
  • Options
    RIP Tommy

He was a screwed up bloke - but then again, so are most heavyweights. He had some extremely strange beliefs - rejecting his HIV positive diagnosis as a conspiracy against him to stop him boxing again was the oddest, and led to him denying (amongst other things) that HIV even existed - or later, that HIV itself was a conspiracy by the government. Subsequently announcing to the world that he had developed Guillain Barre/Miller Fisher was his way of 'proving' that he didn't have HIV. I'd take anything said about that with a huge pinch of salt - it's pretty obvious that a man who is diagnosed with HIV for about 15 years then develops and dies from symptoms that look exactly like AIDS has died of AIDS - but that shouldn't detract from him as a boxer. He was pretty limited in ability, and found out when he fought anyone of any real class, but had a superb left hook and was a brave fighter - especially considering he was so chinny.
  • Options
    Was very well known that Tommy Morrison had HIV, this is why he lost his boxing license because he failed repeated blood tests.

I believe he contracted the disease via heterosexual sex, he was extremely promiscuous at the height of his fame in the early 1990s.

RIP, shame to see such a fine athlete go so young.
  • Options
    The duke had a great left hook , related to John wayne
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Was he Tommy 'The Machine' Gunn from Rocky V!?

That's him.
  • Options
    nolly said:

The duke had a great left hook , related to John wayne

Grandnephew apparently.

Limited but very brave fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZrj0DLOIrg
  • Options
    Not limited he fought at world level and even won a wbo title , beating old man foreman who of course was still a danger as moorer found out . Was sadly a bit chinny and I still think he could have got down to cruiser and won more there
  • Options
    nolly said:

Not limited he fought at world level and even won a wbo title , beating old man foreman who of course was still a danger as moorer found out . Was sadly a bit chinny and I still think he could have got down to cruiser and won more there

Limited as in a good fighter, could mix it with top class fighters but ultimately not in the Lewis/Tyson class of modern heavyweights.

Hard for him to make the weight at Cruiser I would have thought, he was a big old lump!
  • Options
    nolly said:

Definitely agree he should have been a cruiserweight. He was pushed as the 'great white hope' though, and wouldn't have had much of a career if he wasn't at heavyweight due to lack of interest. Morrison v Holyfield both in their prime would have been a great fight.
  • Options
    He was ormy but still think he could have done it . Morrison v Holyfield would have been a cracker at cruiser and maybe Morrisons chin may have held up better at the weight . Tell you a underrated fighter ray mercer who bashed up a hapless Morrison .
  • Options
    Mercer's fight with Lewis could have gone either way, and the fight with Cooper was a proper brawl (though Cooper was a shit fighter he had a ridiculously good chin). Holyfield took him apart though, and I think he was always limited. That Morrison Mercer fight was painful to watch. Ol' Tommy the Chin got his bell rung pretty badly
  • Options

Mercer's fight with Lewis could have gone either way, and the fight with Cooper was a proper brawl (though Cooper was a shit fighter he had a ridiculously good chin). Holyfield took him apart though, and I think he was always limited. That Morrison Mercer fight was painful to watch. Ol' Tommy the Chin got his bell rung pretty badly

EDIT
    Just watched the KO on Youtube. Forgot how brutal it was - that referee wants shooting.

• Options

EDIT
    Just watched the KO on Youtube. Forgot how brutal it was - that referee wants shooting.

I just watched that on Youtube and counted around 8 clean hits to his face after the ref should have stepped in!!!
  • Options
    If you want brutal someone put up mercer knocking out Tim Sylvia in a mma fight . Great ko even though mercer was old and fat and out of his comfort zone he puts Tim to sleep for what seems a age . Mercer was a great am and had some great skills but always looked out of shape
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without google someone name the guy who won a title with only one real leg ?