Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Agree with Matt Le Tissier 100%

His view about Bale is spot on! This has been the first time I read a blog from a ex football player with the same kind of views as most supporters who feel disgusted with the wage these players are on. I feel his loyalty towards Southampton was brilliant and I admire attitudes like Matt, if only Scott Parker had his attitude then he would have stayed with us...........

http://www.goaldengoals.co.uk/good-luck-to-bale-in-real-madrid-but-300000-per-week-wages-is-obscene/

Comments

• Options
    If i was ever to have become a footballer i would've given it all to be the kind of footballer matt le tissier was. One club man capable of doing the incredible. Agree with this view as well, the money in football is beyond madness.
  • Options
    Players earn what someone will pay, and you earn what you can when it's offered.

And compared to US sports stars he's on about the same level as Derek Jeter, and a fraction of what Tiger Woods earn for example

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Players earn what someone will pay, and you earn what you can when it's offered.

And compared to US sports stars he's on about the same level as Derek Jeter, and a fraction of what Tiger Woods earn for example

That's prize money plus sponsership, different to a paid wage from a club imo
  • Options

If i was ever to have become a footballer i would've given it all to be the kind of footballer matt le tissier was. One club man capable of doing the incredible. Agree with this view as well, the money in football is beyond madness.

Think my priority would be winning first and foremost tbh. That would come before the money, but it just so happens that the clubs in a position to win are more often than not paying the best wages too.

What is the point in playing in a competitive sport if you dont want to be in the best position to win trophies and championships?

• Options
    I cant blame Bale for leaving at all - its a massive step up and a great challenge for him. The money is absolutely ridiculous but its certainly not his fault. A good piece by Le-Tiss
  • Options
    If the bubble bursts clubs are in serious trouble. No doubt Bale would've played for Real on the money he was on at Spurs but the agents had something to say. It won't be long until someone is on £1m a week.
  • Options
    Even in his day Matt was the exception not the rule. Most pundits were incredulous that he "wasted" his career at Sothampton, when he could have gone on and earned more league and international honours at "bigger" clubs.
  • Options
    I think the thing is as long as it's affordable any wage is ok. It's when clubs go beyond affordable that it's wrong. And contracts should be flexible so that changes in the club's finances could be reflected in players pay.

I'm fine with someone who is paid by millions of fans - as top players are - getting the money rather than directors or agents.

But I know it'll never be thus.
  • Options
    Real Madrid symbolise so much of what is wrong with modern football.

There is 50% youth unemployment in Spain, they have their citizens emigrating to North Africa to find work!

Amidst all this Real - and Barca - are tax exempt as 'sporting clubs' - and pay £90 million for a fucking football player - and they also owe tens of millions to the Spanish banks, yes, the ones being bailed out by YOU via the EU.

Complete bollocks and no wonder the likes of Uli Hoeness and Franz Beckenbauer have complained about the way the Spanish clubs operate.

It's an outrage but nothing will get done about it, plus ca change.
  • Options

There is 50% youth unemployment in Spain, they have their citizens emigrating to North Africa to find work!

Amidst all this Real - and Barca - are tax exempt as 'sporting clubs' - and pay £90 million for a fucking football player - and they also owe tens of millions to the Spanish banks, yes, the ones being bailed out by YOU via the EU.

Complete bollocks and no wonder the likes of Uli Hoeness and Franz Beckenbauer have complained about the way the Spanish clubs operate.

This & this .. but you can't blame Bale for taking the tainted coin .. to 'coin' a phrase .. 'if he don't do it then somebody else will'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This & this .. but you can't blame Bale for taking the tainted coin .. to 'coin' a phrase .. 'if he don't do it then somebody else will'
    Don't blame Bale at all, good luck to him!
  • Options
    Market forces sadly. Anyone who thinks Bale is overpaid should offer to play for Madrid for say, 1% of what Bale is getting and see how quickly they are knocked back.
  • Options
    Its so difficult.

You look at the moral aspect and think it is absolutely fundamentally wrong to see the salaries that some of these top players are paid.

BUT

Then you see actors can get paid £20-30m for a two-month film shoot, or a band can make £100m from a tour, or a poker player can win £1m from a night's work.

I tihnk a lot of us simply find it difficult to accept that some people earn obscene amounts of money, across all walks of life.
  • Options

Its so difficult.

You look at the moral aspect and think it is absolutely fundamentally wrong to see the salaries that some of these top players are paid.

BUT

Then you see actors can get paid £20-30m for a two-month film shoot, or a band can make £100m from a tour, or a poker player can win £1m from a night's work.

I tihnk a lot of us simply find it difficult to accept that some people earn obscene amounts of money, across all walks of life.

I think what makes it hard to take is that many of the teams paying these wages are running at massive losses.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Its so difficult.

BUT

I think what makes it hard to take is that many of the teams paying these wages are running at massive losses.

...is the correct answer.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Its so difficult.

BUT

So is the UK, yet we're still paying out for welfare, NHS, foreign aid, etc etc......
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Its so difficult.

BUT

So is the UK, yet we're still paying out for welfare, NHS, foreign aid, etc etc......
    We don't really have the option to just shut down the UK and make the entire population redundant though.

• Options
    Rothko said:

Agree others earn more but they usually have to win to earn as in tennis, golf etc. Bale could play shit every week and still earn over £1,000,000 per month.

• Options
    I don't understand where they pluck 300k from though?

If he's on 100k a week at Spurs, I would bet that he would have joined RM for 200k a week, why the need for Madrid to pay 300k?
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

If he's on 100k a week at Spurs, I would bet that he would have joined RM for 200k a week, why the need for Madrid to pay 300k?

If it was his dream to play for Real, as he says, he would have played for less I'd have thought as he's already set for life. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

The agent probably gets a piece of the pie. I expect Bale would've accepted £100k then again he may have an ego where he wanted to be the best paid, look how Ronaldo's been acting.
  • Options

Rothko said:

Agree others earn more but they usually have to win to earn as in tennis, golf etc. Bale could play shit every week and still earn over £1,000,000 per month.

He could be injured!

• Options
    To put it in perspective, he will earn more in a week than

- the Prime Minister will earn in 2 years
    - A GP will earn in five years
    - An Army Sargeant will earn in ten years.

And he might not have a game that week....
  • Options
    I knew I should've been a prime minister once being a footballer wasn't an option!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Its so difficult.

BUT

This all day long.

And as for Le Tiss, I admire him greatly for remaining at the club he loved all his career and wanting to make that club better, rather than moving on to ready made medal land. I honestly do not see moving to a "bigger" club as an achievement in any way shape or form. My opinion is just as, if not more, valid than some pundit who took the kings shilling himself rather than try and be part of a growing club.
  • Options
    How on earth has spotty come on here an had a dig at the NHS?
    Unreal......
  • Options
    changing topics (sorry) .. Vodaphone, a UK company is selling its stake in a US phone company for some 84 BILLION dollars .. reportedly, the UK Revenue/Tax will not get a penny in direct taxation from the huge profit this deal will generate.
  • Options
    Without wanting to defend big business too much. Vodafone are an international company, the deal is being done in the US, so assuming the money doesn't enter the UK what possible interested could the UK Inland Revenue have with a deal being done in the US for profits that will never enter the UK? Or put more simply, if the money isn't earned in the UK, nor ever enters the UK, why would it get taxed in the UK?
  • Options

changing topics (sorry) .. Vodaphone, a UK company is selling its stake in a US phone company for some 84 BILLION dollars .. reportedly, the UK Revenue/Tax will not get a penny in direct taxation from the huge profit this deal will generate.

it's 84 POUNDS and not dollars .. anyway, we (I) digress from Matt le Tissier and his opinions
  • Options
    Most of the proceeds are going into divided payments which are taxed as income unless in an ISA