Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Microwave repairs.

Anyone got any recommendations? We live in Greenhithe , fed up with buying new things every time something goes wrong. Ours is just over two years old and stopped heating anything (which I find is quite important for a microwave.

Comments

• Options
    First, if, as you say, it's just over a couple of years old, then dig out your receipt and threaten the retailer with action under the Sale of Goods Act if they don't repair or replace it free. Stuff has to be:
    As described;
    of satisfactory quality; and
    fit for purpose.
    If it's not, the RETAILER is in breach of contract and you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act no matter what the manufacturers warranty says. (Unless, of course, the retailer has gone bust like Comet.)
    The difficulty is often down to price and what it is reasonable to expect. If it was a cheapo model, then lasting a couple of years may be no more than is reasonable. If it was an expensive one from a quality manufacturer, then you've got more chance,

Second, if you intend taking it apart, be very, very careful. That's because microwave ovens run at a high wattage. They do this by using high voltage capacitors. These can have serious zap even when the machine is turned off and unplugged. You MUST discharge the capacitor before doing anything else as they store large amounts of electricity.

To be frank, unless there's a simple problem, like with the door lock, or a blown capacitor, it's unlikely to be economical or viable to repair.
  • Options
    you could look on gumtree or preloved for a second hand one
  • Options
    You MUST discharge the capacitor before doing anything else as they store large amounts of electricity.
    To be frank, unless there's a simple problem, like with the door lock, or a blown capacitor, it's unlikely to be economical or viable to repair.
    Come on you guys, there must be a Back to the Future joke in there somewhere!
  • Options
    For what they cost, I personally wouldn't take a chance with it.
  • Options

You MUST discharge the capacitor before doing anything else as they store large amounts of electricity.
    Come on you guys, there must be a Back to the Future joke in there somewhere!

Capacitors!! are they still about??

• Options
    We had a problem with our Microwave last year, it was just out of warranty so there was no point repairing it, cheaper to buy new one,
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    My last few microwaves all stopped working after a few years. As they are so cheap, it must be better to get a new one.
  • Options
    You cannot repair microwaves...mainly because they are invisible.

Now a microwave cooker, that's a different matter all together.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If it's any consolation I've had my microwave for 17 years and it is still working perfectly and for two of those years I lived in Greenhithe.