Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Walky Talky

The angle of this building near my office, is causing sunlight to heat up the pavement and set fire to things - on the news now.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think the architects could have predicted this. I definitely wouldn't have even thought this would be possible!
  • Options
    Some lad just fried an egg on BBC news
  • Options
    Wrong type of sunshine
  • Options
    The car owner's insurance company will probably call it an 'act of God' and not cough up.
  • Options
    the developers have paid the repairs
  • Options
    Just booked a week down there in early October.
  • Options
    I just walked through it and a reporter said it was 41 degrees there. He claimed it was currently the hottest place in Europe. I saw the half eaten egg sandwich too!
  • Options
    I'm off to refresh my ailing and always pathetic tan..
  • Options
    CityAM did a feature on it yesterday and again today. They took a temperature gauge down there and recorded just shy of 70C!

It took me a double-take as I thought that wasn't too bad. Then I realised it really was 70 CELCIUS!!

Starting to sound like a villainous weapon fron a Bond film! ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder what else this well scorch during sunny days in winter or other times of the year. The Walkie Scorchie!
  • Options
    Our office is bloody freezing so I might nip round there in a bit to warm up.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

the developers have paid the repairs

Ah yes, sorry: dodgy peepers strike again!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    the law of unintended consequences .. the heat reflected from the building should be trapped to heat water to drive a giant turbine to power the nearby office blocks thus helping to save the human race from extinction in the giant flood which will surely follow when the polar ice melts due to the earth's atmosphere overheating caused by carbon emissions from conventional power stations ... and cattle farting
  • Options

I don't think the architects could have predicted this. I definitely wouldn't have even thought this would be possible!

Except the same architects designed a similarly concave building in Las Vegas that has similar issues

• Options
    Sun + concave glass = disaster.
  • Options

Pretty sure the glass isnt concave, its lots of straight ones angled differently.
  • Options
    Same difference, the building itself is concave and the differently angled windows still achieve a focusing of the sunlight to one degree or another.
  • Options
    i know
  • Options
    70 degrees C? Maybe the England squad can train there as practice for the Qatar WC?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminds me of when President Obama was on Mythbusters and they did "can you sink a ship with sunlight"? Perhaps it could be converted to defend the river against attack.
  • Options
    Architects assumed the sun would never come out.
  • Options

Pretty sure the glass isnt concave, its lots of straight ones angled differently.
    You're not Henry's brother are you? :-)

• Options
    haha!
  • Options
    London actively trying to kill humans
    04-09-13

THE city of London has begun using lethal death-rays to wipe out its human population.

Londoners became aware of the attack by their home city when the ‘Walkie Talkie’ skyscraper began blasting them with killer heat beams.

37-year-old accountant Nikki Hollis said: “I was queueing for the bus when the person next to me turned to ash.

“Suddenly the deadly death rays were everywhere. When a person got hit you could see their glowing skeleton for a moment before they disintegrated, like in a 50s sci-fi film.

“A big booming voice that seemed to rise up from the ground said, ‘Die, die, die!’”

Baker Tom Logan said: “I’ve long suspected that London was trying to kill me, with the cumulative effects of pollution, stress and a generally harrowing atmosphere.

“Oh well. I suppose psychotic buildings firing lethal beams of pure energy is another thing we’ll have to get used to, like the congestion charge and parking permits.”

Speaking via a mouth-like orifice in the Gherkin, London said: “I shall also be using flying manhole covers to decapitate you. And look out for London Bridge turning into a giant metal snake with sewage-dripping fangs.”
  • Options
    I've just walked past this, and had no idea what was going on. Loads of people looking up at the sky and camera crews all over the place. Then a bloke was frying an egg on the floor. As I walked past the egg-frying, I did feel a big wall of heat.

All very bizarre
  • Options
    according to Boris, it's an Aztec death ray .. I want some of what he's sampling
  • Options

according to Boris, it's an Aztec death ray .. I want some of what he's sampling

He's been on it all his life Lincs...Piffle!!
  • Options

Except the same architects designed a similarly concave building in Las Vegas that has similar issues

All I can say is then they're a bit thick to make the same mistake twice!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

He's been on it all his life Lincs...Piffle!!
    true .. I'll pass on that one then (:->)