Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kit cars

The missus saw a Lancia kit car on top gear and started dribbling. She's a bit blind so wouldn't be driving it, but she'd be paying for it and I'd be building it. It looks nice, but at just £13k I'm thinking "You get what you pay for" Personally would rather spend a bit more for a car that doesn't fall to pieces when you drive it.

Anyone built one or knows any of the pitfalls...would be grateful for any info.

Comments

• Options
    I that kind of project sounds awesome; I spent a few months helping a mate out last year with a motorbike restoration - and absolutely loved it. Some day I'd like to do a kit build, some beautiful ones out there.

I'm not much help really, never been involved in a kit build. Immediate things that cross my mind are insurance - how does that work exactly? Also, sourcing out a base car to build upon if needed; I think some kits use a "donor" car.
  • Options
    I helped a mate to build one a few years ago. The donor car was a Sierra,so had a 2 l Sierra engine and running gear plus suspension. He wasn't pleased when boy racers in Novas were leaving his Ferrari at the lights! He could have done better if he had spent more cash on better donor parts.
  • Options
    It would have to be the Ferrari lump...preferably rebuilt.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Plus the time and expense is considerable. Also handy to have a mate that worked at Dagenham back in the day.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm retired so time not a problem. Just looked at Ferrari engines 5k upwards but without carbs, headers etc. Might have to think again on that one.

Edit: The Alpha Romeo V6 is around 2K SH.
  • Options
    Always worth joining the owners club if there is one. Whilst a lot of kits are well made there are often many difficult/awkward elements of the build process. Speaking to people who've been there helps.
  • Options
    Well, with your love of all things cannabis, god only knows what it would end up looking like................

• Options

Well, with your love of all things cannabis, god only knows what it would end up looking like................

Brilliant! Plus it looks just like me :-)

• Options
    After much discussion 'er indoors says it's got to be the Lancia Stratos with the Alpha lump.
  • Options

I'm retired so time not a problem. Just looked at Ferrari engines 5k upwards but without carbs, headers etc. Might have to think again on that one.

! Mayby have you tried eurospares of halstead essex they have 4 warehouses full of lambo alpha &ferrari new & used spares they are well worth a call . There knowledge of italian supercars are second to none they are dismantling cars all the time .

• Sponsored links:

• Options

! Mayby have you tried eurospares of halstead essex they have 4 warehouses full of lambo alpha &ferrari new & used spares they are well worth a call . There knowledge of italian supercars are second to none they are dismantling cars all the time .

Cheers mate...will defo give them a call.

• Options
    The problem with ferrari engines in kit cars is that they still cost ferrari money to run and repair.
  • Options
    My brother-in-law bought a kit AC Cobra replica to bolt on to a Beemer 3 series chassis. It used the BMW straight six as the donor lump too. Trouble is, five years later, it's still in pieces in his garage. The main reason was that he could never get the wiring loom to function. The loom came from Sri Lanka and was just a piece of junk with no customer support available.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

My brother-in-law bought a kit AC Cobra replica to bolt on to a Beemer 3 series chassis. It used the BMW straight six as the donor lump too. Trouble is, five years later, it's still in pieces in his garage. The main reason was that he could never get the wiring loom to function. The loom came from Sri Lanka and was just a piece of junk with no customer support available.

Surely his best (& cheaper) option would be to get someone with mechanical electrical experience to make one from scratch? Being a Cobra, It's hardly going to be full of all the latest gadgets, so (someone who knows what he's doing) shouldn't be too difficult.

Think I read somewhere once that only about 40% of these projects ever see the road, as people take them on in the mind that it's just gonna be a couple of hours at the w/end for a month or two. Once they realise how much time & effort goes into a project like that, it usually gets binned halfway through, with the owner either trying to sell it on, or making false promises to himself that he'll come back to it later.

Would highly recommend signing up to a forum of fellow builders and pick their brains before even considering this.....................

• Options

cafcfan said:

Surely his best (& cheaper) option would be to get someone with mechanical electrical experience to make one from scratch? Being a Cobra, It's hardly going to be full of all the latest gadgets, so (someone who knows what he's doing) shouldn't be too difficult.

Think I read somewhere once that only about 40% of these projects ever see the road, as people take them on in the mind that it's just gonna be a couple of hours at the w/end for a month or two. Once they realise how much time & effort goes into a project like that, it usually gets binned halfway through, with the owner either trying to sell it on, or making false promises to himself that he'll come back to it later.

Would highly recommend signing up to a forum of fellow builders and pick their brains before even considering this.....................

Ha, ha. - Yeah you're right Tango. Thing is, rather than having a hobby, he collects hobbies! I've no doubt the car will stay in the garage gathering dust while the old beemer slowly rots under its tarpaulin in the yard. He's since moved on to collecting and restoring antique agricultural equipment (yes, I know!) and the latest "passion" is American Quarter Horses. He thinks he's "King of the Rodeo" now! I think my sister is just too indulgent really.
  • Options
    I think wives and gf's often come in to the equation. Three hundred hours is a long time in the garage, plus you need more than an average knowledge of automobiles. I always finish projects but I've met many that don't last the course.
  • Options
    If I remember, the car in Night Rider was called kitt .. the legend that is David Hasselhoff .. hahahaha
  • Options

If I remember, the car in Night Rider was called kitt .. the legend that is David Hasselhoff .. hahahaha

Knight Industries Two Thousand.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The 'family spent two years putting one together

Used two seperate 'donor' cars for the components, (Marina and Herald) and the MG 1800 series B engine/gearbox.

Great fun to drive, real head turner - but not at all practicle - particularly someone over 6ft.