Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being teetotal

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Have they told you not to drink or is it your own choice?

Bit of both to be honest, can probably have a couple after a few years, but for now I'm not gonna bother

BIG_ROB said:

Rob as its a French kidney why cant you drink wine?

Wine and fruit based drinks are for the women GH, you know that
    You never know, your kidney might be female.
    I do, it is.

; )
    I thought I detected a gentler side to your recent postings.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Bit of both to be honest, can probably have a couple after a few years, but for now I'm not gonna bother

BIG_ROB said:

I do, it is.

; )
    Pmsl
  • Options
    Rob, trying to cut down on the bev myself to lose weight.

Defo give Becks Blue a go. Needs to be properly chilled, don't touch it warm. Decent alternative.
  • Options
    If you can't drink, either for enforced health reasons or through being a recovering, I'd be very careful in getting involved with the non-alcoholic beers. Just seems a bit of a stepping stone to me.

Always remember Rob, in the grand scheme of things you really aren't missing out on anything. Being teetotal is a huge step up than being in hospital. Or being dead.

And on that happy note.... :-)
  • Options
    Far too strong willed to get sucked in, think I'll stick to me lime and sodas for now. Gonna try Becks Blue though, cheers all
  • Options
    First up I hope you are aware that the alcohol free beers are in fact far from free, they have to meet a minimum amount, not more than 0.80% abv which is very far from 0% and besides every pub in this day and age should have a very good selection of hot drinks including every type of coffee you could possibly think of and that is where to start get yourself a very good espresso and a glass of water to chase it down. Following that up with some different coffees before even thinking about any of them fruit juices that are far too overpriced for what they are (not the landlords fault see coca cola)
    Sorry about your situation but living in France you are in very good hands :)
  • Options
    Apple & Mango J2O's with plenty of ice are worth a taste. The others are a bit too sweet.
  • Options
    The soda with lime, or sometimes cranberry, works for me Rob.

Gave up for Lent years back and spent 7 weeks drinking various versions of mineral water. Also made me realise how much cr@p I obviously talk when pi$$ed...if my mates were anything to go by!! ;-)
  • Options
    depending on the boozer you're in and availability, I would stick to coffee
  • Options
    I love lime and soda, or as we always called it a pint of players please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for your suggestions, laughing to meself cause I can't think of a boozer that I've ever frequented where they wouldn't need to run upstairs to make me a cup of coffee, let alone have a choice pmsl
  • Options
    edited September 2013

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

I do, it is.

; )
    Rob, check your armpits, if they're hairy, you are turning into a French woman.
  • Options
    he is having a hair problem
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    i am teetotal , its boring and anyone who says you can have as much fun at parties and pubs drinking orange juice is a liar, i stopped because i was a menace to myself. Good luck
  • Options
    nolly said:

i am teetotal , its boring and anyone who says you can have as much fun at parties and pubs drinking orange juice is a liar, i stopped because i was a menace to myself. Good luck

Good on you mate, can't be easy but it takes a lot of strength to do what you are doing.

My Uncle had everything a bloke could want and lost it all to drink, he tried to stop countless times but never did, he wasn't strong enough.

Besides, if you've half the charm of your old man you dont need to drink!
  • Options
    nolly said:

respect to that discipline

and agree nothing worse than being sober with pissed people who see everything as funny when in reality it isn't

i only ever have alcohol for the affect not the taste

water is my tipple of choice , years ago was in Claridges and they had a water menu with loads of choice and water for £30+ a bottle can't say it was much different to Evian but a waste of dough

• Options
    £30 quid for a bottle of water? Southerners really don't have a clue ;o)
  • Options
    peckham spring !!
  • Options
    A water menu?
  • Options
    on reflection you can have fun not drinking , cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Notice Off It hasn't contributed to this thread.
  • Options
    Good luck to you mate, doesn't sound like you need it as you seem pretty sound of mind.

In France you should be fine for a choice of coffees and many other variants of warm drinks if my recollections of the place and Belgium is anything to go by. I completely see your point about asking for a coffee in a lot of boozers!

Becks blue is horrible, as is j20 lime and soda is ok but the choice and prices of soft drinks in pubs is laughable normally. Not much encouragement to put your hand up and be des is there?
  • Options
    I expect a 30 quid bottle of water to be purified by Claudia Scheiffer!
  • Options
    I never knew Fiji water was meant to be something special. It priced the same as water here in Australia and funny enough, Fiji.

Good luck to all the teetotallers out there.
  • Options

£30 quid for a bottle of water? Southerners really don't have a clue ;o)

I'm almost certain this wasn't an April Fool - some years ago there was a plan to bottle water ostensibly from springs on Shooters Hill and sell it as a designer accessory. It's enough to drive you to drink.

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Cheers for your suggestions, laughing to meself cause I can't think of a boozer that I've ever frequented where they wouldn't need to run upstairs to make me a cup of coffee, let alone have a choice pmsl

lol take your own flask .. but the cardigan is not obligatory .. like you I had to quit booze for health reasons .. I found it really easy .. the fear of death is a great incentive ((:->)
  • Options
    I had to give up drinking for about 6 months a couple of years back and generally just stuck with diet coke. Had never noticed until then how much pub lemonade tasted like soap. Not even soapy water, just soap.

Off the booze right now until I have surgery at the end of the month. Have a couple of birthdays/leaving do's to go to which I know will be unbearable. Really, really hate drunk people when I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    25ml lime cordial
    2/3 drops Angustora Aromatic Bitters
    275ml ginger beer
    275ml soda or lemonade
    ice

It's called a rock shandy ..... Very tasty and refreshing