Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooters Hills Slopes

So these articles claiming the area to be up and coming, just how far is it from Woolwich arsenal station?

Comments

• Options
    about 3 miles!think it is a nice area to be honest
  • Options
    I saw that article in London Lite last night. Apparently " the slopes " are the in place to live in London.
  • Options
    as the crow flies 2km I'd say

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=544500&y=177500&z=3&sv=544500,177500&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=544039&ay=178592
  • Options
    To be honest, what most property writers (especially those at the Standard/ London Lite) know about London could be written on the back of a postage stamp - especially when they can big up Shooters Hill to attract ads from people with developments in the area (or near-ish, like that Woolwich Green thing on the old army flats site).

The reason why Shooters Hill is relatively cheap is because it's poor for public transport.
  • Options
    Good time to buy then
  • Options
    Ps great pub up that way!The Bull!Charlton fan runs it
  • Options
    I expected this thread to be about skiing/toboganning down Shooters Hill seeing as the weather we've had today.
  • Options
    did laugh when i read it last night.

The key thing to any developmental area is transport links, and Shooters Hill could not be worse served, even with the impending DLR at Woolwich.

Personally, i think value for money is still to be found in suburbs. My journey to work in the City is the same time as someone tubing from Clapham, and i'm overground and likely to get a seat. yet my equivalant house is likely to be £150-200k more in Clapham.
  • Options
    Be fine for me as I am a cyclist, bit too near Plumstead schools though, so I am buying nearer Bexley..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Ps great pub up that way!The Bull!Charlton fan runs it

Yeah I was in there Sunday night , proper pub .

He's just taken over has n't he ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]did laugh when i read it last night.

The key thing to any developmental area is transport links, and Shooters Hill could not be worse served, even with the impending DLR at Woolwich.

Personally, i think value for money is still to be found in suburbs. My journey to work in the City is the same time as someone tubing from Clapham, and i'm overground and likely to get a seat. yet my equivalant house is likely to be £150-200k more in Clapham.

Which is ok, until you miss your train by a minute or so and then have to wait half an hour for the next one, whereas someone going to Clapham just has to wait 3 or 4 mins for the next tube. Bloody annoys me getting texts from my mates saying they have got the tube home, ordered a ruby AND have picked it up all whilst I'm still standing there on a freezing cold platform dying for a wee!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Ps great pub up that way!The Bull!Charlton fan runs it

Yes mate he has,we go in there the odd sunday afternoon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]did laugh when i read it last night.

Depends what you're after, mind. Clapham and Balham and all that are full of young out-of-towners who'd probably feel like a fish out of water further out of town.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]

The reason why Shooters Hill is relatively cheap is because it's poor for public transport.

I have a mate who used to live at the top of Shooters Hill and his journey to work in Euston used to take him between an hour and a half and two hours door to door. He got so fed up with the unreliability of the buses to take him to Blackheath station that he sold his 3 bed Semi and brought a 5 bed detached house for less money in Northampton. Still works for the same company and the journey takes round about the same amount of time. Better quality of life too.
  • Options
    the joys of living in southeast london (no tubes), we get a better class of person than southwest london rabble...

;)
  • Options
    ......And you can see the Wembley Arch from there - that must add to the value!
  • Options
    I'm from the Shooters Hill area originally and the buses have never been great. The 89 was tolerable and in the good old days you had the alternative of the Green Lines 701 or 702 but as for the 192 (later the 291 so I'm told) if it was a bird you'd have "twitchers" flocking from far and wide they were that rare!

In the days before I could drive I got quite fit walking /cycling round there. I could (and invariably did) walk to Woolwich and not see a 192 from the Shrewsbury Lane area all the way. How long would I have been stuck at the bus stop?
  • Options
    Its a good job you took the initiative to move otherwise you could still be at that bus stop!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

he has indeed, Steve agreed to sponsor Charlton lifers last night, nice bloke and as Shag says a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    i am also origianally from shooters hill, stayed up there for about 3 months last year with my old man, he live a couple of hpouses away from the Bull! So i went in there alot, know a fair few people that drink in there too. Great pub proper pub
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2007
    i was in a pub up london,before an england game and suddenly most of the pub started singing 'shooters hill,shooters hill shooters hill'.