Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mendonca

edited March 2007 in General Charlton

Comments

• Options
    "discovered Australia"!!!!

The indigenous people (aboriginals) had been living in what we now call Australia for about 40,00 years before Cook or Mendonca and had been trading with people from Malaya since about 1300.

Would have expected better of the liberal-leftie Saddam Hussian loving Guardian.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    "But evidence has emerged to suggest that neither the English nor Dutch were the first Europeans to reach the continent during the great era of epic sea adventure and global circumnavigation"
  • Options
    still didn't "discover" it unless we are using the "I discovered a nice pub yesterday" use of the phrase.
  • Options
    but if the aboriginals were always there,they didnt discover it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]but if the aboriginals were always there,they didnt discover it.

They walked over from Asia when there was still a land bridge. Whoever did discover it it wasn't Cook or Mendonca just as Ceasar didn't discover Britain in 55bc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]still didn't "discover" it unless we are using the "I discovered a nice pub yesterday" use of the phrase.

Exactly - it is Australia we are talking about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]still didn't "discover" it unless we are using the "I discovered a nice pub yesterday" use of the phrase.

Exactly - it is Australia we are talking about.

LOL
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]but if the aboriginals were always there,they didnt discover it.[/quote]

They walked over from Asia when there was still a land bridge. Whoever did discover it it wasn't Cook or Mendonca just as Ceasar didn't discover Britain in 55bc[/quote]

The more recent theory is that they landed in Australia having rafted down from the Polynesian Islands.

New Zealand was settled the same way ca year 1200.
  • Options
    Makes me laugh, when I lived in Aussie, they all blame the British for persecuting the 'abbos', like they were nothing to do with it...
  • Options
    they ARE the British who persecuted the aboriginals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]They walked over from Asia when there was still a land bridge.
    that cannot have happened! If there was a "land bridge" in the time of men then there is Australia would not have its unique flora and fauna. Australia must have been an island for hundreds of millions of years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]They walked over from Asia when there was still a land bridge.
    that cannot have happened! If there was a "land bridge" in the time of men then there is Australia would not have its unique flora and fauna. Australia must have been an island for hundreds of millions of years.

There was a time when all the continents were all one big land mass - Gonwandaland or something but you are most likely right unless God created it that way on the 5th day.
  • Options
    "Australia must have been an island for hundreds of millions of years."

Australia was connected to New Guinea until around 40-50,000 years ago, this was around the time that the Aboriginals first settled in Australia.
  • Options
    The last time the continents were all one land mass is called Pangaea - plate tectonics split it into Gondwana and Laurentia, or I think back into Gondwana and Laurentia more or less as they had been before forming Pangaea. Gondwana was more or less today's southern hemisphere and Laurentia the northern hemisphere.

I read a great book about it all by Richard Fortey, called The Earth.
  • Options
    That's what I thought. yah boo sucks Salad :- )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]"Australia must have been an island for hundreds of millions of years."

Australia was connected to New Guinea until around 40-50,000 years ago, this was around the time that the Aboriginals first settled in Australia.
    Australia was just a bigger island then! But that's right, the continental plate of Australia flooded then to create NG.
  • Options
    ...but Mendonca scored a hatrick at Wembley...doesn't that count for anything? ;o)
  • Options
    There was a time when all the continents were all one big land mass - Gonwandaland or something but you are most likely right unless God created it that way on the 5th day.

This is the proven theory of Alfred Wegener, who first conceived the theory of plate tectonics. Essentially he noticed that there was evidence of plant and mammal fossils from opposite sides of the Atlantic, when those plants/mammals were either extinct or not indigenous to one or either continent. The orthodox theory of the time explained this by claiming that land bridges, now sunken/eroded, had once connected far-flung continents, his theory was that they were once connected but had shifted as a result of the plates shifting. Wegener called the original mass Pangaea - from the Greek for "all the Earth".
  • Options
    Or God a spaceman and all that Erik Von Danikan bollocks.

BFR have you ever read Carl Sagan's the demon haunted world. Great debunking of mythical psedo-science and aliens/UFOs etc.
  • Options
    BFR have you ever read Carl Sagan's the demon haunted world. Great debunking of mythical psedo-science and aliens/UFOs etc.

No....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting. Saw a local estate agent named Mendonca on the box here the other day advertising his services.
    He pronounced his name as MendonSa. He even looked a bit like sir Clive so may be related.
    I wonder if we have been pronouncing his name wrongly for all these years!
  • Options
    is not crap