Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    The missus is presenting a trophy at Tour of Britain on Sunday...
  • Options

You want to be careful of Peter Sagan ;)

• Options
    CAFC Luke said:

fatrob said:

Got a Specialized Allez 2013 Leroy should come friday looking forward to it but know the first few months will kill me

I have this bike in the basic model as my first Road bike and it is very good! Basically the gears change really easily with a nice ratio between them, and it handles very well also for the very competitive price! Did you go for the red option as well?

Great begginers bike.
    The red option looks very stylish.
    Went out on mine in the rain for the first time yesterday surprised with the grip I found on cornering at decent(ish) speed.

Bostall Hill - What a killer!!
  • Options
    I had a horrible crash yesterday on my mountain bike, coming down a steep gravelly track at a fair clip hit a root or something and flew over the bars - had time while flying through the air to adjust my position and executed a perfect parachute roll. Shredded my left arm and ended up in hospital - luckily nothing broken. Looks like I've gone toe to toe with one of the local bruins though - going to be road biking only while this heals up.
  • Options
    Clare Griffiths ‏@clogsilk
    Greenwich/Lewisham people with bikes http://lcc.org.uk/events/dr-bike-at-greenwich-park-on-wed-18-sep-2013
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

You want to be careful of Peter Sagan ;)

I think she'd enjoy that a bit too much...
  • Options
    fatrob said:

JohnBoyUK said:

fatrob said:

For the first time in my life i am going to have a real go at losing some weight, and have chose cycling as my form of exercise.

Bike should be ariving this week so i anyone knows some decent routes out from Bexleyheath please let me know.

What are you looking at doing and how far are you looking at going?

Im looking at having a real go at losing some weight as for distance I havent cycled for years so would be a process of building it up if any of you regular cyclists could help in working out a program that would be great and in the long term maybe looking at joining a club so I make sure that I get out at least a few times a week.

@fatrob I dont cycle but if I ever had the courage to, I would probably start on the Thames Path. You can cycle from Erith Rivertside to Greenwich and back easily. I have walked it many times and its nice and flat too, and no nutters on there.
  • Options
    Sounds nasty but lucky Oakster.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

fatrob said:

JohnBoyUK said:

fatrob said:

For the first time in my life i am going to have a real go at losing some weight, and have chose cycling as my form of exercise.

Bike should be ariving this week so i anyone knows some decent routes out from Bexleyheath please let me know.

What are you looking at doing and how far are you looking at going?

Im looking at having a real go at losing some weight as for distance I havent cycled for years so would be a process of building it up if any of you regular cyclists could help in working out a program that would be great and in the long term maybe looking at joining a club so I make sure that I get out at least a few times a week.

@fatrob I dont cycle but if I ever had the courage to, I would probably start on the Thames Path. You can cycle from Erith Rivertside to Greenwich and back easily. I have walked it many times and its nice and flat too, and no nutters on there.
    Apart from the occasional walker.
  • Options
    I have a nice little route from Thamesmead to fleet st , I use it 6 days a week , most of its cycle path and a little road from tower hill .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    12th Man said:

I do a fair bit of cycling these days. Good Thames path from Erith to Greenwich on mountain bike. Some good lanes out Kent on the racing bike and I seriously recommend the Cyclopark in Gravesend just off the A2. £3 for two hours on a 2.6k tarmac circut, 100% safe, no traffic. I normally do at least one session every week there.

I had a race there at the weekend, the Dulwich Paragon world championships. It is an absolutely class facility, I loved it. Don't know about 100% safe though, some really tight turns around the back of the course, especially when you're doing 20 mph +!!!

I came second in my category to (Juniors/under 18's) so I'm really pleased with that. Might upload some pics later.
  • Options
    Well done Addickted4life. Agree them corners are sharp, but keeps you on your toes eh.
  • Options
    Just spent a couple of hours down at cyclopark after reading this thread . Well worth a visit
  • Options
    I've watched a couple of friends compete in races up at the Cyclopark in the Surrey League. Christ, you think you're a half-decent cyclist then there's that lot. Super quick and balls of steel.

• Options
    Racing doesn't appeal to me. My pal came off his bike doing 70km/h downhill last year and got into an altercation with a tree. Totally destroyed his shoulder and upper arm. Top two inches of bone in his left arm removed, shoulder joint totally rebuilt, nerves ruined - only has about 20% use of that arm now. Was literally within millimetres of death - the bone snapped across a bloody vessel, if it hadn't been pressing against it, he'd have bled out at the roadside. All for, basically, nothing except glorification of his ego. No thanks - I'll stick to trying to beat my own times (and other peoples' Strava times :o) )
  • Options

Racing doesn't appeal to me. My pal came off his bike doing 70km/h downhill last year and got into an altercation with a tree. Totally destroyed his shoulder and upper arm. Top two inches of bone in his left arm removed, shoulder joint totally rebuilt, nerves ruined - only has about 20% use of that arm now. Was literally within millimetres of death - the bone snapped across a bloody vessel, if it hadn't been pressing against it, he'd have bled out at the roadside. All for, basically, nothing except glorification of his ego. No thanks - I'll stick to trying to beat my own times (and other peoples' Strava times :o) )

Well thats it, isnt it? Hopefully next year I'll be able to get a proper run at time trial season if injuries permit, unlike this year.

Leroy, I'm assuming that was you that added me on Strava??? Perhaps we should set up a CL Strava club?!?!?! Then we could put all our stuff in one place. Or maybe a Garmin Connect group???

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Here you go peeps, I was bored.

If you're on Strava, add yourself to the club "Charlton Life Runners and Riders" then we can all share our activities etc.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was me - added Charlton charlie too. Good idea on the group - I'm on garmin connect too. Might spur me into remembering my garmin every time I go out :) I'm sure there are some other people on here that are on strava/GC too
  • Options
    Might actually inspire me to get back out on my bike again. It seems like ages :(
  • Options
    I'm putting my third bike up for sale, if anyone is interested.

A red Specialized Allez Elite 2010. 9 speed Shimano Tiagra. 56cm frame, so suitable for anyone between 5'8 and 6'0 tall.
    Well looked after. £350.

Also putting my Contour Roam 1080HD Helmet Cam up for sale with two memory cards. £100.

PM me if interested and grab yourself a bargain before they go on eBay for potentially more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You upgrading JohnBoy, or just selling to make room? :)
  • Options
    Just joined the club, i do a lot of mountain biking so dont rack up the mileage like you roadies - all academic in a few weeks when the snow sets in & my strava account will be logging cross country skiing only......
  • Options

You upgrading JohnBoy, or just selling to make room? :)

No, not upgrading (well not yet anyway!), just making room. I've got two bikes in my shed and I've got my best bike in my bedroom lol. I'm not cycling enough these days to justify two road bikes. I need to keep the MTB so I can still go out riding with my daughter.

• Options
    Any of you lot ride tandems?
  • Options
    Man_at_Millets does :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Man_at_Millets does :)

LOL. No fear, I'm not doing all the work. Mrs MAM's got her own bike.
  • Options
    The Allez ended up going for £450 rather than £350. He didnt want the Fulcrum 5s either for some strange reason so am going to put them on ebay and should fetch at least £75-100.

Finally got my first road ride in since the end of July today. Have been suffering from patella tendonitis brought on from misaligned cleats. Unbeknown to me, one of the bolts had come out and the cleat had moved and I ended up pedalling a very fast 50 miler with my feet in the wrong place and mucked my knee up as a result. Strangely, have still been able to run with minimum discomfort but as soon as I turned the pedals over I was in agony from the angle my knee was at. However, with some work in the Gym on my quads, the problem has gone now, so I've been biding my time to get back on the bike for fear of the injury starting up again but today was the day. Only 30 miles at 17.5mph but its a start. Can start to build up again now. Am a happy man tonight :)
  • Options
    If you suffer any further problems Johnboy I cannot recommend a professional bike fit enough. I thought I had my road bike and cleats set up pretty good but how wrong I was. The kid's treated me to one last Christmas, best prezzy a road biker could have.
  • Options
    I've promised myself one in the new year. My mate has been on at me for ages about having one done.
  • Options
    Sorry but... i had a bike made to measure by Omega and it was the worst i've ever had.
    If anyone wants a serious upgrade my mate is selling a Time carbon with full Record etc.