Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic away 1st February 2014

2»

Comments

• Options

Alex, out of interest, how old are you and what's you personal situation ?

If like me you are married with young kids, you would appreciate how difficult it is to attend regular away football. Be it the impact of the cost, or the impact of further time away from home, or the sheer selfishness of it. It's just not viable in the majority of cases.

There are very few on here that are regular home and away travellers. There are however, many on here that have been regular home and away travellers at some stage in their lives. People's situations change and so do their priorities.

Our away support is largely what it is as the vast majority of our support base are home only , or away pick n choosers, for various reasons. Things that would change that are a higher greater number of late teens/early 20s coming through the ranks, a season with a number of closer games than the norf-based leagues we've had in recent years, and a successful season to tempt those pick n choosers to be that bit more regular.

But it is not something that will change overnight, or in the next 12 months, it will only change over a long period as rarely over time to people's attending habits increase rather than decrease.

agree completely i will do this for a few more years then probably knock it on the head
  • Options
    So poor away support outside of London results in us being called trainspotters?
    Seems legit...
  • Options
    I'll be there regardless of this rallying cry for more away supporters, in which I'm in support of! Be nice to have 1500 or so up there making lots of noise.
  • Options
    @AlexPerseval - if you are seeing most games this season it sounds like you are the man for the flag bearing duties.
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm it will defiantely be on a Saturday. Our home game has been changed to a sunday due to their eurpoa league commitments.
    Sounds a decent one yo me - aground I've never been to and a decent train service

• Options
    redman said:

Can anyone confirm it will defiantely be on a Saturday. Our home game has been changed to a sunday due to their eurpoa league commitments.
    Sounds a decent one yo me - aground I've never been to and a decent train service

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sky have only picked their fixtures up to November 30th or thereabouts.

Whilst unlikely, it could be televised, it could also be postponed due to weather. 1st Feb is often about the coldest time of the year. Mind you they probably have under soil heating.
  • Options
    1500 up to Wigan well best of luck with that .Now not to put you down but every match i watch with Charlton is to the normal person an away game for me.400miles and seven hour travel just to get to The Valley.Been too Wigan plus another 100 grounds seeing Charlton play over anumber of years with away fans as few as74 at Grimsby one year.Do i plan to be at the wigan game,count me out for this match.
    10 OUT OF 10 for trying to get a good amount of away fans to this match but think you have set your sights to high.
  • Options
    ill be there
  • Options
    Do I have to go?
  • Options
    I was there for the 3-0 debacle.

I'll be there again in Feb, with nothing but optimism that we're going to win THIS time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Expect to see a big push over the next few months in an attempt to get an extraordinary amount of Charlton aways fans compared to normal out of London

You'd be doing the Club a much greater service if you focused your energy on getting more people to home games.