Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are smaller squads a good thing sometimes?

Not always convinced about the benefits of a larger squad of mainly mediocre players. Sometimes a smaller squad leads to better team spirit, less opportunity for tinkering with the lineup and players get more playing time.
At present some players have very limited opportunity to make a mark before they're dropped.

Comments

• Seems to be working this season .
  • Our squad seems bigger than that of many clubs.
  • Our squad seems bigger than that of many clubs.

Largely because we give so many (all?) of our youth players a squad number which is why it appears bigger on matchday programes. As for actual squad size, I agree, its best to have as small a squad as you can get away with, but with reasonable depth/players who are real utility players able to play in several positions.

• From memory, Liverpool or Villa won a title using only 14 players.

It's up to the manager to manage a squad. As the season progresses the benefits of a larger squad can usually be seen when injuries and suspensions take effect. A larger squad allows more options regarding ways to play.

Charlton's current problems are not due to squad size.
  • In terms of senior players I'd imagine we have a smaller squad than many.
  • What concerns me is the constant tinkering with the team/formation. How many players have we used this season?
  • What concerns me is the constant tinkering with the team/formation. How many players have we used this season?

With injuries, suspensions and all round poor performances I cannot see we have had little choice.

• From memory, Liverpool or Villa won a title using only 14 players.

They did...but they were only allowed one sub in those days. These days there's hundreds of them running up and down....
  • Depends on the quality of the squad. Injuries and suspensions will always happen. I think our squad is the right size, the ability of the personnel is debatable (as with a lot of other teams).
  • Not always convinced about the benefits of a larger squad of mainly mediocre players. Sometimes a smaller squad leads to better team spirit, less opportunity for tinkering with the lineup and players get more playing time.
    At present some players have very limited opportunity to make a mark before they're dropped.

As you have outlined above, smaller squads are better than large ones, with the proviso of course that the squad (say 23 players) is of decent strength and quality. Small squads force managers to be extra careful when signing players and to stick to tactics without tinkering and faffing about for every other game. I would also abolish the entire loan system. If the fully contracted players can't do the business, tough. What's good enough for José M, Lord of Chelsea should be good enough for lesser mortals ((:>)