Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lost love

I could write about all the games I've been to, the years I've followed Charlton, but let's be honest none of us would be on a Charlton forum (apart from a few bizarre cases) if we weren't Charlton fans.

I don't want to complain, but I will, I don't want to tell Chris Powell how to pick a team, but I wish I could, I don't want to slag off the team, but I frequently do. I guess I want to figure out what to do, because I've always loved Charlton and I think I always will, but I don't think I like them anymore.

If I'm honest I'm not sure it's a love which is altogether healthy anymore. It's kind of like the love you have for a girlfriend/boyfriend who continually cheats on you but you hope they will change. I resent them most of the time, they constantly disappoint and fail. For forcing me to hope things will get better when I know that that's very unlikely.

I don't know if it's nostalgia but I don't think it used to be like this. I used to love going to the Valley, this was before the Premier league years. We weren't great but we did alright, won most of the games you expected us to win, lost the ones you didn't.

I think the big thing was we played to the maximum of our ability most of the time. We might not win but you knew the players had given their all. I don't feel like that most of the time, I don't think this team is great, far from it, but I do think they're better than they perform on a regular basis.

Chris Powell is a really promising manager, constantly betrayed by the people above him. Vultures who prey on the carcass of the club I love. But again, that's a rant which I've been over a million times and not one I have the energy to repeat.

I just want to enjoy going to the Valley again. I'm so worn out by seeing away fans celebrating in the Jimmy Seen stand why I sit there with my head in my hands. I think I managed to watch about 20 minutes of Saturday's game, the rest of the time I spent with my face pressed firmly into the palms of my hands, trying to block out what I was seeing.

I know most people feel the same. The atmosphere at the Valley is usually pretty horrible. People so full of frustration that they can't help but let it out. Again, I don't think it has always been like this. I think Charlton fans have always been very patient and fair, but 10 pretty miserable years will do that for you.

How can I enjoy supporting Charlton again? It seems cheap to say, but it'll happen when we start to win games again. When will that happen? When more money is invested in the team. When will that happen? When we have new owners.

Like all of us I'm going to try and hang in there. I have a young daughter now, conflicting priorities, spending money I don't have on something I don't like. Seems mad, but what choice do we have?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's all about money, look at palace, promoted on a shoe string budget, look at Burnley right up there who haven't exactly splashed big, the same with Blackpool. Obviously money would help but the issues we have aren't just money related
  • Options
    Funny I've known a few people who fell out of love with football. Other priorities, money, family and so on. Never happened when we were high on the hog in the prem. the players haven't turned up lately but neither have a lot of the support. If either fans or players aren't 100% committed through thick and thin, I'd rather they didn't bother. It's chicken and egg, why would anyone invest in a club who has a support made up of whining cowards who only turn up to see victories? Hardly an attractive proposition. We're not Man U, we're Charlton. If that's not good enough then dont support the club. the dull whine offends my ears.

The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
    God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
  • Options

, spending money I don't have on something I don't like. Seems mad, but what choice do we have?

Scant consolation I know, but Jimenez says much the same.

;-)

• Options
    Spot on CWB. I wanted to post something along those lines but just haven't got round to it. You put it exactly how I am feeling.

I couldn't make Saturday (as you may guess I don't make as many games as I used to when previously living in Kent) but even watching it on tv, I could just sense the morose atmosphere and frustration emanating from the stands. The air of despair was evident so early on and it felt as if we'd already conceded that we were not going to win.

But as you say, it never used to be like that. There was always some thing you saw - the effort, the pride, the hope - it always kept me coming back for more.

Supporting CAFC had always been about that to me - living in the hope that we'd one day 'crack it'. Perhaps you could say we already have under the Curbs years but I look at the Fulham's, Swansea's etc....comfortably holding their own in the top flight with some cracking players to watch week in week out. We never even had a European campaign, no matter how small lived it might have been.

I now feel so far removed from what used to make me love watching CAFC that as you say, it's a bloody tough call to keep pumping your money and time into going. The morale and patience of our loyal band of supporters is waning badly.

However, there is still that word, hope. There is nothing more than I would love to see than 'our' Chrissy Powell lead us to success. To see him leave knowing that he was not able to be given the tools and resources to build on early promise would break me. I think the man is fantastic.

Therefore I prey, like everyone, that this club can somehow be snapped out of it's depressive coma and come alive once more. A lot of pieces are already in the right places, but we've just gotta hang in there for now. It'll be worth it.
  • Options
    Interesting posts but I have to say being thousands of miles & an ocean away my support is still there - I listen to every game bleary eyed at 8am on a Saturday morning (I did miss Saturdays game the 5.45am caught me out) - when you are long way from SE7, & surrounded by sports that you dont really care about it's a big slice of home every week - no matter how depressing it sometimes gets.

I have to admit though I have been dabbling with the MLS & following the Portland Timbers quite intently - but its a mere flirtation behind the back of CAFC, they will always be first :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    For me , following Charlton has always been a bitter /sweet thing and the love overrides the hate I have for them, they'll always at some point break your heart but I still come back for more.
    The shit times make the rare good times taste that much more special.
    I think I have a lot of hate for some of our support , there really is quite a few minge bags who think we have a divine right to be decent when in reality we are a chuff club who have punched ridiculously above our weight during the glory years of Lennie and Curbs.
    We've just had two great seasons under SCP and at the end of the last couple of seasons the accolades of 'I love this team more than any other one' ....." we've got our Charlton back" (whatever the fuck that is) .....etc etc come spilling out and now after an admittedly really crap patch of 7 games we genuinely have fans , that want SCP gone not many but we have a few and there were a few that weren't happy with Curbs at the end and IMO the fallout from someone decent leaving could be similar.
    To me Charlton is a blind love we're rarely gonna find free flowing decent football but surely no one expects that sort of stuff following Charlton , yes it's a bonus but all you can really expect is hard work and commitment and obviously it didn't feel like our players were busting a gut for our cause in the one game that matters to some at the weekend and that maybe what the overspill of doom and gloom has brought.
    Since I got my first season ticket 30 years ago I've never gone that long without seeing a game but this season due to injury I haven't got down to The Valley and it hurts not being there and I always find defeat easier to take if I've been part of it and witnessed it.
    Having four young boys living in Essex I've gotta brainwash them and the eldest who is 7 years old gave me a little boost last night saying "I really need to see Charlton win with you soon dad" , I told him we'll go and see them in a few weeks once I can walk again but I can't promise a win and the team need our support , he agreed and I was happy that my sick passion for the club is gonna potentially ruin my first borns life ;-)
    No one should expect an easy life as an Addick and when we took those vows we should remember them in these bad times

I oohaahmortimer
    take you Charlton Athletic
    To follow(on)and to cheer
    From this day forward
    For better, for worse, for richer,
    For poorer , in sickness and in health,
    To love and to cherish,
    Home and (sometimes) away
    Till death do us part
    According to Sam Bartrams holy law,
    And this is my solemn vow

COYR
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Interesting posts but I have to say being thousands of miles & an ocean away my support is still there - I listen to every game bleary eyed at 8am on a Saturday morning (I did miss Saturdays game the 5.45am caught me out) - when you are long way from SE7, & surrounded by sports that you dont really care about it's a big slice of home every week - no matter how depressing it sometimes gets

Spot on, no matter how often I go to bed pissed off at what I've just listened too I'll still do exactly the same thing the following week, it really is that little piece of home I need!

The Chinese are not really passionate about any sport in the way we are, my girlfriend can't understand why I punish myself every week and I can't really explain why I do it either. Football is the one thing I really do miss about home.
  • Options
    I'm happy so long as the club doesn't sink financially - that's my biggest concern. I don't expect us to be a massive club and accept the ups and downs of supporting Charlton.
    Looking forward to the rest of the season whatever happens.
  • Options
    A lot of football supporters want to sit passively and be entertained and to share in glory when glory is handed to them on a plate. Glory that they have not earned. It's not theatre. It's about being part of the experience. Crowds turn games. We're better off without the £s from people who are disappointed when we lose and don't have the spine to offer their support. The team will play better with a committed crowd behind them that don't turn on them the second there's a setback. Let them slink back to their armchairs. Let them go and snivel in the comfort of their front rooms. They will crawl back when the tide turns, desperate to be a part of the glory and professing to have always loyally supported the club.
  • Options

For me , following Charlton has always been a bitter /sweet thing and the love overrides the hate I have for them, they'll always at some point break your heart but I still come back for more.
    The shit times make the rare good times taste that much more special.
    I think I have a lot of hate for some of our support , there really is quite a few minge bags who think we have a divine right to be decent when in reality we are a chuff club who have punched ridiculously above our weight during the glory years of Lennie and Curbs.
    We've just had two great seasons under SCP and at the end of the last couple of seasons the accolades of 'I love this team more than any other one' ....." we've got our Charlton back" (whatever the fuck that is) .....etc etc come spilling out and now after an admittedly really crap patch of 7 games we genuinely have fans , that want SCP gone not many but we have a few and there were a few that weren't happy with Curbs at the end and IMO the fallout from someone decent leaving could be similar.
    To me Charlton is a blind love we're rarely gonna find free flowing decent football but surely no one expects that sort of stuff following Charlton , yes it's a bonus but all you can really expect is hard work and commitment and obviously it didn't feel like our players were busting a gut for our cause in the one game that matters to some at the weekend and that maybe what the overspill of doom and gloom has brought.
    Since I got my first season ticket 30 years ago I've never gone that long without seeing a game but this season due to injury I haven't got down to The Valley and it hurts not being there and I always find defeat easier to take if I've been part of it and witnessed it.
    Having four young boys living in Essex I've gotta brainwash them and the eldest who is 7 years old gave me a little boost last night saying "I really need to see Charlton win with you soon dad" , I told him we'll go and see them in a few weeks once I can walk again but I can't promise a win and the team need our support , he agreed and I was happy that my sick passion for the club is gonna potentially ruin my first borns life ;-)
    No one should expect an easy life as an Addick and when we took those vows we should remember them in these bad times

I oohaahmortimer
    take you Charlton Athletic
    To follow(on)and to cheer
    From this day forward
    For better, for worse, for richer,
    For poorer , in sickness and in health,
    To love and to cherish,
    Home and (sometimes) away
    Till death do us part
    According to Sam Bartrams holy law,
    And this is my solemn vow

COYR

I'm with you 100% & I'll 2nd your post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @ChrisWhytesBaldhead

Reading your post was very familiar to me. I really struggle to put my finger on what it is that has changed for me, I guess I must still love them but I'm pretty sure that I don't like them anymore.

I don't even think that it's about a lack of effort from the players, Chris Powell is a legend, I love the guy and I really think that he's put together an honest group of players, the vast majority of whom are genuinely committed. I don't think that they're necessarily very good by Championship standards but that's something that shouldn't be that hard to accept as a Charlton fan.

For me, I think there's a few key reasons.

1. The style of football. However hard they're trying and even if they're winning, the football is invariably terrible to watch and has been for many years. I know it's not a fair comparison but sometimes you watch a great Champions League game or something and have trouble even remembering that this is the same sport as we get served up at The Valley. If an alien was watching they'd have to conclude that we were playing by a different rule set where consecutive passes are capped and you have a limit on how much you're allowed to move. It's not really about winning so much as struggling to remember the last time we put a decent attacking move together.

2. The fans and atmosphere. I think that there's a pervading sense of expectation around The Valley that is completely out of line with reality. This leads to frustration and a pretty poisonous atmosphere, I don't think it's a conincidence that it's so often our home form that lets us down. I mentioned on another thread that I used to genuinely believe that Charlton fans were a cut above, they understood the game and our position and set their expectations accordingly. Maybe it's because we turn up to a stadium fit for a league or two above where we are that we expect to win every week, maybe we're still struggling with the decline from the club that League One and Championship clubs would aspire to into a warning sign of how it can all go wrong. I don't know but either way, where I sit in the Upper North, I'm left with the overriding feeling that many of the people around me would be satisfied with nothing less than 46 victories over the course of the season and revel in the fact that this doesn't happen.

3. The state of football generally. I think I've just fallen out of love with the game generally. When I first started going in the mid-80s it felt like you were part of something if you were a 'proper' football fan. It obviously wasn't all great, facilities were often poor and violence was far more prevalent but neither was it a game that was thrust down your throat 24 hours a day, like something invented by a marketing man rather than a sportsman. Rebranded, sanitised and sold to the masses as another consumer product. Maybe I'm just an old romantic but it's much harder to be loyal to a consumer product than something that feels like your extended family.

4. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable!
  • Options
    Funny I had a conversation in the pub a few weeks ago with an Arsenal supporter. He was telling me how much he loved football and loved going and thought there was nothing better than him and his kid going to games.
    I told him that my view of football was totally different. I more often associate football with words like pain, disappointment, shattered dreams and constant dread. He asked me why I still went if it made me feel like that.
    I was amazed at the question and my reply was 'well you have to don't you? They're your team.' He didn't understand the answer. Neither did I to be honest.
  • Options
    I went to go and see Bournemouth the other week and it was a quite surreal experience.

Here was a club on the crest of a wave - loud, fervent support. A young, hungry and talented manager who the fans idolise (ring a bell?!). An owner with huge ambition and deep pockets. An air of supporters feeling truly connected with their club, dreaming of what might happen....

It came flooding back that day. I enjoyed my day at the football. You couldn't help but be swept away with it. I hear what @DRF is saying, I had exactly the same conversation with plenty of Cherries supporting friends. AFCB were on their knees not so long ago and believe me, they have gone through it and I do not begrudge them their success one bit.

We've been there, experienced similar times. Yes, we may have punched above our weight previously and yes, the money in football these days has left us feeling slightly disconnected with those running and playing our game.

But success on the pitch does look after so much of the matchday experience. The pre match atmosphere at the AFCB pub I went in was buzzing, yet when I went 5/6 years ago you could not have imagined it was the same set of fans.

The fabric of being a CAFC fan is that its never bloody easy. But our real club is still there, somewhere, awaiting for someone to spring it back into life. Once it does, what we are now sorely missing will then begin to return.
  • Options
    As a season ticket holder and supporter for almost 50 years, there's no chance of me giving up. I enjoy the whole experience of watching football: the build-up starts on the Wednesday, pondering the game on Saturday. I often walk to The Valley by varying routes through Blackheath, or along by the river from Greenwich. I enjoy the sensation of turning from Charlton Church Lane into Floyd Road, and the walk among the crowd: a feeling of collective ambition. Then the steps up to the Lower North and your first sight of the marvellous green sward for a fortnight: the stage is set, and we wait anxiously for the players....

After the game my pal and I always walk to a pub: often back along the river to the Pilot on the Greenwich peninsula; after the Millwall game we walked across Woolwich Common to Eltham and the Park Tavern. Then the post-mortem over a few sherbets. It's a civilised ritual, and I love all of it, even the despair after yet another home defeat....
  • Options
    Great thread , some cracking well put statements of the heart, despite being punched in the stomach time and time again we keep coming back for more , i hope we can turn a corner , i really do, as i dread to think of the alternative.
  • Options
    Supporting a club like Charlton is a lifetime affliction punctuated, if you're lucky (and we have been) by very occasional pangs of joy. It's an irritating devotion and the reason we keep coming back, I guess, is in the hope we'll experience more days like 25 May 1998. Looking at the bigger picture and the reason it is so frustrating I think is that maddening disconnect between two very real 'physical' experiences. The expectation you feel before every game, the sense of optimism that magically comes round prior to every match and then that crushing feeling when reality shatters your dreams and you leave the ground disconsolate swearing never to return. But you always do. It's a form of madness and, in spite of it, I wouldn't have it any other way. I still love Charlton though they let me down constantly. And this is how it will always be.
  • Options
    I should add that this is how it is for the vast majority of football fans the world over. You'll even find fans of Arsenal, Man U, Spurs, Liverpool etc etc saying 'Oh, it's never easy following The Gooners/Arsenal/United' (delete where applicable)
  • Options

@ChrisWhytesBaldhead

Reading your post was very familiar to me. I really struggle to put my finger on what it is that has changed for me, I guess I must still love them but I'm pretty sure that I don't like them anymore.

I don't even think that it's about a lack of effort from the players, Chris Powell is a legend, I love the guy and I really think that he's put together an honest group of players, the vast majority of whom are genuinely committed. I don't think that they're necessarily very good by Championship standards but that's something that shouldn't be that hard to accept as a Charlton fan.

For me, I think there's a few key reasons.

1. The style of football. However hard they're trying and even if they're winning, the football is invariably terrible to watch and has been for many years. I know it's not a fair comparison but sometimes you watch a great Champions League game or something and have trouble even remembering that this is the same sport as we get served up at The Valley. If an alien was watching they'd have to conclude that we were playing by a different rule set where consecutive passes are capped and you have a limit on how much you're allowed to move. It's not really about winning so much as struggling to remember the last time we put a decent attacking move together.

2. The fans and atmosphere. I think that there's a pervading sense of expectation around The Valley that is completely out of line with reality. This leads to frustration and a pretty poisonous atmosphere, I don't think it's a conincidence that it's so often our home form that lets us down. I mentioned on another thread that I used to genuinely believe that Charlton fans were a cut above, they understood the game and our position and set their expectations accordingly. Maybe it's because we turn up to a stadium fit for a league or two above where we are that we expect to win every week, maybe we're still struggling with the decline from the club that League One and Championship clubs would aspire to into a warning sign of how it can all go wrong. I don't know but either way, where I sit in the Upper North, I'm left with the overriding feeling that many of the people around me would be satisfied with nothing less than 46 victories over the course of the season and revel in the fact that this doesn't happen.

3. The state of football generally. I think I've just fallen out of love with the game generally. When I first started going in the mid-80s it felt like you were part of something if you were a 'proper' football fan. It obviously wasn't all great, facilities were often poor and violence was far more prevalent but neither was it a game that was thrust down your throat 24 hours a day, like something invented by a marketing man rather than a sportsman. Rebranded, sanitised and sold to the masses as another consumer product. Maybe I'm just an old romantic but it's much harder to be loyal to a consumer product than something that feels like your extended family.

4. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable!

Something similar to point 3 for me too, it's harder to love the game itself where the best we can hope for is for some billionaire who fancies a hobby to bankroll us into the global market - orientated hype factory that is the prem.

Maybe I too am getting old and miserable!
  • Options
    Interesting that a long opening passage has led to a number of lengthy responses. One thought from me is that for many of us here, football today is not the game that we originally fell in love with. No-one ever passes me over the heads to the front any more, and we have abandoned our caps to spend fortunes on branded clothing. Richard Murray is a shining example of a true supporter who puts his money where his mouth is, a superb contributor to this Club. Yet it was probably a rush of bad decision making, giving millions to Dowie to waste, and then asking Uncle Les to become manager instead of just asking him to hold the reins while we recovered from Dowie, that has put us where we are today. I would never hold that situation against Richard, he made honest decisions in good faith, and got it wrong as we all have especially me on many occasions. Nobody said that life was fair, live long enough and you will probably hit both the heights and the depths. It's the same in football, just fasten your safety belts and imagine where it might take us. Altogether now....things can only get better.......
  • Options
    I totally get these sentiments, and agree it's a complex mix. There is a futility in competition in the Premier League era, and parachute payments are just making it worse. In my lifetime I've seen Wimbledon appear from nowhere and hit the heights, but it's hard to see this happening again without ludicrous funding - even Wigan who did similar did so because of Dave Whelan's steel millions. Is our club's future really in the hands of some remote benefactor who knows little and cares even less? Where's the hope for supporters of most football clubs today?

I do recall one game a few years where we equalised midway through the second half but I couldn't bring myself to celebrate because I knew we would throw it away. Everything seemed so hopeless at our club back then.

I've kind of gone through the depths of such lamentation now, although I fear my recovery is inextricably linked with the opportunity Chris Powell is given to succeed. Felt like we got our club back when he recruited all those 'in my own image' players - today, well in the words of The Guardian we have "a League One team with League One ideas", and we all know at heart it's because Powell isn't being given that opportunity and we're owned by people who don't really care about Charlton Athletic.

Age and circumstance is relevant too. I used to go home and away, Charlton every week. I can't really afford to do that any more, for family as much as financial reasons. Certainly I wouldn't choose to because my family is my priority (but we do have an agreement when it comes to football and I do get the better end of the deal).

The style of football would never stop me coming, incidentally, however much I want us to play like Barcelona. I find fascination in the little battles out on the pitch, and the moments of wonderful football would be less meaningful if that's all we saw. We are, of course, a million miles away from the Premiership team that started Curbs' last season - the best football I've ever seen us play was away at West Brom, in a 4-5-1 incidentally for those who think it's a defensive formation - but I don't mind as long as I feel the players care as much as the manager, who we know cares as much as we do.

I just hope that the next ten years sees us reestablish our identity, that we follow Arsenal's example of financial fair play whilst developing the club to a point where we're again seen as a model for others to follow. That Chris Powell extends the triumvirate of legendary managers to four, and that the Valley remains our home. I'll still be there, God willing, telling them they're crap and they don't know what they're doing. Even during my darkest phases of love lost, it's a great place to relieve the stresses of the week. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

Interesting that a long opening passage has led to a number of lengthy responses. One thought from me is that for many of us here, football today is not the game that we originally fell in love with. No-one ever passes me over the heads to the front any more, and we have abandoned our caps to spend fortunes on branded clothing. Richard Murray is a shining example of a true supporter who puts his money where his mouth is, a superb contributor to this Club. Yet it was probably a rush of bad decision making, giving millions to Dowie to waste, and then asking Uncle Les to become manager instead of just asking him to hold the reins while we recovered from Dowie, that has put us where we are today. I would never hold that situation against Richard, he made honest decisions in good faith, and got it wrong as we all have especially me on many occasions. Nobody said that life was fair, live long enough and you will probably hit both the heights and the depths. It's the same in football, just fasten your safety belts and imagine where it might take us. Altogether now....things can only get better.......

And even less fair on Les Reed perhaps, a Charlton man who was shamefully treated and his only signing - Zheng Zhi - arguably the best of the entire season came at a transfer window he wasn't afforded. Sad time all round really.
  • Options
    To me following Charlton is something like a marriage.

Yes sometimes the easy thing would be to walk away forget it, but your so tied you just can't.

Then other times things are so great you just want the good times to roll & roll, but you know they just won't.

At the end of the day we all have choices to make & sometimes the easy option is to give up & try something different, but as somebody that has been married to my wife for over 30 years & my club for over 50 years somehow the easy option just isn't my thing.

Mind you nothing to stop me moaning when things are going wrong & nothing to stop me gloating when things are bloody great.

I am sure the good times are just around the corner!

• Options
    Some really great posts on here. Reminds me that when supporting a team often the 90 minutes on a Saturday is the least important part.

Cheered me up anyway!
  • Options

Supporting a club like Charlton is a lifetime affliction punctuated, if you're lucky (and we have been) by very occasional pangs of joy. It's an irritating devotion and the reason we keep coming back, I guess, is in the hope we'll experience more days like 25 May 1998. Looking at the bigger picture and the reason it is so frustrating I think is that maddening disconnect between two very real 'physical' experiences. The expectation you feel before every game, the sense of optimism that magically comes round prior to every match and then that crushing feeling when reality shatters your dreams and you leave the ground disconsolate swearing never to return. But you always do. It's a form of madness and, in spite of it, I wouldn't have it any other way. I still love Charlton though they let me down constantly. And this is how it will always be.

Yep, sums it up nicely.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Bunch of wet blanket pussies.

MTFU eh.

There are swearwords on this (just in case you all start blubbing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3TfjOeuhM
  • Options
    The last time we came up from the third tier was 1980/81. After one year and seven games we had two wins and a draw (one of the wins was against Leicester, 2-1). The attendance at the Valley on 2nd October for the next game (1-1 v Derby) was 4,685. That season we went out of the League Cup and the FA Cup at the first attempt. We didnt play Millwall, who, bless 'em, were in Div 3, but we did play Palace and beat them at the Valley in front of 7,836. QPR were top and our highest gate of the season was against them (13,306). The football was not of vastly different quality although we did have our own talismanic bearded Yann back then. It is fair to say that there were no casual fair-weather CAFC fans dropping in to the Valley.

Back then football was not on TV 24 hours a day and was not played in fancy stadia. Did I love it more? I wouldnt say so. Do I love it less now? If so it can only be explained by the the fact that just three years later we were pot less and homeless and still got promoted to the top flight where we stayed for 4 years - on teeny gates playing in a s****hole for a home ground, and the first part of that is no longer possible. The dream has all but been killed off. The knowledge that without untold riches, competing at a higher level is futile, is at the root of our disenchantment.

Much as I loved the old Valley I would not say that rattling around in a 70,000 capacity ground with 4,000 others was more fun.

It goes around, it comes around, but we are Charlton.