Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leyton Orient

8 wins out of 8 for the mighty Os.Incredible start to the season - Slade doing a credible job on v limited resources.
Mooney and Lisbie knocking them in - all seems a bit surreal.
Pleased to see them doing well and just hope we can create a similar spirit again.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I have soft spot for Orient, I live in Stratford so I go to a game every now and then when it doesnt clash with Charlton....
  • Options
    Good luck to them. Our two scapegoats doing okay it seems. I thought our fans treatment of Mooney was very harsh. He was not up to much; however, neither were 7/8 others.
  • Options
    I was chatting to Barry Hearn the other week at a golf day and he said he was concerned they would be the first club to go into administration as a result of win bonuses

Good luck to them - I am not sure the squad is big enough to last the season at the top but they have certainly had a superb start
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Good luck to them. Our two scapegoats doing okay it seems. I thought our fans treatment of Mooney was very harsh. He was not up to much; however, neither were 7/8 others.

Agree with all of these
  • Options
    Backed them last season on the handicap and because of their end to the campaign did so again this season (+17) @ 18/1.

Long may their run continue!
  • Options
    Still don't think they will last the season, had a similar feeling about Tranmere last year.

Would be happy if they came up though. Local game and all that.
  • Options

Backed them last season on the handicap and because of their end to the campaign did so again this season (+17) @ 18/1.

Good luck. Much sounder bet than my trusty fiver on Sordell to be Championship top scorer. Must have been mental.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Still don't think they will last the season, had a similar feeling about Tranmere last year.

Would be happy if they came up though. Local game and all that.

That's assuming we stay up of course.

• Options
    The foundation they are building will afford them a few slip ups if they can keep it going for a few games more! Good chance they will go up.
  • Options
    I was at Griffin Park last night and O's were superb at the back (not something you could ever have said about them before). Bees aren't a bad side but Orient completely nullified them and were physical with it too. Mooney and Lisbie are excellent Div 1 strikers and the right-winger has big potential.

On the subject of Mooney....he was VERY inexperienced when he came to us and is now a much stronger player. He still has a tendency for rolling around, which is annoying, but he's developed into a decent player. Whether he could step up to The Championship is another question though. I also like the look of Batt (ex-Millwall).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's interesting to see how Lisbie has flourished in a supportive environment.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

And at League One level!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

And at League One level!
    True but he wasn't bad for Colchester in the Championship either.

Ask Paddy Mc Carthy!
  • Options
    He had a few good games for us in the Premierhip - at his age he is decent League One and at his peak he was decent Championship/low end Premiership! Unfortunately we were in teh Premiership for much of the time he spend with us!
  • Options
    oh ffs he was shit for us, get a grip len
  • Options
    he dined out on that hattrick for years and earned a very good living from us...
  • Options

Maybe we should look at targeting their two outstanding strikers for next season in League 1.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Lisbie's biggest issue was the fact that he kept getting injuries. In 12 years with us he only started 71 matches in all comps.

He must also hold the record for substitute appearances for us - 108 in total.
  • Options

Hope the O's come up , the point is well made that Lisbie virtually played his whole Charlton career in the Prem and Orient are two levels below this.

Likewise the Moon is finally showing the potential that he showed in his first loan spell with us before Christmas 2009,I never felt he was quite the same player when he returned. Indeed he was equally unpopular at the O's until this season and the fans have started singing ' He used to be sh..e but now he is alright' as his song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mooney was one of the worst strikers I've seen play for us in 30 years (and he's had some stiff competition!)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nolly said:

oh ffs he was shit for us, get a grip len

I would disagree that he was shit but would accept that he probably did not fulfil his full potential with us.

I contend that part of the reason for that was our boo boys getting on the back of someone who was very much a confidence player.

At Colchester and Orient he has thrived in a supportive environment.

In 2007/8 he scored 17 goals in 42 games for Colchester in the Championship and we all know his game is about a lot more than goal scoring. Our top scorer, with our Premiership parachute money, was Iwelumo with 10 (might have been 11 I can't be bothered to look it up).

It's history now but I do wonder where we would be now if we'd supported rather than maligned the bloke and he'd stayed with us.

One thing Lisbie can do is create his own chances which is a plus in a striker when you have a midfield like ours which offers little if any service to the strikers.
  • Options

Mooney was one of the worst strikers I've seen play for us in 30 years (and he's had some stiff competition!)

very much THIS.
  • Options

I know I am over emotional about these things but it just doesn't seem right that the love child of Curbs should be at another club.
  • Options
    Pace and potential. Loved it when he first started playing for us.
  • Options
    I do think they'll tail off and can't see them in the automatics, but hope I'm wrong. That bet was smart gambling though, Addick.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Good luck. Much sounder bet than my trusty fiver on Sordell to be Championship top scorer. Must have been mental.

I do think they'll tail off and can't see them in the automatics, but hope I'm wrong. That bet was smart gambling though, Addick.

Thank you both - it is my "job" to find these though ;-)

If you look historically Orient are notoriously bad starters. The question is, will Barry Hearn dig into his pocket come January if they are still in the "shake up" then to buy that one or two players that could keep them going.

Or perhaps ask the Hammers to lend them a couple. I'm sure as they are on such good terms they might oblige!

• Options
    Simonsen said:

I was at Griffin Park last night and O's were superb at the back (not something you could ever have said about them before). Bees aren't a bad side but Orient completely nullified them and were physical with it too. Mooney and Lisbie are excellent Div 1 strikers and the right-winger has big potential.

On the subject of Mooney....he was VERY inexperienced when he came to us and is now a much stronger player. He still has a tendency for rolling around, which is annoying, but he's developed into a decent player. Whether he could step up to The Championship is another question though. I also like the look of Batt (ex-Millwall).

Batt's progress was always hampered by some serious injuries for us. He never looked a natural footballer, but always gave 100%, had some pace & power and somehow had that knack of the ball always running in his favour. He'd get past two players but the ball would rebound of everyones shins yet he'd still end up the other side with it.

He never looked cut out for Championship level, but good to see he is doing well for Orient.
  • Options
    Mooney was never given a chance by our fans - about as popular as Francis.

• Options
    Glad to see we're not the only pessimists around......

Paul Matthews
    Okay this is starting to get scary

Peter Bennett
    only 20 points above the relegation places.

Orient still need at least another 8 wins to ensure they avoid relegation