Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flares, Fireworks and Pyrotechnics at Burnley

Comments

• Options
    Chillax Addickted. Personally I loved the atmosphere it generates. Unfortunately this country is so PC there aren't many things you can do without breaking the law.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

the majority of the fans don't.?

How do you know this?

From the responses the Club have had from fans to incidents at away games and to the article about flares in the programme.

It's quite simple, they're against the law and the law will come down heavily on you if you decide to ignore. It's up to you.

You can carry on asking inane questions or disputing facts but the bottom line is YOU WILL GET NICKED IF YOU ATTEMPT TO TAKE PYROTECHNICS INTO FOOTBALL GROUNDS
    No they're not, they are just prohibited from being brought into football stadiums, bit like umbrellas. Against the law sounds like its illegal to have on your possession anywhere, but smoke bombs are readily available via legal means.
    I think the people so far charged under the 1875 Explosive Act may care to differ with you - including those arrested outside football grounds and charged with possession.
    That is people with flares not smoke bombs, which as I said are those that tend to be seen in our away ends, only saw actual flares at Millwall and Palace.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

PL54 said:

Addickted said:

the majority of the fans don't.?

How do you know this?

From the responses the Club have had from fans to incidents at away games and to the article about flares in the programme.

It's quite simple, they're against the law and the law will come down heavily on you if you decide to ignore. It's up to you.

You can carry on asking inane questions or disputing facts but the bottom line is YOU WILL GET NICKED IF YOU ATTEMPT TO TAKE PYROTECHNICS INTO FOOTBALL GROUNDS
    You mean the volume of people who called or wrote in moaning about it outnumbered those who called or wrote in praising it ?
    So how else to you poll peoples opinions? Did you write in praising the use of pyrotechnics?

by actually asking them.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Chillax Addickted. Personally I loved the atmosphere it generates. Unfortunately this country is so PC there aren't many things you can do without breaking the law.

Try telling that to the people of Bradford. I would say the rules are there to prevent another fire as much as protecting people.
  • Options

Spanish said:

Try telling that to the people of Bradford. I would say the rules are there to prevent another fire as much as protecting people.
    The people of Bradford actually like to use a flare or smoke bomb oddly enough
  • Options
    Bradford's stand was made of wood though, Burnleys isn't.
  • Options
    It isn't just the stand that is at risk, it is people's health. The rule is there for a very good reason - safety of everyone who attends a match.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bradford's stand was made of wood though, Burnleys isn't.

Yes it is!

• Options
    Spanish said:

Until, I guess(?), one lands on your bonce!!! PC or just sensible?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Suprised no one has mentioned this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24603580 today.
    As someone asked on the radio, do you go to a ground to see a football match or a firework display ?http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/21/chief-constables-clamp-down-flares
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Suprised no one has mentioned this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24603580 today.

I'm not condoning it but that is quite clearly a smoke bomb. A lot less dangerous.

A Lazio fan also lost three fingers due to pyrotechnics last week, I thought it was from a flare but having Googled it it appears he held a firecracker for too long.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I'm not condoning it but that is quite clearly a smoke bomb. A lot less dangerous.

A Lazio fan also lost three fingers due to pyrotechnics last week, I thought it was from a flare but having Googled it it appears he held a firecracker for too long.

When it hits someone then it becomes equally dangerous.
  • Options
    Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) Guidance
    regarding the handling of pyrotechnics (flares, smoke
    bombs and fireworks) in sports grounds

This guidance has been produced to help clubs and venue managers consider the
    safety management implications of the apparent increasing use of pyrotechnics (i.e.
    flares, smoke bombs and fireworks) at sports grounds.

Section 15.10c of the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds advises that ground
    management adopts and enforces a clear policy to prevent and prohibit spectators
    from taking flares or fireworks into a sports ground. Such policies should promote
    various options, including the use of intelligence and the searching of individuals
    suspected of being in possession of such articles. However, it is also important that
    ground management have procedures in place to safely deal with any pyrotechnic
    devices that may be confiscated and with any that may be discharged within the
    sports ground. This guidance therefore seeks to provide information to help ground
    management develop its policies and procedures.

It should also be noted that the Sporting Events Control of Alcohol Act 1985 (1985
    Act) (as amended by the Public Order Act 1986) makes it an offence for a person to
    have in their possession any firework / flare / smoke bomb etc whilst attempting to
    enter or whilst in any part of a designated football ground which is in sight of the
    pitch, and provides police with the power to search people and to arrest persons
    committing offences under the Act.

General issues regarding flares/smoke bombs/fireworks
    • If a flare is out of date (beyond its 3 year life span) it can become unstable
    and react in a different way to that intended thereby causing potential injury to
    the person discharging it and others around.
    • Hand flares and rocket flares generate extreme heat which can readily ignite any nearby combustible material causing fires and/or burns to people.
    • Extinguishing a flare is extremely difficult as often the flare contains burning
    metals. Any burns caused by a flare are likely to be severe.
    • Smoke bombs generate what is referred to as “cold smoke” but the chemical
    reaction which creates the smoke generates sufficient heat to cause burns to
    people attempting to move them.
    • The discharging of a pyrotechnic within a crowd may well create crowd
    disturbance and disruption as people try to move quickly away from the
    immediate area.
    • The smoke from flares and smoke bombs can cause further distress and
    breathing difficulties, particularly for those with respiratory problems.
    • Dependent on the location, the smoke can set off automatic fire detection
    systems.
    • “Thunderflash” type fireworks discharged in a confined space may cause
    temporary or permanent hearing problems as well as minor blast injuries
    for those in close proximity
  • Options
    Article in the Programme on Sunday
  • Options
    Anyone caught trying to take a flare into the ground will be in big trouble, I heard the safety officer will put a rocket up their arse.
  • Options
    It's all smoke and mirrors!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Article in the Programme on Sunday

Ohww you're hard!

Now, wheres me flares for sunday?!
  • Options

AIK Vs Malmo
  • Options
    Sat down to read tomorrow's programme only for my eyes to be assulted by this.

Looks like he's smuggerling a few flares in under his shirt

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some stupid comments by this man. If fans were allowed to bring in these items and hundreds of them went off, does he think that would be safe?
  • Options
    "despite both the protaganists at Bournemouth and Watford having their collar felt and receiving banning orders,"
    Addickted- don't know if you are guessing here , or your being fed the wrong information , but this is NOT true
  • Options
    Agree with the article tbh.
  • Options
    heard two CAFC got nicked trying to take flares in on Saturday.
  • Options
    at Burnley I was frisked before getting into the ground .. I assume that all CAFC fans (women as well?) were treated likewise
  • Options
    Ok, I get the argument some make that flares may add to the atmosphere, but all the one at Watford did for me was to make me cough and splutter! I can fully understand why clubs want to get on top of this before it becomes widespread. When it does, then there will of course be more incidents (through the law of averages) and it would only be a matter of time before a ball boy, a player or somebody vulnerable gets hit with one. It is logical, clubs and the Police are nipping this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

The problem is not only the flares but the sort of people that would bring them in. They are not the sort of people I would trust to be responsible with them! I don't think it has anything to do with being risk averse - there are reasonable risks and unreasonable ones and bringing a flare into a football ground falls into the latter category as far as I am concerned!
  • Options

The problem is not only the flares but the sort of people that would bring them in.

Muttley lights blue touch paper and retires 20 metres...
  • Options
    Word of warning, i've heard the firework display at the end of the Leeds game is going to be so impressive, it is going to spell out all of the premiership final scores.

So those that like to watch MOTD might want to leave a couple of mins early

:-)
  • Options

The problem is not only the flares but the sort of people that would bring them in.

Muttley lights blue touch paper and retires 20 metres...
    It's wrong to criticise proper fans.....