Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Mail Share Offer

Comments

• Options
    Have hit £4.50
  • Options
    I blame Thatcher.

The price rise today will pay for a nice couple of meals out for the family this weekend though. Up the Capitalists.
  • Options
    I just cannot see any long term value in the Royal Mail, as the Internet expands - both mobile and fixed - then what remains of its postal letter business will die off.

The parcel delivery market is still there - and expanding - but there is growing competition in that space from some very, very big players and more could easily arrive.
  • Options

The parcel delivery market is still there - and expanding - but there is growing competition in that space from some very, very big players and more could easily arrive.

Three days late, and damaged.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Three days late, and damaged.
    Oh, very good!
  • Options

I just cannot see any long term value in the Royal Mail, as the Internet expands - both mobile and fixed - then what remains of its postal letter business will die off.

They own a lot of valuable property.
  • Options

Indeed, I hope a few people enjoy their small windfall at the cost of another public service. If you want a good investment tip, stock up on 60p 1st class stamps as their price will be flying up as the service gets worse.

Yep, agree with this!
  • Options

So do British Telecom

Has sod all positive impact on the share price though and costs a fortune to maintain
  • Options

The royal Mail should be a very big player, to the point that it should be able to blow all others out of the water through its size along.

I can see a very bleak future for our posties.

Our taxes will pay for thier dole money.
  • Options
    E-mail has so many advantages over letters – both in terms of cost and speed. Companies are charging to send bills by post now so most people are going to opt out of that. The only letters which it is better to send by post is birthday and Christmas cards. Take away junk mail and there is no future there.

But the parcel delivery service is an area that is growing. Many people don’t go shopping any more – they need something – they buy it on the internet. I can see how this area will be very competitive. The advantage the post office has is that most parcels are delivered at a time when people are not in! So you would rather collect them from a royal mail office that will be close by than another company’s centre which could be much further away. Part of the reason for that is the royal mail has more offices which costs them more money to run.

My concern is – what if a company came up with the idea of delivering parcels at times when people are in and being able to give people an accurate idea when they will arrive? They would do serious damage to the post office’s business. I’d certainly prefer not having to travel to an office to collect my parcels. But this scenario would not suit the post office with its current infrastructure.

If they keep control of the parcel business, the shares should be good investments, but much too risky for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I made a nice few £s from 'Railtrack' back in the 90s ... when it comes to selling the hot off the press utility stocks, timing is EVERYthing
  • Options
    Royal mail in the future might decide to deliver parcels in the evenings.letters could be three days a week?.What will the Union do about this?.
  • Options
    The Post Office opposite the Three Blackbirds at Blendon reckons people selling stuff on Ebay is the only thing that keeps them going most of the time.
  • Options
    Carter said:

So do British Telecom

Has sod all positive impact on the share price though and costs a fortune to maintain
    Provides downside protection to the share price.
  • Options

True, but you can only sell it once!

I take your point but the property assets are not where the problems lie.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Royal mail in the future might decide to deliver parcels in the evenings.letters could be three days a week?.What will the Union do about this?.

That is my point - it would be difficult to change because of what it is - easier for another company to start doing this from scratch. Our delivery system has not caught up with the fact that buying on the internet is the preferred option for many people - and this will only increase - so the convenience of the delivery is going to be increasingly important. That is the thing that can be improved on and that means it is where future competition will focus.

Also, Royail Mail won't be allowed to stop delivering letters. But this isn't where the money is. Can't see a rosey future.
  • Options
    Carter said:

So do British Telecom

Lots of empty buildings as you know Dan. I'm currently involved in a project removing the ac units from vodafone cabins and replacing with a fan system. Lots of these are at for former BT telephone exchange sites , walking round the inside of these buildings is mad. All that empty space doing nothing.
  • Options
    So, did we basically sell off a national asset, loads of people will make a few hundred quid selling it off to a handful of massive investors who will probably strip the company bare, crash the service which then has to be taken back over in a worse state? Or will the postal system get much needed investment and improve beyond all recognition?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

So, did we basically sell off a national asset, loads of people will make a few hundred quid selling it off to a handful of massive investors who will probably strip the company bare, crash the service which then has to be taken back over in a worse state? Or will the postal system get much needed investment and improve beyond all recognition?

This is spot on.

I thought we had learned our lesson, now that all the big energy and water suppliers are owned by foreign companies - so we get held to ransom on price/delivery, while the huge profits go overseas.

Now we have sold the RM, big city fat cats have made another killing during their closed trading days, next up will be joe public who is going to make a grand this week.

Then we can all look forward to the £1 letter and no guarantee that it will be delivered, and heaven help you if you live in a "non-viable delivery area".

The supermarket delivery system will start doing mail and parcels before long, and RM will declare that the public are non-profitable, so they will focus on business users only.

It's a coalition rick. Cameron is banging on about gay marriage and HS2, while the country is overcrowded, and is heading for an energy crisis. It's a gift for UKIP.
  • Options
    Maggie Thatcher thought privatising the Royal Mail was a step too far. She was "not prepared to have the Queen's Head privatised". Personally, I was more concerned when our water was privatised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is estimated that the UK taxpayer would be £720 million better off if Royal Mail shares had floated at 450p. Does anyone in Govt know what they are doing, or was it deliberately undervalued in the hope that we will all pile in for the next flotation?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Maggie Thatcher thought privatising the Royal Mail was a step too far. She was "not prepared to have the Queen's Head privatised". Personally, I was more concerned when our water was privatised.

I wonder how long it will be before the queens head is replaced by Angie Merkel?

• Options

Saga Lout said:

I wonder how long it will be before the queens head is replaced by Angie Merkel?

Or Richard Branson's?
  • Options

It is estimated that the UK taxpayer would be £720 million better off if Royal Mail shares had floated at 450p. Does anyone in Govt know what they are doing, or was it deliberately undervalued in the hope that we will all pile in for the next flotation?

Definitely needed it to be a "success" for future flotations but to be fair the thing was unsaleable a few years back and is fundamentally a crap business so 90% of theoretical fair value is a reasonable result in context.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Definitely needed it to be a "success" for future flotations but to be fair the thing was unsaleable a few years back and is fundamentally a crap business so 90% of theoretical fair value is a reasonable result in context.
    As well as getting if off the governments books maybe its also a way of giving people a few quid in their pocket to spend/whatever to buy votes at the next election?

We'll all pay more in the end.

• Options

I wonder if a few politicians made a bit of money from undervaluing the shares at opening.
  • Options
    We should buy back the Utility companies, buy out all the PFI contracts. As we are skint we cant. The Tories never will and labour will say they might but its another lie.
    Sell off the BBC.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Or Richard Branson's?
    Convicted tax evader
  • Options

We should buy back the Utility companies, buy out all the PFI contracts. As we are skint we cant. The Tories never will and labour will say they might but its another lie.
    Sell off the BBC.

The BBC's a great idea , what about the Royal family as well? :-0

• Options
    Perhaps Nike could buy the Royals out?